PDA

View Full Version : Old 9" on Fleabay, in Sydney

billrule
2nd Jan 2009, 08:46 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Metal-Lathe-cast-iron_W0QQitemZ320328555579QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_BnI_Woodworking_Metalworking?hash=item320328555579&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

This is a bit of a roughie, but may end up as parts if it doesn't fly well; the marketing effort has been fairly basic so far.

allterrain50
17th Jan 2009, 04:29 PM
Hi bill,
I bought that oldie, supprisingly goes pretty well, let you know after the cleanup.
Mal

bitza500
18th Jan 2009, 09:09 AM
Hi bill,
I bought that oldie, supprisingly goes pretty well, let you know after the cleanup.
Mal
Hi Mal, Congratulations on getting a bargainWould you like to add the hercus to our growing Register as at preswnt we have 38 registered Hercus owners who help each other out All I do is put your user name Serial Number Model and condition on the register and then use only your user name when adding to the list on the Forum
This is just something I got Started to try and track down the 15,000 Hercus 9" lathes that were made and is not compulsory it is mainly to try and get as many Hercus Owners together so we can help each other out

all the best Derek, bitza500

allterrain50
24th Jan 2009, 10:12 PM
Hi Derek,
Took of the covers on the headstock and all speed reduction gears are stripped and the spindal shaft end splines are very close to gone, 1 of the forword/ reverse gears is toast but should be able to pick that up ok.Obviously I can still use it but it's going to take some searching to find cheap enough parts to get it up to original condition , anyway I wasn't expecting perfection for the price I paid. It was a cheap way to get started.
Mal

Machine I.D. c 5843 (which makes her 1956 I guess)
on the other side of the bed is stamped BS(so long as it doesn't mean the obvious), don't know what that means.

bitza500
24th Jan 2009, 11:13 PM
Hi Derek,
Took of the covers on the headstock and all speed reduction gears are stripped and the spindal shaft end splines are very close to gone, 1 of the forword/ reverse gears is toast but should be able to pick that up ok.Obviously I can still use it but it's going to take some searching to find cheap enough parts to get it up to original condition , anyway I wasn't expecting perfection for the price I paid. It was a cheap way to get started.
Mal

Machine I.D. c 5843 (which makes her 1956 I guess)
on the other side of the bed is stamped BS(so long as it doesn't mean the obvious), don't know what that means.

Hi Mal, if you try Mick Moyle's he should have a Back gear assembly same as the tumbler gear as for the mainshaft splines that is maybe going to be a bit dearer to find just the shaft
I have been chasing a headstock and Mainshaft for Months with no luck but Mick may have some more in now the new year has started

Newmac in Vic has a tapered roller bearing headstock less the back gear and Tumblers ,the splines are a bit worn but at $200 is a cheap upgrade if you want to ring them ask for Richard 0397203922 tell him Derek told you about the Headstock and what I was quoted
I never checked the bullgear which may or may not be damaged as it came in to his Factory missing a lot of parts

Before Buying if you do ask him about the rear Mainshaft splines as to how good they are and if he will guarantee that the splines are still useable

Richard is very cluey and knows his Hercus Stuff plus being a dealer he has new parts as well as I bought the tumbler gear that connects to the Idler Brand New plus has Numerous gears, shafts, and even a new Back gear plus new Spindle and nuts for both crossfeeds

I have no Affiliation with Newmac but they have a fair bit of my money and Bob's in Canada as well so as far as all 40 owners can provide in sellers is either Moyle's or Newmac

But if you are going to do the old girl up bide your time as it will be some time before you need these parts and something may come up on eBay

If you do find a headstock a early type let me know as I want a Headstock housing as I am making a axle checker for being straigh and can make the shaft or even use your own worn spindle as I am not chasing tumblers or back gear as it is to only setup axles and run a Dial indicator on them

Also the back gear are both gears broken or just the small gear ???

all the best Derek bitza500

allterrain50
25th Jan 2009, 12:09 AM
Hi Derek,
All 4 gears on both shafts are toast, I'm in no hurry to get the parts as I still have a lot to learn about how to do things. I would like to end up with a A model type setup in the end(I assume that's possible). I was at Mick Moyle's last week and he doesn't have a lot at the moment. I left instructions to ring me if something of use came in, I will drop in when I'm passing to check out what he's got and post anything useful. Although I don't seem to need one myself (cross your fingers)he does have several beds at the moment if anyone wants one.
I've already progressed quit a long way in the superficial part of the restoration and will post pictures, if I can figure out how. I decided to depart from the standard colours and went along the lines of the creamy colour hercus manufactured for south bend in the U.S.,so I believe, really like the look of it.
Have to put it in position in the workshed this weekend and do the levelling and alignment tests. Had an old friend over to-day who was the head machinist at a place I worked for many years ago(I was the scrubber and general dog's body) and he seemed pleased with the machines mechanical condition (apart from the back gear thing), which was encouraging.
With regard to the forward/reverse, it is functional so all I need is the one gear which the guys at moyles think won't be much of a problem to find, mind you if anyone out there has a spare I certainly would be interested at the right price to save the wait.
Can anyone tellme what the BS on the bed means?
Mal

bitza500
25th Jan 2009, 12:54 AM
Hi Derek,
All 4 gears on both shafts are toast, I'm in no hurry to get the parts as I still have a lot to learn about how to do things. I would like to end up with a A model type setup in the end(I assume that's possible). I was at Mick Moyle's last week and he doesn't have a lot at the moment. I left instructions to ring me if something of use came in, I will drop in when I'm passing to check out what he's got and post anything useful. Although I don't seem to need one myself (cross your fingers)he does have several beds at the moment if anyone wants one.
I've already progressed quit a long way in the superficial part of the restoration and will post pictures, if I can figure out how. I decided to depart from the standard colours and went along the lines of the creamy colour hercus manufactured for south bend in the U.S.,so I believe, really like the look of it.
Have to put it in position in the workshed this weekend and do the levelling and alignment tests. Had an old friend over to-day who was the head machinist at a place I worked for many years ago(I was the scrubber and general dog's body) and he seemed pleased with the machines mechanical condition (apart from the back gear thing), which was encouraging.
With regard to the forward/reverse, it is functional so all I need is the one gear which the guys at moyles think won't be much of a problem to find, mind you if anyone out there has a spare I certainly would be interested at the right price to save the wait.
Can anyone tellme what the BS on the bed means?
Mal
Hi Mal, can you measure the diameter and how many teeth as I have a few gears floating about but would like to know the size and the amount of teeth first before I say yes

all the best Derek bitza500

allterrain50
28th Jan 2009, 07:49 PM
Hi Derek,
The forward reverse gears are 32 teeth, 42mm dia and 11mm thick.
The Bull gear, pulley gear and back gears I assume you can't help with.
I've been watching some Video on making your own gears and think I might give that a try to see if I can sleeve the rest(bit ambitous for a beginner I suppose), any suggestions.
I have a parts manual but does anyone have an exploded view of the various C-Class headstocks in detail so I can see how to take it apart for repair.
Thanks Mal

bitza500
28th Jan 2009, 09:31 PM
Hi Derek,
I've been watching some Video on making your own gears and think I might give that a try to see if I can sleeve the rest(bit ambitous for a beginner I suppose), any suggestions.
I have a parts manual but does anyone have an exploded view of the various C-Class headstocks in detail so I can see how to take it apart for repair.
Thanks Mal

Hi Mal, I will go and see my mate at Newmac (NO AFFILIATION) except that he has my money

I will go and see Richard when our temperature drops below 30 Degrees as My nerve injury causes me hell on hot days

I am sure I have1 x 32 tooth gears are they keyed or just a bored hole???
Richard has a 32 I know for a fact as I picked up the wrong one and is in GC
I have a bull gear with 1 tooth missing if you know a good welder and I meann good you can cut a V out of the broken one and insert a unbroken section and I think they Bronze or Silver solder the piece in and mill or file the section to suit the rest of the teeth

The Back gear are both gears broken ????
Mick Moyles will sell you a back gear with a large gear broken, then he can supply a ring that has the teeth on it and you machine the old back gear down and then fit the ring on HOW??? I have no idea as Patrick at Moyle's has not replied so I would say there must be different ways to do it and he does not want to get involved

I have 5 broken back gears that I want to rebuild but time and temp and still have 1 saw benched hand (and I never swore once not even when the labrador ate the end of my index finger )
The old saying

IF IT FALLS ON THE FLOOR IT WILL GET EATEN BY A LABRADOR AND THE BUGGER DID TO

But leave it with me for a couple of days and I will see what I can find

all the best Derek 0415291212

pipeclay
29th Jan 2009, 02:29 AM
Hi Derek,
Thanks Mal
I havent taken one apart but have a fairly good idea on whats required,I could come over and give you a run through on what to do if your interested.

brittleheart
29th Jan 2009, 12:56 PM
There is a wealth of info on the practical machinist's website, Hercus is similar to their 9" southbend headstock setup.
The replacement gear ring on the backgear can be fixed with high strength locktite. At least that is what I read on a thread in the PM site.
regards, Peter

allterrain50
29th Jan 2009, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the help guys it came apart fairly easily after I looked at it long enough to work it out. I'll save the offers of help for another time, when I get into deeper trouble.

Mal