PDA

View Full Version : My Small Tool Holder for the Hercus

Penpal
3rd Dec 2008, 10:03 AM
From the larger view some observations.

The split block clamps the round post for height and direction changes.
Allen screw through is the height adjustment.
Screw on top is recessed in the block to close the cut in the block.
Large allen head is to hold the tee cut base that sits on the lathe, my firm belief is not to make it captive to allow a very close approach on light work and to enable this tool to quickly be changed to another lathe.
The sizes are easily figured out from the size of the tee part covers the slot in the hercus slot on the lathe.
As promised I really enjoy this holder it is purely simple,quick to adjust.
Peter.:2tsup:

neksmerj
3rd Dec 2008, 06:35 PM
Hi Pete,

Nice arrangement you have there. In particular, I like the height adjustment screw to save scrounging around for shims. No doubt some members will want to make one, any chance of a few dimensions?

Ken

Penpal
3rd Dec 2008, 07:55 PM
Since you asked here are the basic measurements.

Block
65mm X 50mm wide. 25mm thick. Block hole 25mm.

Tool Slot
12mm

Post 45mm deep. Flange base 50mm. Hole 13mm. Recess for holding screw 15mm.
Post base shoulder 21mm by 2mm

Choose your own screws and verify the tee slot in your own lathe and the centre heights yourself.

No I do not register my machine over time info has been given but I have given at the office and have no desire to be first or best or less than anyone, and yes I will continue
as ownership of the forum is U Beaut after all, any minor claims I put down to enthusiasm which I have in spades myself.As a one finger type person it takes a lot of time stuffing around etc, I want time in the workshop.Metal Work is fun, a hobby with wood turning etc.

Refuse to accept grinding basic tools for toolholders is rocket science and if you had seen the masterpieces I have by mates who have designed, constructed model engineered aero motors, working elaborate steam engines, 1/10 scale model tractors etc on their Hercus using the simple tool post the economies of scale are obvious.
A case in point is the Diamond Tool it is bulky compared with this simple tool.
For an eye opening exercise have a look at the work done in the USA using the very small Taig lathes etc.

Have fun Ken how are you off for sox.

Merry Xmas everyone Peter:2tsup:

neksmerj
3rd Dec 2008, 08:21 PM
Thanks Pete for the dimensions,

Right for sox, just need tooling.

May you have a Merry Christmas.

Ken