PDA

View Full Version : Welding across the drawbar

Tigershark
5th Aug 2009, 08:59 AM
My draw bar is made from box section 65mm x 50mm x 3mm, I found out to late that you should not weld across the top of the drawbar at the point where it goes under the front cross beam, as it can eventually fracture at this point from fatigue. .
To overcome this problem I was thinking of stitch welding some Flat bar 250mm x 50mm x 6mm at this point on either side of the box section. Do you think this will help or does anyone have expierence or a proven solution that may help overcome this problem.

thanks in advance tigershark

Yonnee
6th Aug 2009, 10:36 AM
Hey Tigershark.

Firstly, how big is the trailer, and what do you expect to carry in it?

The problem is the flexing the drawbar has at this point when fully loaded, it needs to be able to move. Welding across the drawbar tries to stop this movement, which is why it eventually leads to cracking. However, the weld itself is much stronger than the steel around it, so it starts to crack the steel around it.

To solve your problem, I would get your grinder out with a cutting wheel, and take out as much of the weld as you can, then gusset it as seen on Dazzler and My trailers (which is what you've described above anyway).