Default demonstrate using a drawing board , traced out a machine part and cut it on plasma

https://youtu.be/2ggY0m3dQUk tracing out a metal part and cutting it with plasma
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Woodman and welcome to our forum.
    Its usual for most first posters to say hi and introduce themselves, otherwise ,possibly we could become cynical and think it was spam.

Not too many of us have multi thousand dollar CNC machines here and are mostly backyarder diy folks. We have a few self employed blokes that may have toys like that, but not a lot of them.

Again welcome.
    Grahame

Yes I think from memory this setup wasn't cheap. casually looked into it. I think its fair to say its out of the reach of most of the guys around here!!!

Even dearer than the $7000 odd bucks the factory wants to charge me for their own propriety system to run off my tables software.

Like the man says, if you are only here to trying flog a product; to the spam folder you go.
    www.lockwoodcanvas.com.au

I will never be the person who has everything, not when someone keeps inventing so much cool new stuff to buy.

From an early age my father taught me to wear welding gloves . "Its not to protect your hands son, its to put out the fire when u set yourself alight".

Default tracing a part

Yes you are right its expensive, I bought my setup back in 2008 , found a used cal- com board and bought john walsh's software to do the traces to dxf format.
    I just cannot seem to grasp cad software, mind you I can draw basic things in cad
    So I got this setup and people ask if its hard to do so I make a few utubes to show how easy it is
    Also I did not introduce myself as there is not much to say I love these cnc machines and I am always in awe watching the cuts that I draw out.
    Also here is one for a weather vane

https://youtu.be/_fURWE-QSaM weather vane drawing and plasma cut
    What I paid back in 2008 it was well worth while for me, as I use the dxf format on all my machines
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by woodman12; 5th Jun 2017 at 01:39 AM. Reason: added a video

I just cannot seem to grasp cad software, mind you I can draw basic things in cad
    yes one has to commit a fair degree of time to get ones head around CAD. I'm still scratching my head a bit, and am only working in 2D.

My racket is fabric cutting. Would need several boards as my table is 3200 x 3600 mm (some jobs I am using every bit of it), with the option to go larger in the length dept. The PC simply divides it into frames and you drag the material though. Saves me having a monster table that, frankly, wouldn't fit in the shed.
    www.lockwoodcanvas.com.au

I will never be the person who has everything, not when someone keeps inventing so much cool new stuff to buy.

From an early age my father taught me to wear welding gloves . "Its not to protect your hands son, its to put out the fire when u set yourself alight".

Default size of the boards

The drawing boards vary in size and design, I have the 60 in by 11 foot right now, and that's 2 boards together , john walsh has put a lot more than 3 boards together , so he can suit whatever needs .He has developed software to cover the board joints, it does not skip a trace, its amazing ...they are called jumbo boards

The shed size and cost would be your issue!

I'd assume when you start getting up to large dimensions you may well be getting up to very heavy weights.

What's the durability of these boards when you have to crane a piece of metal onto them that may weigh well over a ton, especially if the part does not come down perfectly flat, i.e. a tonne or more of weight on the corner of the part. Do you instantly say bye bye to a few $Ks worth of digitising gear.

I've done automated reverse engineering digitising quite accurately on my plasma table, and weight is not an issue, because I built my table like a brick sh*thouse LOL.