Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    victoria
    Posts
    500

    Default Waldown 8SN drill press change belt/ speed questions

    please welcome me to the Waldown Club
    I can't work out how to change belt position on this drill . i have done the usual thing like other drill but this waldown seem too tight to move the motor to lossen the belt ( have have lossen the two side bolt )_DSC6754.jpg_DSC6755.jpg_DSC6756.jpg_DSC6757.jpg_DSC6758.jpg.
    any one here know what wrong ?
    Peter

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Burnie/ Adelaide
    Age
    53
    Posts
    4,525

    Default

    Like you, I would have thought that would do it. I'm wondering whether some of the oil/ grease that should be helping is gummed up and acting like a glue. Penetrating oil to free it up?

    Michael
    PS - congratulations and welcome.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    victoria
    Posts
    500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael G View Post
    Like you, I would have thought that would do it. I'm wondering whether some of the oil/ grease that should be helping is gummed up and acting like a glue. Penetrating oil to free it up?

    Michael
    PS - congratulations and welcome.
    Hi Michael.
    i will clean those two motor suport post see if they free up .but at the moment they are very tight . some presure didn't seem to move them at all.
    cheers
    Peter

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    8,225

    Default

    I assume you are using the small lever to try and move the motor?
    I'm guessing you have the wrong belts. From here it doesnt look like the motor could move much(if at all) further forward before hitting the belt guard.
    You could try squeezing the belts together.

    Depending how tight they are you might be able to roll the front Vee belt off the front pulley. That should let you get the back one off.

    Stuart
    Last edited by Stustoys; 15th Sep 2013 at 09:52 PM. Reason: spellimg

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ballarat
    Age
    59
    Posts
    2,933

    Default

    Hi Peter,
    Did you take the side bolts right out and check to make sure there isn't anything like a grub screw in there as well.

    Phil

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Far West Wimmera
    Age
    57
    Posts
    4,095

    Default

    In picture 2 and 5 there is a grub screw just under the pulley lower cover. Is this one of the bolts you undid. This is what adjusts tension on my cheapy drill press although mine is a lot less fancy and has lots of slop.

    Dean

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    victoria
    Posts
    500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steamwhisperer View Post
    Hi Peter,
    Did you take the side bolts right out and check to make sure there isn't anything like a grub screw in there as well.

    Phil
    Thanks guy.
    no Grub screws under those side bolts . i just give them a bit of RC and see how it go tomorrow. the belt seem to be the right tention now . i just want to get them lose so i can change speeds. i'm sure some here do own the 8SN will chime in.
    cheers all
    Peter

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Perth WA
    Age
    65
    Posts
    5,828

    Default

    I did chime in Peter but then pulled the post. I had thought that the motor support bars may have been damaged by the lock screws, preventing their easy adjustment but the damage would have to be catastrophic. Walown milled flats on the bars to prevent that from happening. My budget Waldown Workmax has the same 3 pulley / 2 belt arrangement as the 8SN. The motor was difficult to move. I made new bars. They slide more readily than the originals. The 8SN / Workmax motor adjustment is certainly not a convenient thing. It is on Waldown's 2M / 3M.



    I did change the lock screws to thumbscrews on the Workmax - http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/an...ml#post1480789

    BT

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    victoria
    Posts
    500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anorak Bob View Post
    I did chime in Peter but then pulled the post. I had thought that the motor support bars may have been damaged by the lock screws, preventing their easy adjustment but the damage would have to be catastrophic. Walown milled flats on the bars to prevent that from happening. My budget Waldown Workmax has the same 3 pulley / 2 belt arrangement as the 8SN. The motor was difficult to move. I made new bars. They slide more readily than the originals. The 8SN / Workmax motor adjustment is certainly not a convenient thing. It is on Waldown's 2M / 3M.



    I did change the lock screws to thumbscrews on the Workmax - http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/an...ml#post1480789

    BT
    Thanks Bob.
    you done a great job on those motor suport . those on the 8SN are also milled flat where the bolt screw into . danm they are tight . not sliding at all with normal force . i have spray some CRC on them this afternoon and will wait till tomorrow to re-try again . hope it will help .
    regards
    Peter

Similar Threads

  1. Waldown Drill Press
    By KevM in forum METALWORK GENERAL
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 1st Sep 2011, 01:31 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •