PDA

View Full Version : Running hydraulic & electric together

jatt
29th Mar 2009, 08:43 AM
Hi,

After a near miss with a group of some dickh@#@ (dickh@#@s)^ walking out in front of me in town the other day I got to thinking. You know how it is, full trailer load, cant stop as quick as you would like.

Anyway toying with the idea of running the rear axle as an electric braked setup on my tandem. The front axle is hydraulic and whilst it works as it should, obviously it doesnt pull up near as well as the horse float I built with electric.

My reasoning is that the mates who I actually trust to use my gear dont have electric brake controllers on their vehicles. Also one of the work hacks I use doesnt either at this point. If I convert my trailer to solely run electric then without a controller of couse you have no brakes.

I know the brake biasing would be different between the two, not sure if I would be creating a monster by doing this.

Thoughts.

Yonnee
29th Mar 2009, 11:10 AM
Firstly, when I'm designing trailers for my own use, I don't usually worry about whether my mates can borrow it with their tow vehicles. Setting their own vehicles up with an Electric Brake Controller would be good investment for them if they are borrowing your trailer often enough. And with your current contacts, you should be able to buy them a bit cheaper.

And if you really trust them, then you should have no dramas with letting them borrow your tow vehicle with the controller anyway. As for your own work hack... to wire it up to be able to swap controllers is only a couple hours work.

However... the question at hand, I dont see a problem with running the Electric as an addition on the rear. You still could only have the 2000kg limit as any Break-away would only activate the Electric axle.