PDA

View Full Version : Probably a stupid idea, But...

Franklin
24th Jun 2009, 07:54 PM
all these threads about using ute trays for trailers made me think, and now I
am considering finding an old 60 series landcruiser and using the rear half for a covered off road camp trailer. From the rear of front doors back.

Any idea what this would weigh? (Tare)

Using the original diff (and brakes, springs, chassis etc) I assume I could license this for a couple of tonne. which would probably give me about a tonne capacity.

Does anyone (pref in WA) know if there is any licensing problems with using vehicle axles/diffs/brakes/springs etc. on a trailer.

Please shoot this down in flames so I can buy some RHS and build a normal (teardrop) trailer.

cheers
Frank

China
24th Jun 2009, 10:54 PM
I can't offer any idea on weight but I would not use the diff, replace it with trailer axle less weight, less things to break

Buzza
24th Jun 2009, 11:16 PM
I got booked at weighbridge once upon a time, for being a couple of tons over the limit. My mate in front of me, with the same rig and a load was waved off and sent on his way. The officer and myself "discussed" the offence, but he kept pointing to his scales which said I was overloaded and quite a bit as well. I gazed out at the semi parked with her back to me, when I realised that the short rig, was made up from an old 16 tonner Leyland, for carrying 20 foot containers. Two diffs were left in situ, and caused the overloading problem. It's best you get a new custom made axle hub to hub, set-up with brakes. The idea of the body is brilliant, as the old Landrovers were ally from memory. I have seen them made from Mini Minor S/W's up to the larger vans. Dump the diff, it will weigh heaps, and yes, the scalies do weigh boat trailers and campers, especially homemade ones. Here in S. A; they get you at the boat ramps. :((

Yonnee
26th Jun 2009, 12:25 AM
It's not such a "stupid" idea, but I do agree with the extra weight involved with a vehicle differential. Maybe if you removed the crownwheel and pinion, and the figure out some way of stopping the axle ends from flopping around, as well as keeping the bearings lubricated... And then there's the issue that some registration authorities are requiring things to be certified that aren't required to be in the National regulations.

So, as far as weight capacity goes, you can have up to 2 tonne (trailer and load) with working brakes. But in some cases you may have to prove that the axle will carry that load. It's a bit easier with a trailer axle, as there's a given rating for particular bearing combinations and axle sizes.

If I may put it another way, as the manufacturer of the trailer, the onus is on you to make sure the trailer is built to carry the loads that you state on the VIN plate. Even after you no longer own the trailer, you as the manufacturer are still liable. So if you rate the car axle at 2000Kg, and it lets go sometime down the track and causes someone an injury or a fatality, you will be the one they go after if it's found the axle wasn't up to that capacity.

The one main advantage in running a car axle on a trailer or camper, is if it matches your tow vehicle, giving you a set of spares for your trip.