Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hi Don,

I'm a bit late reading this thread but I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts. Your techniques employed and attention to detail are to be admired. Boy do I have a lot yet to learn!

Nice work Don.

Simon
    Girl, I don't wanna know about your mild-mannered alter ego or anything like that." I mean, you tell me you're, uh, super-mega-ultra-lightning babe? That's all right with me. I'm good. I'm good.

Hi Don

This is really impressive, makes the 040 steam loco I am making seem... well steam powered.

Regards

Ian

G'Day All,
    Thanks again to all that have sent likes etc.

I have fabricated the pivot head for the front of the roller & after grit blasting it should look like a casting. It has been fabricated from six pieces of shaped materials & then silver soldered together. My MAPP gas torch was at it limits to keep enough heat into the assembly to allow a reasonable flow of the silver solder. The bearing housing was turned with a 12˚ taper over the height with the other pieces being cut & shaped by hand. The last image painted with aching primer to see if it would look like a casting.

DSCF4643.jpgDSCF4645.jpgDSCF4647.jpgDSCF4650.jpg

The drawing called for the chassis rails to be made from 25 x 16 x 385 channel. Fat chance of buying that! So, the two rails have been mill from 25 x 25 black bar. Also, 19 x 10 channel is required as well as 10 x10 angle. Both of these will be milled.

DSCF4685.jpgDSCF4684.jpg

The rear axle block was also to be fabricated, but after the heating problems for the pivot head it was machined from a 75 X 75 X 75 piece of mild that has been lurking under the bench for years. The block will be fitted with two bronze plain bearings & will be riveted to the chassis rails.

DSCF4665.jpgDSCF4678.jpgDSCF4683.jpg

Currently turning the rear rollers from 150 x 64 solid stock. The rollers were to be fabricated also but, are well beyond my heating capacity.

This is a photo of the real deal that started it all.
    Aveling Barford DX8 roller.jpg

Regards,
    Don.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12