PDA

View Full Version : Using a ute tray for a trailer

spooled
20th Jan 2009, 09:32 PM
Hello again guys. I need to build a trailer for a generator. I already have a basic chassis and draw bar on an axle. If I go with the conventional box trailer tub design it will be a 2100x1200 (7x4) as that's what will fit between the wheels. That fits the genny nicely but not a lot more either side. If I was to use an aluminium or steel ute body above the level of the wheels I would be able to make it a little wider to accommodate a lockable toolbox down one side, and a nice flat area the other for machines, materials, etc.

My question is; do traditional box trailers have the floor of the tub lowered between the wheels to lower the weight distribution, or to save costs, or both? If I use a flat tray it will be approx (guessing at this stage) 300mm higher that if it where between the guards. Will this cause any problems with the center of gravity being too high? I've noticed a few people have done it but not many.

burraboy
25th Jan 2009, 05:50 AM
I've wondered about doing a trailer that way myself. I don't think its a matter of raising the CG too much, that will only matter if you are likely to tip the thing over and under normal operating conditions, that's not likely. I think the reason it's not done more often is because of the extra construction needed to lift the tray sufficiently to clear the wheels and still connect to the springs and the need drop the drawbar down to a level to match the towball. It would be handy to hear from someone who has done it and has some pics.

jatt
25th Jan 2009, 05:48 PM
I already have a basic chassis and draw bar on an axle

Perhaps some fotos.

How about making a frame in between where there ute tray would sit ie above the guards and the existing chassis. Providing your existing chassis is of a heavy duty type then perhaps this could work. Nice little stowage area beneith the ute tray as well.

For something like this I would source an ally tray to keep the weight down.

Only an idea

weisyboy
25th Jan 2009, 06:13 PM
i am having a big flat top trailer made.

tandem axle it should be able to carry 3 ton all up and have had it made tray over to allow easy loading of logs and a bigger suface. the other style wastes so mutch space.

the mob thats making it makes a lot of tehm ans think its fine.

and id trust them thyv been doing it for a long time.

Yonnee
25th Jan 2009, 11:15 PM
Hello again guys. I need to build a trailer for a generator. I already have a basic chassis and draw bar on an axle. If I go with the conventional box trailer tub design it will be a 2100x1200 (7x4) as that's what will fit between the wheels. That fits the genny nicely but not a lot more either side. If I was to use an aluminium or steel ute body above the level of the wheels I would be able to make it a little wider to accommodate a lockable toolbox down one side, and a nice flat area the other for machines, materials, etc.

My question is; do traditional box trailers have the floor of the tub lowered between the wheels to lower the weight distribution, or to save costs, or both? If I use a flat tray it will be approx (guessing at this stage) 300mm higher that if it where between the guards. Will this cause any problems with the center of gravity being too high? I've noticed a few people have done it but not many.

Really it's a question of horses for courses. I'm guessing that a generator that "fits nicely but not a lot more either side" in a four foot wide trailer, is a fairly large and heavy generator, at least 500-600mm high. That's a fair size lump to have sitting nearly 700mm off the ground on a flat top tray rather than around 350mm between the wheel arches. And it's nice to be able to see the car behind you in your rear view mirror rather the whole generator blocking that view (depending on what you drive).

As Burraboy said, there's a fair bit of extra framework required to raise a tray above the wheels, especially one that will carry a bit of weight.

But a Jatt suggested, already having the chassis, and putting a tray above the guards, will give a great 7' x 4' storage area under the tray.

spooled
2nd Feb 2009, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the info guys, sorry I haven't been back earlier. A little quiet again this week so back into it for a bit.

I can't get a photo at the moment cause its at a mates workshop. But its the same type of trailers they have for those work light towers, just without the light tower. The genny is one of those Perkins 3 cylinder jobbys. Not sure of exact weight, I'd say between 200-250kg. Building a frame to lift the level of the tray is not a problem at all. I could actually do it out of scrap that I already have. I was just worried more about stability.

Chumley
2nd Feb 2009, 11:50 AM
I'm not one of natures little engineers, but it seems to me that if you can make a tray that is wider than the normal 7 x 4 to sit up over the wheels, then you should be able to make side wings (for want of the proper term) to sit over the wheels - you could then put the heavy generator between the wheels lower down, where the cg is better and you have optimum visibility, and put your tool tray on one side and your other equipment platform on the other side.

If this sounds ok, then cool. If it sounds stupid, well I told you I wasn't an engineer!

Cheers,
Adam

spooled
2nd Feb 2009, 02:15 PM
lol Adam. Yeah I did actually think of that, or even 'recessing' the genny down into the tray. Which would work well for the issue of weight distribution and rear vision. But then it pretty much limits it as a generator trailer whereas I'd like to be able to fork the genny off and use it as a regular trailer. Guess I want to have the cake and eat it too.

Brainwave - I could make up a section of floor that would sit in place of the hole that the genny leaves behind and finishes at the same level as the tray top. Jeez we like making work for ourselves don't we:B

weisyboy
2nd Feb 2009, 03:17 PM
whats teh point of having cack if you cant eat it?:U

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=95096&d=1233134828

soundman
26th Apr 2009, 10:50 PM
There are two big issues with trailers.

Weight and cost.

The typical box trailer as seen, properly and thaughtfully built should be as light and cheap as it can be.

Once you start doing anything outside the typical it gets both expensive and heavy in a big hurry.

I've seen trailers built from the back of utes and they too can get heavier than you would expect.

I had a bit to do witha couple of trailers of late and some of them are so heavy they are barely legal to tow empty.

And this weight thing creeps up on you too.

Nice trailer Carl. Just the thing for dragging logs about...... but I bet ya it isn't light and it wasn't cheap.:D

cheers

weisyboy
26th Apr 2009, 10:52 PM
nop isnt light.

700kg empty. but it is super heavy duty.

not that bad on price $4750.00 electric brakes and all.

soundman
26th Apr 2009, 11:17 PM
Yep thats what I would have expected arround $5G.
& yep it looks like 700Kg.....so whats the load rating 2000Kg GVM, giving a payload of 1300Kg.

You'll need a cruser or a disco to tow that one loaded...... and that will be one decent log:D

I might give you a call arround christmass time, you could hire it out as a stage:D
So keep it pretty:;

cheers

weisyboy
26th Apr 2009, 11:32 PM
yep it has been used as a stage:2tsup:

its rated to 2 ton. if i put a second set of brakes on (its all set up to have tehm just bolt on) it can do 3 ton.

i have had over 2 ton of logs on it with no problems. tow it with a 4wd rodeo.