Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll and Hyde View Post
    I especially like the second last photo in the first post, that demonstrates how carefully the number of bolts and their tension has been selected in order to allow the perfect amount of float in the axial alignment of the drive coupling.... Must have taken hours and hours to get that adjustment just so.
    You noticed that too. It was a special piece of engineering.

how carefully the number of bolts
    Spot on. Unbelievable amount of calculation required here, also balanced by

their tension
    which in some cases was calculated to be very low to acheive the required result.

This process was of course made much more complicated by the fact that tha plate the pump is attached (is that the right word) to had to have a large bend put in it. I think the pump mounting is some kind of floating arrangement. Very clever. Beyond my understanding. Actually everything I see about the "engineer extraordinaire" who made this is beyond my understanding.

The same care was taken in placing the bolts used in the beam clamping for the knife slide. I did not get a shot that shows them properly, but their positions show exceptional care in calculating the clamping pressures required. No simple straight lines here. The knife picture shows a side on view, but to get a proper appreciation you need to see the bolt pattern face on.

Dean

Dean I hope you are going to give this master piece a coat of paint.....how much can a coat of paint disguise? Who knows the paint may make it look.....
    Just do it!

Kind regards Rod

I don't think there is enough paint in the world to make it look good.

Quote Originally Posted by chambezio View Post
    Dean I hope you are going to give this master piece a coat of paint.....how much can a coat of paint disguise? Who knows the paint may make it look.....
    Me? No! Its not my problem. I will just get asked to get it going if it has problems as it is used by SWMBO's friend who has just managed to get rid of the engineer (hubby) who built it, at long last and won't want him near the place in case he takes root again.

I have enough problems with my own splitter. I have discovered that the hydraulic fill / dip tube which is about 350mm high has developed cracks around the weld. It is welded to an LPG cylinder (18kg?) which is sitting horizontal. As the tube is welded to the now top edge of the cylinder and the oil is less than half way it does not leak oil except for a tiny bit that must splash up somehow. Obviously the tube has been vibrating too much for many years. I had a lot of trouble trying to weld it originally. It just kept burning holes. That was before I had a mig and I am hoping it will be easier this time.

My splitter did get a coat of paint when I built it. Heritage green I think it is. I have some other structural improvements to make at some time and it will get a fresh coat then, maybe, if I have some paint. Maybe I can do it in Dance Studio Blue. (Shaper).

Keith has the right idea.

Dean

I too am having some problems in sorting out some hydraulic problems.
    In a job I have on I am trying to switch a hydraulic line on a swaging machine using a two position three port valve with a roller actuator at 700bar, problem is a valve at this rating and getting the spooling right. Next few days will be rigging up a trial before main build starts.
    Job before that was a Punch Machine to bend a 4mm tab down and convex in shape on a rail, 30 ton ram traveling 35mm, all custom made. Here is a picture in the building stage and finished stage at customers.

Keith_W.c.jpgPunch.jpg

That's the thing splitting big blocks can be dangerous and that machine could just blow apart at some point in the design . Not very safe to use but seems to have done a lot of work . If you could get it for nothing and use some of the basic parts it would be possible to build a good functioning machine but the ram would need rebuilding inside and possibly the motor is worn also . Probably not worth the hassle .
    The volume of a pizza of thickness 'a' and radius 'z' is given by pi z z a.

Which bits were you thinking of retaining? The towing drawbar looks to be in good shape, but I would not trust the coupling. The left wheel from behind is angled so the axle is bent. Tyres are total mismatch. The mast looks like a new bit of H section and is reasonably solid.

I started doing some work on my splitter yesterday. I want to strengthen the mast to prevent it twisting. It is 250mm I beam with 6mm flanges and probably 5mm web. Not really thick enough. I had a lot less experience when I built it and this bit was the only piece I could find at the steel merchants. They wouldn't supply cut lengths at that size. Some years ago a mate suggested boxing the top and adding some bracing to stop the twist. I did this. The bracing is 100mm x 6mm plate about 1800mm long. As soon as I used the splitter after this I realised I had put the braces on the wrong way around. Yesterday I cut these off. My intention is to add some 75mm x 55mm (cut to size) x 700mm angle to the inside of the mast where the knife slides. This will need a 6mm strip between it and the web to clear the radius of the I beam. All welded in securely. I will then box the ends of this length in with 8mm plate then put the bracing pieces back on, the right way around.

Dean

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12