PDA

View Full Version : Hercus 9" raised to 13 1/4"

bitza500
5th Sep 2008, 02:03 PM
Can anyone please help I have a old 9" Hercus which I have had a riser block made to lift the headstock so that I have now 13 1/4" diameter clearance
As It is now larger I have also purchased a second hand toolpost holder but I need to know at what height should the toolpost be as I have measured 6 lathes and all are different and the original single post is no use to measure so can anybody shed som light as I have a swag of old 9" Hercus Holders but will be using larger tool holders or a shimmed up carbided tool

I would gladly show you some photos but I am still not able to work that bit our but if Ken if you read this can you put the pictures up

I have for the last 11months been restoring all bare metal parts have been electroplated zinc colour and on buying new Chucks found the centre height to low so I found a toolmaker who made the riser so it sits on the bed flat and the Headstock sits on the riser

This height problem is the only Flaw I can see in the Hercus but as a hobby machine fine but I wanted to machine brake drums and discs and this 60 year old machine has no wear except the screws and nuts and I will reckon when finished will be a great improvement as Hercus overbuilt this small lathe so I am using the extra size of the machine to it's fullest

Am I crazy or do you think a good idea ?????

all the best Derek

pipeclay
5th Sep 2008, 02:16 PM
Im not sure exactly what you are having a problem with or what you want to know.
Your centre height for your tooling would of been 4 5/8".if you add the thickness of your riser block to this measurement it will give you your new centre height of your tool.
Are you going to make your own square tool post or go with something you have bought.
It is quite easy to make your own you will only need your lathe and bench drill if you havent got a mill,
Your biggest concern at this stage I think would be to determine the size of tooling you will be using and then work out your dimensions from there.