PDA

View Full Version : Hercus Parts

Mark2
24th Feb 2009, 04:55 PM
Hi There,
Nice job on the forum guys, very informative.
Ya hav'nt lived til you've owned a Hercus.
Anyway getting back to the serious stuff, would any of you guys be able to tell me what change gears came with the Hercus craftsman model lathe if any?
I purchased this lathe about a year ago and it did not come with any extra change gears and I was wondering what gears are needed if any to cut the range of threads displayed on chart or plate attached to the lathe.
Regards Marc.:2tsup:

new_guy90
24th Feb 2009, 08:37 PM

you have no idea mate ......check out the Monarch E100 (im sure thats the it..... looks like a vesper)

as for the change gears have you looked on www.Lathe.co.uk ? great site that will have the info you want

Patrick

bitza500
25th Feb 2009, 03:54 AM
Hi There,
Nice job on the forum guys, very informative.
Anyway getting back to the serious stuff, would any of you guys be able to tell me what change gears came with the Hercus craftsman model lathe if any?
I purchased this lathe about a year ago and it did not come with any extra change gears and I was wondering what gears are needed if any to cut the range of threads displayed on chart or plate attached to the lathe.

hi Marc, would you like to add your lathe to our Register as all I am doing is trying to find all the lathes and try and get as many heads together on the on the site Not compulsory just a way of keeping track of the lathes and only need user name serial number colour build year and any fancy gizmos you may have

all the best derek bitza500

12teethperinch
25th Feb 2009, 11:02 AM
Hi marc
I dont know what gears are standard but if you have the plate that tells you speeds and feeds it will list the gear trains needed for the different thread pitches and feeds. If you are lucky it will have a diagram showing you what it looks like. My little myford uses change gears and once youve done it a couple of times its pretty straight foward. Decide what thread pitches you would like to be able to cut and you will have an idea what gears you need to start collecting.
Darrell

Mark2
25th Feb 2009, 05:37 PM
you have no idea mate ......check out the Monarch E100 (im sure thats the it..... looks like a vesper)

as for the change gears have you looked on www.Lathe.co.uk ? great site that will have the info you want

Patrick
Yeah Patrick, appreciate the input but dont get personal.
Hercus Rules!!! OK.
Can't quite make out what else you have written there either, something about a Vesper, are we talking lathes or scooters.
Will attempt to purchase locally in Aust before trying OS.
THX.

Mark2
25th Feb 2009, 06:01 PM
Hi marc
I dont know what gears are standard but if you have the plate that tells you speeds and feeds it will list the gear trains needed for the different thread pitches and feeds. If you are lucky it will have a diagram showing you what it looks like. My little myford uses change gears and once youve done it a couple of times its pretty straight foward. Decide what thread pitches you would like to be able to cut and you will have an idea what gears you need to start collecting.
Darrell
Hi Darrell,
Thanks for the advice, no diagrams, but found gear sizes on one of the attached plates [bit hard to see].
All I have to do is find out what size gears are currently on the machine and purchase the others as required.
Sounds easy, but I bet their like hens teeth.
I trust your Myford has served you well, great little lathe.
Anyway thanks again
Regards Marc.

Mark2
25th Feb 2009, 06:06 PM
hi Marc, would you like to add your lathe to our Register as all I am doing is trying to find all the lathes and try and get as many heads together on the on the site Not compulsory just a way of keeping track of the lathes and only need user name serial number colour build year and any fancy gizmos you may have

all the best derek bitza500
Hi Derek,
Mate I will get back to you on that one, just got to find the time.
Let me know how to go about adding to the register.
Regards Marc

neksmerj
25th Feb 2009, 10:31 PM
Hi Marc,

Be aware that if you source change gears from the States for say a South Bend lathe, to use on your Hercus Craftsman, the pressure angle is different. From memory, Hercus use 20 degrees, South Bend 15 degrees.

Ken

Mark2
26th Feb 2009, 08:25 PM
Hi Marc,

Be aware that if you source change gears from the States for say a South Bend lathe, to use on your Hercus Craftsman, the pressure angle is different. From memory, Hercus use 20 degrees, South Bend 15 degrees.

Ken
G'Day Ken,
Thanks for the info, I recall [now that you mention it] hearing about the 2 different angles and I will definitely double ckeck before purchasing.
I have heard of people running the different angles together resulting in a noisey gear chain and premature wearing of the gears, not something I want to get involved with, sounds a tad rough to me not to mention mechanically incorrect.
Cheers Mate Thx Again.
Regards Marc.

etd
26th Feb 2009, 08:31 PM
Hi Marc
Looks like you need to download
Lathe-Tutorial.pdf (http://www.bbssystem.com/manuals/Lathe-Tutorial.pdf) the classic 'text book of turning'

(www.bbssystem.com/manuals (http://www.bbssystem.com/manuals))

Regards

Evan

bitza500
6th Jun 2009, 08:54 PM
Hi marc, did you ever find out what change you needed as I have a few S/H and some new ones as well so give me a email at [email protected]
as I may have the bits you are after

all the best Derek bitza500