PDA

View Full Version : Big dial, little dial?

neksmerj
30th Jan 2009, 10:04 PM
My apologies to Derek, he recently sent me some correspondence re large and small Hercus dials, which I promptly deleted, accidently.

Until recently, I did not realise that several sizes were fitted to the old 9".

In my case, the dial and collar fitted to the compound rest top measures 30mm nom. and the dial and collar on the end of the saddle measures 37mm nom.

What have I got, large or small dials?

When did the transition take place, was it when Hercus went metric?

Ken

bitza500
30th Jan 2009, 11:31 PM
My apologies to Derek, he recently sent me some correspondence re large and small Hercus dials, which I promptly deleted, accidently.

Until recently, I did not realise that several sizes were fitted to the old 9".

In my case, the dial and collar fitted to the compound rest top measures 30mm nom. and the dial and collar on the end of the saddle measures 37mm nom.

What have I got, large or small dials?

When did the transition take place, was it when Hercus went metric?

Ken

Hi Ken, No the large dials 1 1/2" in diameter came out on the imperial lathes as wellas metric I can get new Dials either Metric or Imperial depending on what you want

If you get the larger dials you will have to make up it's mate that screws up into the carraige as I got the last one available

As for yours I am not sure what size yours is as I would have to look at the othe lathe

Back again the early serial No A4891 1954 has 25,4 mm or 1" dials same as the 1941

From Memory the larger dials were a option and are a great as I can read the calibrations with ease so as for yours being 30 mm you have me lost but if you go to the larger dials look at $100 plus and that is less the matching plate that screws into the Carraige with a large step to suit the large dial but these are easy to make

all the best Derek

brittleheart
30th Jan 2009, 11:32 PM
Congratulations Ken,
You have the much desired large dials.
No idea when they started, but worth the wait.
Regards, Peter