PDA

View Full Version : Hercus Badge

footz
17th Nov 2008, 03:59 PM
Does anyone have a spare badge and the 2 pins they would like to sell. The badge is the one on the side cover. When I repainted my hercus headstock the original decal on the side of course had to go. I thought about cutting one out of vinyl and sticking it on the side but it would require 3 layers and either it would be overlapped on top of each other, or I would have to fit them into each other really well. So I thought if I just get a badge like on the side I could stick it there as well. I have rang up Mick Moyles and no luck. Steve Durdin at the old hercus place said they have no decals, but they might have something for the newer models. I am going to see if I can go down there later on this week.
Ken (neksmerj) has sent me a great pic of the logo and I may cut one out of vinyl and see how it looks.
My other thought is to print it out on transfer paper but I dont know if it would last with oil and such going on it. And If I really want to waste some time I could airbrush it using vinyl as the mask then clear it off. But Dam that is more madness then even I could imagine.
If anyone dosent realise it now yes I am MAD.

bitza500
17th Nov 2008, 07:13 PM
Hi Gene, as you are in the repair game you must know somebody who could cut a Hercus sticker on these new computer sign systems as I would like to put a hercus sticker back on but you must have contacts as who does the signs and stickers after you repair the cars That is the best bet so long as they can do it on clear material I reckon a few people might like a new sticker if they were made but it all comes down to the small size and if the company want a minimum amount before making

worth a phonecall
all the best derek bitza500

neksmerj
20th Nov 2008, 10:48 PM
Hi Gene,

I've tuned in a bit late on this one, however, there's a chap in the States that reproduces brass name plates, mainly for the South Bend lathe.

He is a member of the Practical Machinist Forum.

Might be worth sending him a PM to see what can be done. He might even be willing to tell you how to go about making your own.

His thread is here, you will probably have to register first. As you may already know, the Hercus is a clone of the South Bend, they are almost identical.

"http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128011&highlight=name+plate"

Worth a shot,

Ken

footz
22nd Nov 2008, 08:54 AM
Thanx Ken

I will try to contact him and see what the result is. Also I will try out Hercus for old stock. Though I haven't given up the idea in cutting it out in vinyl. I have a similar font to the hercus one its just putting all the layers together. I suppose I could make a small jig to align the vinyl sheets for the 3 colours.

wannabe
22nd Nov 2008, 10:12 AM
Pity that guy doesn't do Hercus plates. They are brialliant. I liked the using toenail clippers for getting the pins out. Was wondering how to get those out without destroying the plate.

Gene forgive the ignorance but what do you mean by vinyl, laying etc.

footz
22nd Nov 2008, 10:33 AM
Oops I never thought to explain that sigh. Vinyl as in signwriting as you see on buildings and cars and such, it is a thin layer of colored vinyl like contact. I have a small cutter here is a you tube link YouTube - Craft ROBO Desktop Cutting Plotter Demo, the web page http://www.graphteccorp.com/craftrobo/ . My wife uses it for her work making letters and such a really handy tool. So the idea is you cut out say the gold for the face of hercus then you cut out the black shadow. Then stick one onto the other. Most people just stick one on top of the other but then of course it isnt smooth, but easy. I will try that and also cut out them so they fit into each other. This will make it flat, I will probably do it this weekend so if it works I will show the results. If not Ill shut up LOL

wannabe
22nd Nov 2008, 09:22 PM
I like it. Looks like a great toy to play with. Have fun.