Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 20 of 20
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    855

    Default

    In the home straight now - sorted out a few details - welded on the hinges for the removable back gate, reminding me how much I hate that task, as the damn things never turn out smooth and free

    The other addition was front guides/supports - the tub falls dead straight, but with a load in it, and sideways on an incline, I can see the front wanting to shift sideways, hence the bits of flat bar - I did the bend by cutting 2/3rds through on the bandsaw, bending, then welding over the cut.

    In this pic you can also see the one of the (surprisingly few) mistakes I made - the 40mm cross-member should have been lower to rest on the drawbar, rather than flush with the top of the side rails. I used 30mm SHS to connect to the drawbar, and may add something more substantial if I decide to add hold-down latches like Kryn suggested.

    IMG_2250.jpg


    I pulled it all apart again and managed to shoot a first coat of paint. The forecast for the rest of the week has a max of 12 degrees until Thursday, then it gets even colder, so need to get the final paint sorted in the next day or two...

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    855

    Default

    I got two coats on, had planned for more, but it's so cold, and getting colder, it seems like a futile exercise waiting for enough hours above 10 degrees with no wind.

    So I put it back together:

    IMG_2257.jpg

    My plan is to put it to work - there's a few test jobs I've got waiting for it, then a few real jobs which were the motivation to get on make this thing.

    Last task is to put in the floor - I picked up a sheet of 2mm gal - it was that annoying dimension of something like 1220 x 2440, so not only did I have to cut it down to 1800, but trim the long side to 1200.

    I decided to do an experiment in sheet trimming. For the shorter cut to bring it to 1800 long, I used a 5" Lennox diamond wheel freehand following a line using a fairly powerful 1,400W or so angle grinder. It cut fairly quickly pushing it to its limit, but there was a significant burr top and bottom that took quite a few passes to clean up - taking probably longer than the actual cut took.

    For the longer cut to bring the width down to 1200, I used the plasma cutter at 35A running along a length of 5 x 50 aluminium flat bar clamped to the sheet. It cut much faster, as expected, but also was much quicker to clean up - I just used a file to rake off the brittle dross, then a few more quick passes to smooth off the edges, and it was done in maybe 30 seconds to a minute - a fraction of the time compared to the angle grinder.

    After a bit of consideration, I decided to glue the floor down with globs of Sika 221 - it avoids damage to the paint and galvanising compared to welding and spans the random gaps around the chassis.

    I'll give it a day or so for the glue to set up, get some pics of the finished trailer and try it out.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    855

    Default

    And we're done!

    IMG_2258.jpg

    She needs more coats of paint, and some hot sun to harden it up, but that'll have to wait a few months.

    Hooked it up to a tow vehicle for a test:
    IMG_2259.jpg

    Not a huge, nor particularly heavy load, but would normally take a bit of effort to get off.

    IMG_2260.jpgIMG_2261.jpg

    But with this setup, really quick and easy, and oddly satisfying. The winch has 3 speeds, using the middle speed didn't require much effort, obviously getting easier as the load raised.

    I'll take it out to the property which I made it for and see how it goes - there's much heavier loads that need to be shifted there. My only thought is whether I should make up some cage sides for it...

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    East Warburton, Vic
    Posts
    308

    Default

    You’ve got to be happy with that, bet ya had a grin on the face when ya dumped that load.
    Cheers

    DJ

  5. #20
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Murray Bridge S Aust.
    Age
    66
    Posts
    3,187

    Default

    Regarding the side gates, depends on what you plan on putting in there. Branches and the likes will catch on the sides, whether they be mesh, bars etc.
    If you're planning on branches etc, I'd look at using sheet metal, folded into a G at the top, to give max strength, and folded to a right angle at the bottom, this will give you a solid cage with no extra weight. The front gate could be folded on the 4 sides so that the front edge of the sides could be bolted together, again a weight saver.
    For the top G section, I'd fold it 12mm 25mm and 50mm, the bottom fold would be the width of the edge of your trailer, ie 50mm, which would give an height of approx 1050.
    Kryn
    To grow old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Tipping Alloy Tray Trailer Build
    By shodown in forum TRAILERS & OTHER FABRICATED STUFF
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 22nd Sep 2015, 09:53 PM
  2. Tipping Trailer Pivot Pin & Bush Supplier Req'd
    By Bad Fruit in forum TRAILERS & OTHER FABRICATED STUFF
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 9th May 2012, 12:37 AM
  3. AL-54B CNC Conversion
    By aussiejoeblow in forum METALWORK GENERAL
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 22nd Jul 2011, 09:38 PM
  4. Simple phase conversion
    By nadroj in forum METALWORK GENERAL
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 29th Sep 2009, 02:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •