Page 63 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1353585960616263
Results 931 to 944 of 944

Thread: Whisperings

  1. #931
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KBs PensNmore View Post
    ...if a disc of say 75 mm diameter were placed in between the 2 points and then eyeballed to being level,
    would that be dead on centre? Similar to a rule being placed on a round bar for drilling in the centre of the bar.
    In theory it would be, but the rule across the bar trick has one side supported by the bar, so the rule 'rolls' into the horizontal position. With two points it would be almost 'out-good-out' in a split second, and that is without trying to get both axis in together.

    Michael

  2. #932
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    North Yorkshire UK
    Posts
    1,423

    Default

    Hi Phil,

    Great pictures. The one with the 6" inch shaft and key ! That is quality work, the skimmed surface really shows off the precision and workmanship that went into that.

    Re "Locktite" in particular "Super Glues" and "Epoxies", Chemical bonding. The Japanese seem to assemble a lot of mechanical items this way. I've seen epoxy shaft seals on precision shafts and bearings, obviously cast in place. There is not a hope of any kind of repair or maintenance on that kind of thing.
    Best Regards:
    BaronJ.

  3. #933
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Murray Bridge S Aust.
    Age
    65
    Posts
    2,745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BaronJ View Post
    There is not a hope of any kind of repair or maintenance on that kind of thing.
    That's because we're a throw away society, but give it to Phil and he'll work out a way to fix it
    Fantastic work you do Phil, most of us could only dream of a job like yours. Thanks for the pics, and the way you show us how to go about fixing the "problems".
    Thanks for an answer Phil and Michael, it was just a thought.
    Kryn
    To grow old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

  4. #934
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ballarat
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BaronJ View Post
    Hi Phil,

    Great pictures. The one with the 6" inch shaft and key ! That is quality work, the skimmed surface really shows off the precision and workmanship that went into that.

    Re "Locktite" in particular "Super Glues" and "Epoxies", Chemical bonding. The Japanese seem to assemble a lot of mechanical items this way. I've seen epoxy shaft seals on precision shafts and bearings, obviously cast in place. There is not a hope of any kind of repair or maintenance on that kind of thing.
    Hi Baron
    it's like that all over the place at work. The best part is the keyways were put in with a shaper.
    The worst part of a 'throwaway world' is that the skills are thrown away as well.

    Phil

  5. #935
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Dural NSW
    Age
    75
    Posts
    1,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steamwhisperer View Post
    Good point Bob, I think I may have been working in the past too long.

    Phil
    Phil
    No Way, you are going well !!!!
    Bruce

  6. #936
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Far West Wimmera
    Age
    57
    Posts
    4,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael G View Post
    In theory it would be, but the rule across the bar trick has one side supported by the bar, so the rule 'rolls' into the horizontal position. With two points it would be almost 'out-good-out' in a split second, and that is without trying to get both axis in together.

    Michael
    I don't recall ever seeing this method used with 2 points, but by sheer coincidence YouTube's Doubleboost did this in his latest video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6DT1Epd65Q to check the alignment between his headstock and tailstock using a ruler.

    Dean

  7. #937
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ballarat
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KBs PensNmore View Post
    That's because we're a throw away society, but give it to Phil and he'll work out a way to fix it
    Fantastic work you do Phil, most of us could only dream of a job like yours. Thanks for the pics, and the way you show us how to go about fixing the "problems".
    Thanks for an answer Phil and Michael, it was just a thought.
    Kryn
    Hi Kryn
    I have no idea why I thanked you for the pics, I meant to click on thanks. Probably the swollen head I'm getting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Abratool View Post
    Phil
    No Way, you are going well !!!!
    Bruce
    Hi Bruce
    I have to admit it certainly is a dream job. It's a privilege getting to work on machinery of this vintage that's for sure.
    We have to replace one of the shoes on the battery soon so hopefully I will get some pics of how it is done. It involves some woodwork.

    For Baron
    Here are the pics of the keyways that were cut into the 6" shaft with a shaper

    Phil
    Phoenix crankshaft keyways (9).jpg Phoenix crankshaft keyways (1).jpg Phoenix crankshaft keyways (5).jpg Phoenix crankshaft keyways (6).jpg Phoenix crankshaft keyways (7).jpg Phoenix crankshaft keyways (8).jpg

  8. #938
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Murray Bridge S Aust.
    Age
    65
    Posts
    2,745

    Default

    Thanks for the pics, shows what they were capable of back then. Re the thanks for pics, I have fat fingers to.
    Kryn
    To grow old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

  9. #939
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    North Yorkshire UK
    Posts
    1,423

    Default

    Hi Phil,

    Thanks for the pictures of the shaped keyway slot. I was a little surprised by how the tool had torn the metal in the bottom of the slot, rather than cut it in some places, however I could see no trace of that from the end of the shaft picture. Still I think that it is a brilliant fit and worthy of praise. I doubt that I could have achieved such perfection on the mill with a slot drill.

    Forgot to mention, I noted the initials dotted into the base of the slot. Nice idea.
    Best Regards:
    BaronJ.

  10. #940
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ballarat
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BaronJ View Post
    Hi Phil,

    Thanks for the pictures of the shaped keyway slot. I was a little surprised by how the tool had torn the metal in the bottom of the slot, rather than cut it in some places, however I could see no trace of that from the end of the shaft picture. Still I think that it is a brilliant fit and worthy of praise. I doubt that I could have achieved such perfection on the mill with a slot drill.

    Forgot to mention, I noted the initials dotted into the base of the slot. Nice idea.
    Hi Baron
    I should mention that the rough keyway is for the flywheeel and not the disc crank. I'm guessing that the flywheel isn't as important as the crank though they are on the same shaft.


    A little breakdown occurred on the large Phoenix engine on one of the drip feed lubricators. The needle that meters the amount of oil to the bearing area broke.
    I pulled it apart and found that it had been renewed at a previous time and was not quite machined to the correct dimensions and consequently made it a bit weaker than it possibly should be.
    A new one was in order.

    Phil
    Phoenix7 copy.jpg 20170720_085544 copy.jpg 20170720_084933 copy.jpg 20170720_085619 copy.jpg 20170720_091008 copy.jpg 20170720_094832 copy.jpg 20170720_103950 copy.jpg 20170720_105937 copy.jpg 20170720_115020 copy.jpg 20170720_114237 copy.jpg 20170720_123700 copy.jpg

  11. #941
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steamwhisperer View Post
    A little breakdown occurred on the large Phoenix engine on one of the drip feed lubricators. The needle that meters the amount of oil to the bearing area broke.
    It does beg the question how though - I would have thought there would be comparatively little force on a needle like that and next to nothing that was not along the axis

    Quote Originally Posted by Steamwhisperer View Post
    Now that I find astounding. Perhaps you need to set up a crowd funding page to get the cash together if work won't stump up.

    Michael

  12. #942
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ballarat
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael G View Post
    It does beg the question how though - I would have thought there would be comparatively little force on a needle like that and next to nothing that was not along the axis
    We used to have a bloke that loved to just hit the top of the 'acorn' to turn them off and sometimes they didn't line up with direction his hand was going and he would consistently bend the needle.
    He's gone now.



    Quote Originally Posted by Michael G View Post
    Now that I find astounding. Perhaps you need to set up a crowd funding page to get the cash together if work won't stump up.
    Some things do confound me Michael as it always takes much much longer to set up the Dormac mill which doesn't have a quill. Raising the table just to drill a hole is most annoying.
    I can assure you that there is no feel for how the drill bit is loading up doing it that way.

  13. #943
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cairns, Q
    Posts
    462

    Default

    Thanks for the photos - they might provide the incentive to do something about a small pair of Chinese drip feed oilers I bought some time ago to replace the original wick oilers on the old Brackenbury and Austin lathe headstock spindle. When I fitted them one wouldn't turn off and the lowest feed rate of the second one is so high it empties the glass in a few minutes, so the old wick oilers went back on. I could have sent them back to the UK for a refund I suppose, but the return freight would probably have exceeded the value of the oilers. Another lesson not to buy cheap Chinese, but alternative small drip feed oilers in this size, from memory about 1" diameter with 1/4" BSP threads are surprisingly hard to find a anything like an affordable price.

    Frank.

  14. #944
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ballarat
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,930

    Default

    Definitely worth pulling them apart Frank as they quite often just need to be lapped with a bit of cutting compound. A guide machined up that fits the riser tube and allows the needle to fit inside it (like a custom bit of tube) is all that is needed and lap away.

    Phil

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •