PDA

View Full Version : Gear Shift Levers

mob
3rd May 2009, 10:16 AM
Does anybody know how to dismantle the gear shift levers on a Model AR Lathe? I was hoping to paint them, but I can't see how to remove the knob, the 33t gear or its shaft. The Southbend Army Lathe Manual shows pins and what looks to be a split hollow shaft, but I can't see any pins and the shaft is solid. Don't want to force anything, so if no one can help I'll leave them as is. They look pretty funky as polished metal.

neksmerj
3rd May 2009, 06:19 PM
Mob,

The Hercus shift lever knobs are pretty much the same as the South Bend ones, including the cross pin. The Hercus cross pin is clevery disguised part way along the knob, and takes a bit of detecting to find.

From memory, it is about 2/3 the way in from the front of the knob. I would say that once the pin was fitted, it was linished over causing it to disappear. I went through this same excercise with mine, but in the finish, polished the knobs in situ, it was easier.

I believe there is some form of crack detecting liquid that if painted on, will show up where the pins are located. Just a thought if you are determined to pull the knobs apart.
Don't use any heat, you may finish up softening the internal springs.

Ken

mob
5th May 2009, 12:49 AM
Ken,
thanks for that. Boy they are well disguised aren't they? I think the levers can stay as polished metal, perhaps a spray with penetrol. Can anybody suggest a better alternative to penetrol?
Gavan.