Default How heavy is your mag drill?

I recently got a very old (60's maybe) Fein/Finomag magnetic drill for almost no money, and I was excited to put it to use simply because it has about twice the drilling capacity as my Bridgeport. (2 5/8") but that does come at a price because the Finomag (Made by someone other than fein in belgium evidently) Mag base weighs 53 Kilos! I can barely move and there is no way I could get it horizontal without a second person. Are any of the modern mag drills this heavy? Need to eat some more weetbix I guess

If you're going to use it on a fairly regular basis, I'd look at using an engine crane to lift it onto whatever you're wanting to drill.
    Kryn
    To grow old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

That is some excessive weight there! Most modern magnetic drills average at around 10-15kgs with the heaviest being around 25kg but that would be with auto feed and larger diameter drilling capability. At work we use overhead cranes so weight isn't really an issue anyway.

I suspect mine weighs about50kg.... its from the 70s. The base weighs about half that and the drill is a 4 speed 1.25Hp monster though...
    Cheers, Joe
    retired - less energy, more time to contemplate projects and more shed time....

Mine is a Fein and about 10kg, with a capacity of it says 75mm. That is with a rotabroach of course.
    Gold, the colour of choice for the discerning person.

Really late with the photos but here it is, I am yet to clean it up but the magnet grips albeit not incredibly well (I can break its grip on big i beams) and the drill works. Can anything be done to bring some zip back to the electro magnet?
    20180520_202039.jpg20180520_202056.jpg

Hi. These magnets typically run on DC, produced by a bridge rectifier from the mains AC. If one of the diodes has failed, then the magnet only gets half-wave pulses and looses about half its force. Mine has 4 individual diodes, yours may have a single full-wave rectifier. If it is as old as you think, then there may even be a selenium rectifier in there somewhere. FInd it and replace it with a modern silicone rectifier and try again.
    The other big influence to strenght is the flatness of the the bottom of the magnet surface - and the part it hangs on to. Level the magnet surface nice and flat to give it the best chance. A very uneven or rusty surface on the I-Beam will also prevent it hanging on tight. You should not be able to pull it off by hand.
    Cheers, Joe
    retired - less energy, more time to contemplate projects and more shed time....