PDA

View Full Version : crane mount

jatt
24th Jun 2009, 11:52 PM
I'm sure most of us have seen ute cranes on trailers before. Figured I would have a crack at making a mount for one whilst giving the trailer a paint up.

So here is what I came up with. Top is 8mm plate with a 5 mm angle extension. Extension actually goes outside the guards, figured this might pushing the rules a bit, so I made it so it could detach with the crane base. Under the trailer I have welded a couple of 75 x 50 mm between the "ribs" and ran 50 x 50 mm between them to form the base of the mount. The uprights are 5 mm angle to support the top.

I put the whole show to the test recently when I removed a heap of garden rocks and a rather stubborn fence post. Once I find a suitable wind down leg I will attach it beneith the trailer as the suspension sagged somewhat when pulling out the post.

When I bought the trailer it a was a very basic affair. No carrier for the spare of tie offs above the guards. Over time I have added these on as well as making detachable tradie bars. Currently making ramps, more pics of these to follow once I get my act together and take some.

joe greiner
25th Jun 2009, 09:43 PM
A flip-down strut, similar to a bicycle kick stand, might be simpler than the wind-down leg. It could be about 25mm shy of "perfect," to accommodate varying terrain, and still reduce trailer sag. It looks like you have enough room to drill holes for the axle and locking pins, without removing the rig from the trailer frame.

Very nice work, BTW.:2tsup:

Cheers,
Joe

Yonnee
26th Jun 2009, 12:38 AM
Nice one Jatt.

Does the crane itself swivel?

Also, a piece of SHS welded upright to the outside of that L/H rear light box, with another tube sliding up & down inside it, with either a pin arrangement (like a jack stand) or a "T" handle made up from a bolt and a piece of rod welded across its head and a nut welded to the outside tube giving you a clamp arrangement for height adjustability, would stop the trailer sagging under load.

jatt
26th Jun 2009, 07:26 PM
Yep the crane swivels. Its just one of those off the shelf units one buys with a bottle jack to push up the crane boom. Simply sits in the base and employs a bearing to provide azimuth (horizonal rotation).

Some interesting ideas for me to ponder wrt to a drop down leg.