PDA

View Full Version : Micrometer saddle stop?

neksmerj
7th Feb 2009, 11:16 PM
There are a number of Hercus accessories I would really like including a micrometer saddle stop, and milling vice.

Without being too ambitious, I reckon the saddle stop would be a great little project to start with. They seem to be as scarce as hen's teeth, so in terms of originality, if a kind member is prepared to lend me a real Hercus one, I'll prepare some working drawings so we can all have a go.

Any takers?

Ken

steran50
8th Feb 2009, 05:10 PM
HI neksmerj, Yes that would be a :2tsup:good Project. I am keen to have a go at making one Myself. I think I had a Picture of one somewhere, I must try to find it through the week.
Cheers Stewart steran50

glenn k
8th Feb 2009, 06:22 PM
What is a milling vice? does it go on the chuck or on the saddle? Can you cut keyways with one? Sorry I'm an Aborist/Chemist

neksmerj
8th Feb 2009, 06:59 PM
Sorry Glenn,

I meant to say milling attachment, the whole kit and kaboodle that sits on the saddle.

It does allow the milling of keyways in addition to many other milling operations.

Ken

bitza500
8th Feb 2009, 07:44 PM
There are a number of Hercus accessories I would really like including a micrometer saddle stop, and milling vice.

Without being too ambitious, I reckon the saddle stop would be a great little project to start with. They seem to be as scarce as hen's teeth, so in terms of originality, if a kind member is prepared to lend me a real Hercus one, I'll prepare some working drawings so we can all have a go.

Any takers?

Ken

Hi Ken, I have a Micrometer Stop you can borrow to do your drawings
It is a SouthBend one but I doubt it being much different to the Hercus

all the best Derek
P/S are you near Northcote ?????

neksmerj
9th Feb 2009, 12:23 AM
Hi Derek,

Your offer is appreciated, I've sent you an email with my address details etc.

Ken

neksmerj
12th Feb 2009, 08:40 PM
Derek dropped in today, with a micrometer saddle stop to show me.

Unfortunately, it was a South Bend or similar unit, quite different from the original simple Hercus unit.

So, still looking for a lend of a genuine Hercus saddle stop, for the purposes of drawing up.

Leave it with you,

Ken

jmk89
12th Feb 2009, 08:50 PM
Not quite the same, but in the chapter in The Amateur's Lathe dealing with using a small lathe to do production work, Sparey has a few different types of ways of making accurate saddle stops. May be worth looking there for some ideas.

damian
12th Feb 2009, 09:04 PM
You can rig a milling system if you want by buying the XY vice from hare and forbes and mounting it on a right angle plate. I'm not entirely sure what you'd mill with it or the original since they are so small and light but whatever.

I'll ask my friend round the corner if he's got a mic stop and I'll do you a drawing if he has. His hercus has more tooling than mine...

blackfrancis
14th Feb 2009, 12:35 PM
Ken

I have an old, fully detailed and dimensioned, hand drawn sketch of the Hercus micrometer stop somewhere. Unfortunately I won't be able to get my hands on it for a month or so. If you're patient I should be able to get you a scanned copy. That's provided I can find it.

Cheers
Steve

neksmerj
14th Feb 2009, 06:03 PM
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your offer, I now have a lot of time on my hands, with forced early retirement!

Ken

blackfrancis
16th Feb 2009, 04:36 PM
No worries Ken

So are you planning on spending a bit of time in the shop?

allterrain50
20th Feb 2009, 10:17 PM
Hi Steve,
If you find your drawings of the milling attachment would it be possible to get a copy as well. They're getting a bit hard to find.
Mal

blackfrancis
21st Feb 2009, 12:35 PM
Sorry, I don't have a drawing for the milling attachment I'm afraid Mal, just the micrometer saddle stop.

Maybe of use is that minitech sell Myford type verticle slides.

http://wic020u.server-secure.com/vs4487_secure/dept.asp?q=&cmx=21&r=18&id=132

Steve

allterrain50
21st Feb 2009, 08:03 PM
Hi Steve,
Must have milling attachments on the brain, I meant to refer to the micrometer saddle stop.
Mal

blackfrancis
22nd Feb 2009, 01:48 PM
No probs Mal. I'll make it available when I get my hands on it.

Steve

steran50
1st Mar 2009, 10:53 PM
HI neksmerj, Yes that would be a :2tsup:good Project. I am keen to have a go at making one Myself. I think I had a Picture of one somewhere, I must try to find it through the week.
Cheers Stewart steran50
Hi neksmerj, I have looked for the Picture, but have'nt been able to find it. I may have lost it when My Computer crashed a while ago. Sometimes they come up on Ebay. I just had a thought- maybe their might be a Picture of one on Lathes Uk. Although it will only be B/W. I will have a look anyway. As I would like like to make one Myself.
As for the Micrometer Part check this sight out http://www.engtooling.com/ .
All the Best:) Stewart steran50

blackfrancis
19th Mar 2009, 04:47 PM
I've put the scanned sketches here

http://rsc.anu.edu.au/~swilliams/eng/stuff/mcs.zip

The position of the internal micrometer thread did not show up on the middle view, p1. The 9/16 and 13/16 dimensions give this position.

allterrain50
19th Mar 2009, 10:10 PM
Hi Steve,
Thanks for the sketch, I'll try to put it to good use.
Mal