PDA

View Full Version : Spring hanger setting

Tigershark
5th May 2009, 08:21 PM
hello Im new to this forum and in the process of making a box trailer, the overall measurements are 2600mm x 1600mm. At present Im about to fit one set of 6 leaf spings { double eye }rated at approx 750kgs. I have been told that I should tack weld the fixed end of the spring hanger and then with no load on the springs, set the pivot shackles to 30 degrees. could anyone varify if this is correct or is there some calculation to work out this setting? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Tigershark

soundman
5th May 2009, 10:07 PM
What you need to be certain of is that as the springs flatten out that the spring shackles don't run out of travel.

I do not believe you could make any sort of general rule for all springs... what you have been told may be true for the springs you have, but it would be hard to say.

cheers

Yonnee
6th May 2009, 03:32 PM
hello Im new to this forum and in the process of making a box trailer, the overall measurements are 2600mm x 1600mm. At present Im about to fit one set of 6 leaf spings { double eye }rated at approx 750kgs. I have been told that I should tack weld the fixed end of the spring hanger and then with no load on the springs, set the pivot shackles to 30 degrees. could anyone varify if this is correct or is there some calculation to work out this setting? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Tigershark

General rule of thumb is the centre of the eye of the rear hanger is set 25mm back from the eye of the spring when assembled and unladen.
So, the easiest way is with the chassis assembled on the ground, up-side-down, sit & tack the front hanger in place (there's a rule of thumb for this too), then with a square, mark the chassis where the spring eye lines up, measure 25mm back, and that's the point where centre of the eye of the rear hanger goes.

If you're not sure about the placement of the front hanger, have a read of my trailer build, or PM me and I'll let you know.

Yonnee.

soundman
6th May 2009, 08:56 PM
I've just been thru a trailer parts catalogue I recently picked up, and there are shackle springs and spring sets in there.......WITH diagrame provided for each spring set.
Have a chat with your supplier they may be able to supply such a diagrame... would take all the guess work away.

cheers

Yonnee
6th May 2009, 10:27 PM
I've just been thru a trailer parts catalogue I recently picked up, and there are shackle springs and spring sets in there.......WITH diagrame provided for each spring set.
Have a chat with your supplier they may be able to supply such a diagrame... would take all the guess work away.

cheers

What guess work?:?

I thought I made it fairly clear what the measurement was.

:unsure::whatonearth:

Tigershark
7th May 2009, 07:57 PM
for those who posted a response for my question , thankyou :)