Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by glivo View Post
    Being a retired metalwork teacher I've already welded.
    Hi glivo,
    If you have oxy acetylene experience that would be invaluable to future tig learning.
    The basic manipulations are almost identical.
    Some of the best tig operators I ever knew were ex oxy welders..

However one should never think that the process is a do everything process.Like all of the other processes it has ideal applications and others were it is severely limited. Breezes and anything less than highly cleaned welding surfaces are the enemies of TIG.

As you say TIG needs those extras and for those of us with limited discretionary budgets, choices need to be made.

Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by Commander_Keen View Post

So with this in mind... nothing stopping a user getting a industry standard CK 9/17/26 series TIG torch with the appropriate DINSE SAFE-LOC style connector, and just run a torch with a valve on it (and run the gas straight to the reg, bypassing any internal gas solenoid, if any).
    It needs to be at the very least a switched torch as well as having the valve, or a separate switch used, (ie: foot pedal switch only). Yes, these torches are available but as far as I can see not with the required 8 pin plug. There is no gas throughput on the welder in the TIG path. The gas hose is connected direct to the regulator, (unlike MIG mode). Either way the electrical switching of the torch in either 2T or 4T mode must be done going through the 8 pin plug into the socket on the machine. No escaping that fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Commander_Keen View Post
    Each to their own, but if a machine were a bargain, and I was certain I needed the features hindered by a silly 8 pole proprietary or obscure connection, I'd tap into the wires internally and make it work with the plug type I want (eg a 7 pin amphenol).
    I'm not about to tap into any circuitry on a brand new machine at the beginning of the 3 year warranty period.

The plug in question is an Amphenol type 8 pin CIGWELD part number is UOA706900 and Amphenol 206434-1. (outer shell / strain relief separate)

TorchMaster list this but no picture " ERCP6 8 pin Male Plug" https://torchmaster.com.au/products-...zipper-covers/

Here is the USA ESAB model.

https://www.ebay.com.au/i/273805080027?chn=ps

For just torch switching only pins 2 & 3 are required. For current control / wire feed (spool gun in Mig mode) etc pins 5 - 8 are utilised. A 6 or even 7 pin plug and socket would have sufficed. I think it will be easier to just fork out the the Cigweld Torch @ $149.

Quote Originally Posted by Grahame Collins View Post
    If you have oxy acetylene experience that would be invaluable to future tig learning.
    The basic manipulations are almost identical.
    Some of the best tig operators I ever knew were ex oxy welders..
    I do. When the old 130 failed recently I had to drag out the Oxy set to do the required weld. The beginning of a slippery slope of dipping into the pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Grahame Collins View Post
    As you say TIG needs those extras and for those of us with limited discretionary budgets, choices need to be made.
    It isn't as though the need for extra gear was a surprise. I knew full well the Tig gear isn't included. I am not even too surprised that Cigweld use a "non-standard" plug. In saying this though, the cost of their basic switched torch is not unreasonable compared to industry stuff, so if it has quality then no problem really.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12