PDA

View Full Version : Camper Trailer Build

dazzler
16th Aug 2009, 10:27 PM
Hi all

well I am building another trailer. This time its a Camper Trailer based on a dual cab ute tub. It will have a fold out tent that has a queen size bed on top of the trailer.

Heres the tub;

And heres the sketch's;

Hoping to keep it under 500kg :-

I also want to put a boat rack on to carry a light zodiac inflatable that swings away so the tent can come up. More sketchup :)

Photos of the build to come.

Yonnee
17th Aug 2009, 09:48 PM
On ya Daz. Keep us posted.

dazzler
24th Sep 2009, 09:48 PM
Hi all

Were off and building,

Chassis is made from 50mm shs with a 2mm wall. Many suggest a 3mm wall however the ute tub is structural in itself so it should be fine.

The rear tub mounts to the chassis through these two bolts that I have secured so that the chassis stays square as I build the middle and front mounts.

Here is my new Orac 360deg coupling. It means I can still tow if the trailer flips over :doh:

Here is setting out for the spring hangers. I am using eye to eye shackle springs by alko.

A good trick I have learnt is to use a metal scribe instead of a marker pen. Much better as the lines are much thinner and it is easier to get the steel lined up for welding.

This weekend I hope to weld the spring hangers and fit the drawbar which will tie back into the front spring hangers. Also have to make up mounts for the other four tub mounts. I can then flip it over and put on stands.

Camper top is purchased and should be here soonish.

mikm
7th Oct 2009, 09:40 AM
G'day Dazzler.
I'm interested to know if you went with an imported tent or had one made up locally?
Cheers,
Mick

dazzler
7th Oct 2009, 05:03 PM
Hi all

Here are a few more shots of work done over the weekend;
Tub mounts and spring hangers tacked on;

Then marked the centres of the frame crossmembers and used a stringline to line up the drawbar for centre;

Then set up drawbar so that it connected with each front hanger. I tacked it so that it would pivot off this point as I set the drawbar inline.

Then fitted up the axle and wheels off my 8x5 to find the height of the tub once on the frame so I can work out what size tyres to use;

Then used my skidder to lift the tub onto the frame (I was on my own otherwise 2 can lift it);

And finally checked the height;

I had an awful time welding this time and couldnt work it out for ages. Finally found that the shed I hooked my mig up to (instead of the house) had been powered using an extension cord through conduit by the previous owner and had less power. Went back to the main house outlet and away she went.

Costs so far - Chassis steel + labour = $245
Springs 165
Ute tub 300
Orac coupling 180

PLUS Drawbar steel 160

Total to date: $1050.00

cheers

dazzler
7th Oct 2009, 05:06 PM
Hi Mikm

I have gone with an imported one from ebay. $1900 delivered to tassie with annexe walls etc. 14oz canvas

I plan on using it maybe for 3 weeks a year so it will suit us okay.

cheers

mikm
7th Oct 2009, 08:19 PM
Be nice to hear from you with some feedback after you've used it a time or two.
It's very difficult to argue with the price of the imported stuff - 2 to 2.5k buys an awful lot of real estate off the web. I did a drive-by past a canvas place recently and was told a simple folding tent without extra rooms, annex, etc. would be 4k+:oo:
I'm in the design phase of a 7 x 4 trailer that will double as a camper and have yet to make up my mind about imports vs custom made for the tent. I like the idea of locally made product, but i'll have to see examples of both in the flesh first to see if I can justify the price difference.
Cheers,
Mick

mikm
7th Oct 2009, 08:26 PM
Also, has the weight distribution worked out ok? Would the tub over the back of the axle end up being a bit heavier than an empty toolbox at the front and make it a bit floaty when empty?

dazzler
7th Oct 2009, 09:10 PM
Hey

As it sits at the moment it is very slightly tail heavy and the front can be pushed down with a little finger so its very close. Surprising how much weight is in the drawbar. At the rear will be a 70 litre water tank and two wind down rear stabilisers. The kitchen will also be in the very rear.

This will balance against the spare tyre under the front of the frame and the damn big box (1650x760x550) that will store all the camp gear.

I also need to sort out where to put the 3hp outboard which may go across in front of the box.

I also have to store a 2.4m zodiac either on a boat rack or stored.

Then theres the dual deepcycle batteries, fridge, poles.......the list goes on.

I should get it balanced pretty well I hope.

It took me a while to decide on import v local. My brother bought one on ebay and I cant fault it so ended up going with it.

Wahoon
11th Oct 2009, 04:33 PM
Dazzler,
from your photo's, (although if I understand correctly, the axle and wheel set shown is for mock up and not the final?) it appears there is more than reasonable distance between the spring and the wheel, which will promote bending of the axle due to leverage.
Although there is no hard and fast set distance, the inside of the tyre needs to be relatively close to the spring, approx an 0.750 to 1". You need distance so that as the axle articulates, the tyre wont rub, but too much and with leverage, you could be prone to axle bending on the outboard side of the spring.

Cheers,
Wahoon.

dazzler
11th Oct 2009, 09:12 PM
Hi Dion

Yep, just so I could work out the best profile for the tyres. The axle that is in the photo is off my 8 x 5 trailer - amazing how wide they are :p.

Thanks for watching and keeping an eye out!

cheers

dazzler

dazzler
11th Oct 2009, 10:03 PM
A bit more done;

New axle and Ford pattern hubs on a 66inch axle.

Three new 195R14 light truck tyres on new sunraysia rims.

Fitted up nice and height of top of tub is 1050mm which is baby bears breakfast!

Also welded on the Orac coupling.

Its now perfectly balanced as it sits without the box on the front which should add some towball weight.

Costs so far;

Costs so far - Chassis steel + labour = $245
Springs 165
Ute tub 300
Orac coupling 180
Drawbar steel 160
PLUS
3 New tyres/rims 550
Axle/hubs/ubolts etc 175

Total to date: $1775.00

cheers

jatt
12th Oct 2009, 07:03 AM
I did a drive-by past a canvas place recently and was told a simple folding tent without extra rooms, annex, etc. would be 4k+

Sure its expensive, but if its made from decent canvas and the design is good well....
Quality of the flyscreen.

Is it setup to allow for shrinkage of canvas over time without tearing? Protection from canvas being torn where it normally pinches?

Does the design allow for add ons (awning/annex later on)

Does the design allow the floor to be removed easily so maintenence can be carried out at a later date?

If the cover is made from a good material and its attachment to the trailer is good.... The better the dust and rain protection the better of course.

Future resale value.

Etc......

I cant stress enough, do your research before buying.

Sometimes one has to look past the initial price tag.

I have yet to see a decent camper top come from China.

mikm
12th Oct 2009, 09:09 AM
jatt, my general agreement with you is why I am still looking at local product...:wink:

A few thoughts:

if its made from decent canvas I reckon the qualilty of lack thereof in canvas and flyscreens in local gear is soley determined by your wallet, not geography. You can can easily buy rubbish locally if you're silly enough to want it.

and the design is good At the places I've been to so far, the quality of design has no relation to product origin - people seem happy to make up something based on my design effort, but I haven't yet found anyone with an off the shelf solution. Keeping in mind that I've only looked at a couple of places so far. The tents that I have seen produced all seem to be for "Joe Bloggs off road campers" and are understandably, not available for retail.

Is it setup to allow for shrinkage of canvas over time without tearing? Protection from canvas being torn where it normally pinches? Good point. Less likely with the imports, I'd imagine.

Does the design allow for add ons (awning/annex later on) Most of the Chinese stuff seems to. Local stuff depends on your own design, as above
Floor design, cover and resale - Agree, agree and agree.

Sometimes one has to look past the initial price tag.Definitely, but the choices still need to be within what ever cost benefit ratio applies to you.

With apologies for hijacking Dazzler's thread: jatt, have a good enough experience with canvas stuff made locally that you can suggest a reputable business?

dazzler
12th Oct 2009, 05:07 PM
Hi all, hijack away!

My brother has an ebay tent and its fine. I think it comes down to your expectations. I am not spending a lot so can expect the quality to be not as good as some. As long as it keeps the flies and rain out I am :D!

I expect to use mine maybe five weekends a year and a fortnight in the xmas holidays. Rarely will I use it in winter and we will tend to set it up and then set it down after the holiday.

cheers

jatt
13th Oct 2009, 07:07 AM
Yeah sorry for hijacking too.

Naturally its "your money Ralph" so to speak. Spend a lot of time fixing up campers from other manufacturers so I get to see the good, and not so good after they have had some wear and tear. A lot of my work in this area is replacing travel covers on various makes of camper.

Not saying this manufacturer are the only ones making a good product. I know they will happily sell u the tent by itself.

Try Lockwood Canvas, just out of Bendigo on the Calder Alternate Highway.

Addr: 980 Alternate Calder Highway Lockwood.

Lockwood Canvas Repairs (http://www.lockwoodcanvas.com.au/)

Ok heres the ph no: 03 5435 3336

mikm
13th Oct 2009, 09:51 AM
Thanks, jatt. I'll check 'em out next time I'm up that way.:2tsup:

Yonnee
8th Dec 2009, 08:42 PM
OK Dazzler, where are we at?

You've had two months... C'mon, where's the pics?

ROFL... I should talk!!

munruben
19th Dec 2009, 06:00 PM
Would be interesting to see how its coming along.