PDA

View Full Version : How to rego plant trailer...

garrya
1st Mar 2009, 08:26 PM
This is my first post here,hi all,i am purchasing a home made plant trailer for my 1.5 t excavator,the guy im buying it off,has never had it registerd,and it has no compliance plate......I am in victoria and want to know what the steps are to getting it registerd,as a few have told me its to hard to rego it in victoria,if it has no compliance plate.....It obviously has no vin or anything,the trailer it self is in top condition,and just been painted......I am really confused to go ahead and buy this thing or not.......So if anyone can share some light on the steps to getting it registerd,would be a great help....
P.S. Is there any short cuts around the difficulty of vic roads,i was told to tell them it was unfinished when i bought it,and i had to put wheels and fllor in it to complete it...That way they dont require a receipt of all my parts if i say i built it........
Any help would be great........Has anyone else here been through this path????
Cheers.......

Sturdee
1st Mar 2009, 10:18 PM
i am purchasing a home made plant trailer for my 1.5 t excavator,the guy im buying it off,has never had it registerd,and it has no compliance plate......I am in victoria and want to know what the steps are to getting it registerd,as a few have told me its to hard to rego it in victoria,if it has no compliance plate.....It obviously has no vin or anything,the trailer it self is in top condition,and just been painted......I am really confused to go ahead and buy this thing or not.......So if anyone can share some light on the steps to getting it registerd,would be a great help....

From Vic Roads website : (http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/HowToRegisterOrTransfer/RegistrationRequirements/CaravanAndTrailerRegistration.htm)

"Trailers manufactured after 1989 must have the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) stamped on a substantial part of the trailer, e.g. drawbar and a compliance plate displaying the following:

manufacturer's name
date of manufacture
aggregate trailer mass (in kg)
vehicle identification number
tyre and rim data (i.e. rim size, tyre size, load rating and recommended tyre pressure)
trailer model (if applicable)
the statement "This trailer was manufactured to comply with the applicable Australian Design Standards"."

If there is no vin the manufacturer (which is probably your seller) would be breaking the law in selling without a vin and you will assume quite a risk in trying to get it registered or even use it without registration as it has no vin.

Unless you are absolutely certain that the trailer complies the all the appropriate standards I would not suggest you buy it. Vic Roads is bad enough in getting privately built trailers registered if they comply, if it doesn't you bought a lovely piece of scrap metal.

Peter.

Peter.

ian
1st Mar 2009, 11:45 PM
To register a home built trailer in NSW you first have to get a certificate from a "qualified person" certifying that the trailer complies with the applicable Australian Design Rules

This certificate then allows you to register the trailer. Given the national uniformity of road rules I can't see the process in Victoria being much different.

If it were me, I'd suss out the cost of a compliance certificate and trailer registration (it should only take two or three phone calls to find out an indicative cost — call it $x) and then tell the seller that you'll pay their current asking price PLUS $x provided they get the trailer registered.

ian

China
2nd Mar 2009, 12:31 AM
As for the National Uniformity of road thats the biggest joke I've heard for years, I can't speak for Victoria but in South Australia it would have to be inspected by a engineer and given a compliance certificate, it would then have to go to the road traffic workshops to be inspected, and to determine it is not stolen,then they will give you a certificte to allow it to be registered, when I say give this not true because every stage in the procces will cost you a fee, in SA you would be looking at appr. $800 by the time you have gone through all the red tape

Yonnee
3rd Mar 2009, 02:05 PM
Basically, if the trailer was built before 1989, then all that is required is for some sort of Identifying number to be stamped or welded to the chassis, and a receipt of sale from the seller of the trailer. If there isn't a number, then Vicroads can supply one... but it's a lot less hassle to "find" :; a number somwhere on the chassis...

Now, if the trailer was built after 1989, then it should have had V.I.N. plate attached with a VIN number provided to the manufacturer by Vicroads. If there isn't one, then you will not get it registered without it. The VIN plate's the easy bit, but the VIN number will only be given to the "manufacturer" of the trailer. You can claim that you are the manufacturer, and they will give you a number, but along with that goes all the responsibility as the manufacturer, for rest of the life of the trailer.

Hopefully that clears up a few questions.:2tsup:

Let me know if you want any more help, as you're not far from me.

Yonnee.

p.s. I just had a re-read and noticed this;
"the trailer it self is in top condition,and just been painted......"
The sins that can be hidden by a coat of paint.

"That way they dont require a receipt of all my parts if i say i built it........"
I know of people being told by a Vicroads officer, "Without a receipt, how do we know you didn't steal the parts to build the trailer"

ian
3rd Mar 2009, 08:49 PM
appologies for reformating your original post
i am purchasing a home made plant trailer for my 1.5 t excavator,the guy im buying it off,has never had it registerd,and it has no compliance platewhat this means is you can't access the "first registered before 1989..." type exemptions

I am in victoria and want to know what the steps are to getting it registerd,as a few have told me its to hard to rego it in victoria, if it has no compliance plate.....It obviously has no vin or anything,the trailer it self is in top condition,and just been painted......I am really confused to go ahead and buy this thing or not.......So if anyone can share some light on the steps to getting it registerd,would be a great help....
here we go ...

to get the trailer registered it must conform to

The National Code of Practice for small trailers http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/pdf/vsb_01.pdf
compliance for small scale builders is delegated to the appropriate Victorian authority

your excavator weighs 1.5T so what you should be looking at is a Light Trailer – i.e. "A trailer with a ‘Gross Trailer Mass‘ not exceeding 3.5 tonnes"

The Australian Design Rules that apply to the Light Trailers are here: http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/motor/design/files/ADR_Applicability_Summary-T-Group_July_2008.pdf

the list of current ADRs is here http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/motor/design/adr_online.aspx

these rules cover how small volume builders can obtain a VIN

take my advice

buying the trailer and then trying to sort that lot out is a huge risk
you're better off paying extra and having the trailer builder sort oit out.

ian

P.S. Is there any short cuts around the difficulty of vic roads,......get a certificate from an acredited person stating that the trailer conforms to all applicable ADRs

Yonnee
3rd Mar 2009, 11:01 PM
what this means is you can't access the "first registered before 1989..." type exemptions

It's not about when it was "first registered", as it never has been. If the trailer was built before '89, there never was a VIN structure, therefore no requirement to have a VIN plate. It hasn't been stated when the trailer was built, just that it's never been registered.

As for the ADR's, they apply to the items you normally buy to make your trailer, such as couplings, lights and brakes. Unless your making your own coupling, the items that require an ADR, should already have them.

get a certificate from an acredited person stating that the trailer conforms to all applicable ADRs
I didn't think such a certificate existed. You don't get one buying a new trailer from a "professional" manufacturer. Only the VIN plate stating; "This trailer was manufactured to comply with the applicable Australian Design Standards"

ian
4th Mar 2009, 12:36 AM
It's not about when it was "first registered", as it never has been. If the trailer was built before '89, there never was a VIN structure, therefore no requirement to have a VIN plate. It hasn't been stated when the trailer was built, just that it's never been registered.if the trailer has never been registered, how would you prove it was built before 1989?
I can't see any competent person accepting an owner's statement along the lines "yeah, I built Bessie before the first of the kids were born in 1986 and it's been sitting unused in me shed every since ..."

The only evidence that I'm aware of that would be acceptable to a State vehicle registraton officer is a record of previous registration.

As for the ADR's, they apply to the items you normally buy to make your trailer, such as couplings, lights and brakes. Unless your making your own coupling, the items that require an ADR, should already have them.probably true, but you as the person presenting the trailer for registration must prove that the applicable ADRs have been complied with.

A home builder might do this by presenting the receipts for components like the lights, axles, rims, brakes, etc
But how does the home builder substantiate the quality of the welding ???

I didn't think such a certificate existed. You don't get one buying a new trailer from a "professional" manufacturer. Only the VIN plate stating; "This trailer was manufactured to comply with the applicable Australian Design Standards"when you buy a "professionally made" trailer, the attached VIN plate is affixed in accordance with an accreditation certificate held by the manufacturer — the VIN plate means you as owner don't need a separate ceretificate

for home built trailers, the owner or builder must get a certificate of compliance from – I think the person is described an automotive engineer in the legislation – certifying that the trailer complies with the applicable ADRs (and any other requirements) before you can register it. I'm not sure if VicRoads will issue a VIN for a home built trailer, or if the "certification certificate" must always be kept with the trailer.

ian

Bloss
8th Mar 2009, 04:43 PM
The summary point is that he shouldn't buy this trailer unregistered as he then assumes all the risks and cost to get it registered (if it can be). So he either reckons the price is such a bargain basement one and the trailer so good that he is willing to take the risk - or not. I reckon from reading the thread that it would be a heroic punt.

Another option would be to get the guy who now owns it to take it through the rego process whatever it is and then pay the cost of having that done. I dunno what the situation is in Vic, but in the ACT you can get it inspected and get a certificate that says it is meets registration requirements (both for a fee of course) and then take that along as you go to register in the buyers name.

garrya
9th Mar 2009, 06:31 PM
Thanks for all the replys guys,its booked in for next monday at vic roads,so will see the results and keep you all posted.......
Cheers........

Yonnee
9th Mar 2009, 07:41 PM
Firstly, good luck Garry. Let us know how you go. Which way are you going about it?

if the trailer has never been registered, how would you prove it was built before 1989?
I can't see any competent person accepting an owner's statement along the lines "yeah, I built Bessie before the first of the kids were born in 1986 and it's been sitting unused in me shed every since ..."
Been done before...
And there was never any date suggested as to when the trailer was actually built! The rules are different for a car. A trailer can be built as a farm trailer 20 odd years ago, and now requires rego to be taken on the road. Granted, the onus of proof would lie with the person presenting the trailer for rego as to its age. Depends how civil you are to the 'Roads' officer.

...but you as the person presenting the trailer for registration must prove that the applicable ADRs have been complied with.

A home builder might do this by presenting the receipts for components like the lights, axles, rims, brakes, etc.
Rubbish!! The person whose name appears as the manufacturer of the trailer on the VIN plate is the one responsible for its compliance with ADR's.

But how does the home builder substantiate the quality of the welding ???
There is no ADR for "quality of welding". There is no requirement for a trailer builder to be a qualified welder.

when you buy a "professionally made" trailer, the attached VIN plate is affixed in accordance with an accreditation certificate held by the manufacturer — the VIN plate means you as owner don't need a separate ceretificate

for home built trailers, the owner or builder must get a certificate of compliance from – I think the person is described an automotive engineer in the legislation – certifying that the trailer complies with the applicable ADRs (and any other requirements) before you can register it. I'm not sure if VicRoads will issue a VIN for a home built trailer, or if the "certification certificate" must always be kept with the trailer.

I know of no "accreditation certificate" required to be held by any trailer manufacturer.

I've never required an accreditation certificate to obtain a VIN number for trailers built by me, on behalf of Melbourne Trailers, or built by me for my own use, or built by me for my own customers.

Any person can walk into a retail outlet selling trailer VIN plates and purchase one. VicRoads do not issue VIN numbers, it is a completely different section that issues trailer VIN numbers as it is a National numbering system.

I don't speak for all states in Australia, but I've never seen any sort of "certificate" for a trailer here in Victoria. The only requirement here in Victoria for even a roadworthy certificate is for a Secondhand, Commercially Registered trailer, changing ownership.

garrya
9th Mar 2009, 08:18 PM
Ok,this is the progress so far,no big hurdles yet,bought trailer from the seller,making sure i got a typed up receipt,stating sellers name,adress,phone number,not stolen,no finance owing,and sold with no warranty in used condition,and we took 2 copies,one for me,one for seller,and we both signed both copies.......i rang vic roads,there requirement was,receipt from the seller i bought it from,compliance plate fitted to trailer if newer than 1989(i would say its older than that,so by law,no compliance needed,but i got one ,as who decides how old it is),i purchased the plate from a trailer place for $5,including in that price,they engraved the gvm,tyre rating,vin number,make of trailer,year.....So we put the year at 1995,i got the vin number by calling vic roads,and they gave it to me over the phone.....So the compliance plate is fitted to draw bar,vin number stamped in draw bar,as well as on compliance as they required,fitted red back reflectors,white front reflectors,mud flaps,and some sweet looking hubcaps,and a number plate light......As far as there requirements,its already for a inspection.....They want me to take it to vic roads next monday,they make sure its got all the trailer requirements thats on there website,and i just need to produce receipt of purchase,id,also,a weigh bridge ticket,which i got on thursday,and the trailer...So all is sweet so far,but will know next monday the verdict,hopefully pay my fees,and away i go,until then,ill keep my fingers crossed........
Cheers......

garrya
16th Mar 2009, 09:10 PM
Today i took the trailer to vic roads,what a walk in the park it was,showed my purchase receipt,weighbridge ticket,and filled in my name and adress.......Outside, myself and the young lady went and inspected the trailer,a quick measure of length of trailer,a look at compliance plate,and back inside we went.....Paid my fees which were around $50,and away i went,with new rego label and number plate in hand..........Thanks for all the replys regarding this post guys,much appreciated..........
Cheers..........

Yonnee
18th Mar 2009, 09:32 AM
:ohyaaa:.