PDA

View Full Version : Toothless back gears

bitza500
9th Oct 2008, 11:08 PM
Hi all I am still chasing mangled back gears as we have a way of making 1 out of 2 so long as the small gear is ok
Mick Moyle's has a replacement large ring to replace the large gear but the small ones there is nothing
We did a test one today and seems to make a good replaceable back gear if anyone has a crunched gear as a door stop I will pay postage as I want to perfect the machining as I am a TAD RUSTY plus lost a lot of grey matter between the ears due to Medication
Has anyone bought a S/H Back gear lately so I can guage if it is worth while me playing about as I am looking at Bull Gears or anything you guys or girls can break as be TPD I cannot do a proper job and my $50,000 electronic stimulator scares off possible employers
I even got knocked back as a cleaner in a empty office as I might fall and they would be Liable
So I spend my days in the Toolroom building and playing so please let me know any back gears or Bull gears that have broken teeth

Also I am looking for a FOUNDRY to Cast Steel in the Eastern Suburbs of Melbourne who will guarantee their work

And were are all my Hercus Owners hiding from BIG BROTHER ?????

all the best Derek

fraserbluff
14th Oct 2008, 10:06 PM
Derek
I think I have a (or may be two) back gears minus a tooth or two. I will need to check if it is the big gear(s) or the little gear(s) that has (ve) come to grief. Will look tomorrow.

Cheers
Donald (on the Rock)

fraserbluff
15th Oct 2008, 10:21 PM
Derek
I have had a bit of a look in my box of stuff and it would appear that I have 3 new back gears and two new cones. As you can see, I have not looked for a long time and have not taken much notice of what was actually what. I had thought that they were all damaged, as when I did look (10 years ago) I wasn't in need of them at the time.

Not sure what all this means though!

Even more interesting is that I have another three helical cut back gears (Hercus green and of a similiar size to the older Hercus models) (off a 260?). One of these is second hand with the teeth damaged on the small gear end. The other two are new (I think). Clearly these are of no use to me, so if anybody thinks they know what they are off and thinks they might need them, speak now or for ever hold your peace.

Cheers

Donald (On the Rock)

bitza500
16th Oct 2008, 12:29 AM
Hi Donald, I am always interested in parts as I leave them in a box under the bench until someone crys out for a part
The back gear rebuilding is very time consuming so am interested in them

But what are these cones ??? you have me baffled
let me know what you mean by cones and how much you want for the gears as I need 2 for the 2 lathes in the Garage as they both have broken teeth and to make life easier a complete one is better and quicker to replace than replacing the broken gear as I have done 1 and the guy was quite happy with it
His exchange was toothless ??which was a blow to my supply as I want to get mine finished properley so I can do more repairs on Hercus parts
But for now let me know what you want for them and as for the other gears I could add them to the rest of the bits
And is postage dear from King Island ?????
all the best Derek

bitza500
16th Oct 2008, 12:43 AM
Hi Donald,looking through the forum you have 2 Hercus 9" do you use them for work or pleasure as I thought I was the only silly one to have 2 Hercus's as keeping one going properely is a bad enough but 2 ???
I must admit I am doing a full restore with Modifications to hopefully gain a bit of work and a bit of spending money which is very thin when on a pension and I am now 12 months and still not going as I have to wait to use my Toolmakers workshop which I was doing today
And hopefully tommorow I will get the top pulley shaft and the bearing housings I will get to machine out the top mounts and fit bronze bushings as the housing are pretty scored and I had to buy a new shaft so I thought bronze bearings or Spigot bearings out of Holden Manual crankshafts make a brilliant bush as they must be oil impregnated as they kept ozzing oil out while machining and they are brand new so another Modification which makes the old girl go round and round and not that hard to do either
all the best Derek

fraserbluff
16th Oct 2008, 10:26 AM
Derek
The "cone" (in my head anyway) is the pulley block that has the 4 "V" belts grooves and corresponding gear, mounted to the main shaft on the head. At this stage I am not sure what I will do about the back gears. For some reason I am the sort of person that is loathed to sell any thing that may be of value (but not $) to me in the future. I will be in Melbourne next week and over at Kilsyth (probably having an unpleasant conversation with ARB). If you send me your contact details I will give you a ring closer to the time and we will have a chat.

I use the two laths. The A is set up for wood turning. It was a bit sad when I got it. The bushes in the top pulley shaft were rooted as was the shaft. The beds arent bad, I was able to get all get most of the little bits and pieces 10 years ago from Hercus when they were still in the game. I turned up new steel bearings and fitted a new shaft. The "C" is in better order and had a milling vice and other bits and pieces. They were both at the school here, and I spotted a box of gears at a local fair. They were having a clean out. So I suggested that I was interested in all the stuff they had.

Previous to this we had an old Macson (24") for farm maintenace work (Flat belt cone head). I miss it from time to time.

Cheers
Donald (On the Rock)