PDA

View Full Version : I have been quiet on the forums but busy in the shed

footz
12th Nov 2008, 10:39 PM
Before you all think I will do nothing on the lathe I thought Id put in a couple pics of a dalek gun I did. And a couple pics of work in progress. Fitted bearings today dam and I know why they call it a bull gear as the thing dosent like going onto the shaft. Bench all leveled using the 4 bolt method previously discussed. Most parts painted and polished just did a rough assy of the gearbox for a pic for forums.
Yes I am mad waiting for the hospital to take me away

beetle
12th Nov 2008, 11:01 PM
Lathe looks great wow "and so does the weapon of mass destruction"
cheers Beetle

wannabe
12th Nov 2008, 11:13 PM
Looking good Footz. You can come and do mine after you get that one back together :D.
Did you fully dismantle it to do the painting or did you paint in situ?

neksmerj
13th Nov 2008, 03:58 PM
Gene,

The old girl looks fantastic, of course you realise that one day, you will have to use it.

From museum piece to a pile of swarf in 30 seconds. I face the same boat.

Well done and what's with the gun? More info please.

Ken

bitza500
13th Nov 2008, 04:45 PM
well gene i take my hat off to you as that is a ripper coat of (2Pack) paint or am i wrong as that is better than new
i bet you cannot wait to get the old girl going and get her dirty ha ha

at least you are not on your own i am now on my third brand of paint but unless you have a spray booth and all the gear you will all have a hard time beating gene's magnificent paintwork

how long before the old girl is finished so we can see her in all her glory as i would like to see the finished lathe so as to store the pictures of what can be done
great paintwork gene

all the best derek bitza500

steran50
16th Nov 2008, 12:05 PM
HI FOOTZ, That is a fantastic Job You've done :2tsup:. On both the Dalek Gun and the Hercus Lathe. I have some plans for building a Dalek one day. I have a question for You what is the Electronic Gizmos on the Dalek Gun for ?.
Cheers steran50 (stewart)

footz
16th Nov 2008, 04:56 PM
Ahh good I am not getting Flamed LOL

The paint is Sickens 2 pak using 1 to 1 hardener so as to make it very hard to scratch. Similiar to the new finish on the new mercs. I still need to get some bits painted as paint shop got a bit busy so had to put lathe on hold heheh. I hope to have some chips flying by next weekend though.

Now the dalek Gun
I employed a panel beater 2 years ago who emigrated fom england and he was building a life size Dalek which he also brought over. We painted it at work and I will put up some pics for that as well. He has now started building the new series Dalek, and he showed me the plans. Well the gun looked a easy and fun exercise so I made one for him. After doing that I thought I would like one for my display cabinet of hobbies. The one with no back is the one I made for him. As a display it looked silly with nothing on the back so I did some rummaging in my shed to make it look like it came out of a real dalek (yeah I fantasize), and below is the list of parts.

Old glow plug motor head & barrel for the back
heat sink from a processor
model train switch controller brown thing with a electric motor & ribbon cable. I connected a cat5 connector to it and plugged it into the network card.
a ram chip broken in 1/2
a pcmcia network card with coax and cat45 connections.
a hard drive pick up head
the big brass thing is a filter of a respirator
hot glue LOL

I hate the plinth I made (spent about 1/2 hour on it and it shows) so I am thinking of making the gun shoulder section as a cut away display with the gun mounted in it. A bit weird I know but that is later on. When lathe is back together I will be getting back to making the robot from lost in space in life size. I have already made the brain cup, brain eye sockets and been buying other bits. When I turn a bit more up I will post a few pics again.
Thanx for the comments.

Penpal
16th Nov 2008, 05:17 PM
There are two highly commendable things you have done one is to paint that lathe with a tough coating with what you had so well. The second is your Dalek Gun that shows so much engenuity and skill. What an imagination you have.

Congratulations Peter:2tsup:

.RC.
16th Nov 2008, 05:29 PM
Hmmm I wonder if footz originally came from Skaro??? :D

footz
16th Nov 2008, 05:50 PM
thanx penpal

and LOL
you cracked me up .RC.

footz
16th Nov 2008, 09:10 PM
Well thats it for today I have run out of parts to fit. Just a pic of work so far.

Penpal
16th Nov 2008, 10:09 PM
Like that Aussie actor said with his knife now thats a knife,

THATS A RESTORATION.

Better and better, will be a shame to fit the guards but wait there will be more magic to come I feel it.

Warm regards Peter.:2tsup:

bitza500
16th Nov 2008, 10:41 PM
Hi Gene,well old Fred Hercus would definately smiling in his grave at that Restoration
What I want to know is how did you get all the kobs and handles so shiny ??
I have cleaned and buffed and tried all sorts but not to match how clean you have all the bare metal
What is your secret ????
As I have just cleaned mine up and put a smear of grease on yours is cleaner and shinier than new

I Hope when you finish you should send a few photos to Hercus themselves they might even put them up on their wall to remind them that there are still a few 9" lathes around

keep up the Great job
Derek bitza500

footz
17th Nov 2008, 03:34 PM
Next bits I polish I will show you what I did. Mind you pictures make things a lot better then they really are, and I only show the good pics too LOL. I could spend more time on some bits as there are still small marks in the steel which would require a lot of time but this is still going to be a workhorse. It will get oily and chipped but at least I wont have to put up with cracked paint.

And since the original machine had sat around for a few years it had light surface rust here and there, another thing I cant stand. Still other bits just came out of booth, so tonight I will be assembling more.

My next lathe I get I will go nuts I think and do it up as a show job (Dam I am weird)

Jeff@G
19th Nov 2008, 10:15 AM
Outstanding work Footz.
Isn't it just one of the most satisfying thing you can spend time on, bringing an old machine back to life, and better than the original. The machines always seem to work better than they did straight out of the factory, even if it's only a clean up & finish you give them... It's like they respond to the love...

BobL
19th Nov 2008, 10:42 AM
Outstanding work Footz.
Isn't it just one of the most satisfying thing you can spend time on, bringing an old machine back to life, and better than the original. The machines always seem to work better than they did straight out of the factory, even if it's only a clean up & finish you give them... It's like they respond to the love...

Yep, Yep and Yep! :2tsup:

I actually don't have that much attachment to the machines themselves but I like the experience and learning that goes with the refurb.