Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Hi Peter.
    There is patent category called "Innovation Patent" in Australia for exactly this sort of incremental development. I also have not been issued with it yet, but the application is registered. That may be enough to stop someone else buggering up the sales of the first production batch. At least we hope so

Sent from my InFocus M808 using Tapatalk
    Cheers, Joe
    almost completely retired - more time to contemplate projects and spend more shed time....

Hi Joe,
    Wish I'd known about the "Innovation Patent" 20 years ago.
    Kryn
    To grow old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

It was very similar to what was known as a 'Petty patent'. It probably would not matter though - some of the flaws with the patent system are that the holder is the one who has to defend the patent, and it only applies in the country that it is granted in. Therefore if someone in say India decides to make and sell Joe's holder there and a patent has not been granted in that country, there is nothing he can do to stop them. Further more, if someone decided to import those India holders into Australia, Joe would have to stump up the cash to prove a patent infringement. Even if he was in the right, it would not take long before any profit he has made is used up in lawyer's fees.
    Patents sound appealing but really they are not usually a viable option for a low cost product with a niche market.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael G View Post
    Patents sound appealing but really they are not usually a viable option for a low cost product with a niche market.

Michael
    The biological (patenting genes) and software patents granted that never should have been has made the system a farce. I think that the cost of enforcement falling on the patent holders is an excellent thing.

AFAIK you can only recover actual losses too, no penalty damages, and it's a strictly civil case. I could probably have patented various bits of software but far too much hassle for no return other than kudos.

PDW

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123