PDA

View Full Version : Which 240V Mig Welder to Buy?

Ticky
20th Jan 2008, 12:12 AM
Ok, I know I am opening a can of worms here, but here we go.

Which 240v Mig WElder should I buy?

I am not new to welding, in fact, I am a welder by trade, (Retired Hurt) but I have NEVER used a single phase welder. I have read through a few threads tonight, & I am still none the wiser.

The machine is not likely be required for anything over about 4mm, & I have a very good stick welder if I do, but more likely the thinner end of the scale, 1 - 2mm, you know, the stuff that is a PITA to weld with a stick.

I am thinking perhaps around 160 - 200 amps, & I am after some brand names to look into & if you know any I should avoid, don't be shy.

Grahame Collins, Your input would also be appreciated. I seem to remember trading a few posts some time ago with you.

I would also like to say that money is no object! ... but it is, & I don't have a great deal of it, so lets not go silly here, ok?

Thnak you, I look forward to hearing you views.

Steve

Ticky
20th Jan 2008, 12:45 AM
Does anybody know anything about the:

MIGSTAR 250 AMP MIG WELDER
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-INDUSTRIAL-GRADE-MIGSTAR-250-AMP-MIG-WELDER_W0QQitemZ250207406656QQihZ015QQcategoryZ3247QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Thanks

Steve

AV Elec
20th Jan 2008, 12:54 AM
Toolex for a cheapy, cigweld for medium quality, and Lincoln for great quality.

Grahame Collins
20th Jan 2008, 07:04 AM
Which 240v Mig WElder should I buy?

Hi Steve

I reckon you could not go past this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BOC-170P-Portable-240-Volt-Mig-Welder_W0QQitemZ200192576255QQcmdZViewItem

as its actually a Kemppi with a different coat of paint.
If not that perhaps a Transmig 200 with a bit more grunt.

http://www.allwelding.com.au/Product/1151058353675-8228/category/4/2/

The Migstar calls itself an inverter welder yet weighs 75KGS ?????.
Does not mention parts back up.
Sure has a 2 year warranty-might the vendor be there in 2 years -is there a physical street address listed?
Lists "twin roller wire drive" -I have yet to see a mig run with one drive wheel.

It may well be ok,but buyer beware!
But you are talking to the bloke who bought a Chinese lathe!!

Cheers
Grahame

Uncle Bob
20th Jan 2008, 09:15 AM
Personally, If I had the dough, I would bypass buying a MIG and go straight to TIG.

Ticky
20th Jan 2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks for your input.

Cheers

Steve

AV Elec
20th Jan 2008, 12:00 PM
Does not mention parts back up.

This is very important. Even disregarding any warrantee situation, you really want to confirm that you will still be able to get parts in 5 years.

I'm not pushing toolex, but the fact remains mine was very cheap. I bought it 10 years ago, and I can walk into any gasweld store and still buy parts. That is what you need.

Feel free to buy something off ebay, etc, but make sure that brand has been available for 5+ years in a store such as gasweld, BOC, total tools, or other large mainstream franchises. That way parts SHOULD be readily available for some time to come:2tsup:.

Chris Parks
20th Jan 2008, 10:30 PM
Personally, If I had the dough, I would bypass buying a MIG and go straight to TIG.

Two very different systems for very different applications. You wouldn't want to be doing long continuous runs on 6mm plate with a TIG and you wouldn't do small pressure stuff or alloys with a MIG, though big alloy jobs get done with MIG. TIG seems to have a mystique about it and it is thought it is the be all and end all but it ain't so.

Ticky
21st Jan 2008, 12:16 AM
Two very different systems for very different applications. You wouldn't want to be doing long continuous runs on 6mm plate with a TIG and you wouldn't do small pressure stuff or alloys with a MIG, though big alloy jobs get done with MIG. TIG seems to have a mystique about it and it is thought it is the be all and end all but it ain't so.

The job I have at hand could be done with a TIG, or a MIG, or for that matter, a Stick. I was a welder for many years, (too many) in the heavy metal area & the only time I ever used a TIG welder was in trade school. I could not Tig now to save myself.

I worked my way up from the floor to the office about 15 years ago, & I have been retired for the last 10. I have been stick welding for the last couple days for the first time since I left the floor, & to be honest, While I have complete confidence in my welds, strength wise, they started off pretty ugly. I have never welded with glasses before, & that was a new experiance, but I am getting used to it now.

I am enjoying my steel work at the moment, but when this job is over, I will be going back to wood work.

I may buy a cheeap mig, or I may hire one, but I I won't be getting a tig welder.

That said, all of your points are valid points & I appreciate them.

Thank You.

Steve

Uncle Bob
21st Jan 2008, 01:37 PM
Two very different systems for very different applications.

True, but your average home user is not making a ship :)

As for 6mm plate, I would TIG it, 10mm might be another story.

An ex-workmate of might (RIP Budgie) once welded up a large wine tank using TIG, and a spool of 316 MIG wire, so yes you can do continuous runs :)

In a nutshell, sure MIG definitely has it's roles, I'm just saying IMHO I would buy a TIG over MIG any day of the week.TIG can do a lot of work that MIG can, as well as more jobs and with a better finish.

hux
21st Jan 2008, 04:34 PM

An ex-workmate of might (RIP Budgie) once welded up a large wine tank using TIG, and a spool of 316 MIG wire, so yes you can do continuous runs :)

In a nutshell, sure MIG definitely has it's roles, I'm just saying IMHO I would buy a TIG over MIG any day of the week.TIG can do a lot of work that MIG can, as well as more jobs and with a better finish.

UB

Yes perhaps YOU would buy TIG over MIG but YOUR circumstances are probably quite different to the average home welder.

IE YOU may be actually able to use a TIG where the learning curve for MIG is quite lower for the average home welder
YOU may be able to afford a decent AC/DC TIG welder where the average home welder would be hard pressed to justify the cost over a decent MIG.

However getting back on Ticky's topic
Brands to look at BOC/Kempii, Lincoln, WIA, Migomag, Miller, CIG, Unimig and there may even be a decent SIP out there as well.
All make machines you can afford for home use (well sort of), will weld within the capacity stated and all are relatively affordable for a quality machine.

Some machines these days use ally transformers rather than copper which is apparently not as good so check the cheaper welders for that. Country of origin can also indicate quality. Asian lowest, than eastern european, then mix up between european, USA and australia.

Chris Parks
21st Jan 2008, 07:03 PM

You can do just as many things with an Oxy but would you? You can't really be serious. I give up, you know far more than me about welding.

Ticky
22nd Jan 2008, 10:14 AM
Ok, I know I am opening a can of worms here, but...

:-

Lutefisk
22nd Jan 2008, 03:32 PM
is lincoln available in your area? i am a welder by trade, swore i would never have one at home but.... i got the biggest lincoln that plugs in to 110 volts but if you have the 220, go for it. if you go the cheap route, buy two so you have parts. one important thing, if you need to use an extension cord get a heavy one so you don't have problems with voltage drop.
dale

Riley
23rd Jan 2008, 06:31 AM
Years ago I bought a Maxmig 210i Liquid Arc from Lincoln.
Still have it though I use my 3 phase SAF's now at work.
Has 1,2 coarse and 1-8 fine, 2T and 4T, gas purge and wire inch separate .
Dont know about parts after years of use .. still have not bought any.
Good duty cycle up high and will give a real 210 amps.
Bit bigger and heavier than newer one but still OK with a nice built in wheels and bottle holder.

If you see one when you are looking for one at home , you will be looking at a good unit.

Takes a binzel or Kempi torch.

It was not cheap new , if budget allows would still go with Lincoln, Miller Kempi etc.The second hand single phase are quite dear but you can pick up a bargain if you go 3phase.I wonder if the cost of getting 3 phase on your place would be off set by the purchase price? Those Chinese ones are so cheap though .....

Riley
23rd Jan 2008, 06:44 AM
Just a thought....
I have also got 2 smaller Essetti Tig/Sticks lunch boxs DC only, but have been great performers, OK nothing like my big 3 phase AC/DC Lincoln but if Essetti's Migs are as good as their Tigs it would be another brand to have confidence in if looking for one.

Good luck, Brett

Grahame Collins
23rd Jan 2008, 11:35 AM
I wonder if the cost of getting 3 phase on your place would be off set by the purchase price? .....

I believe that this thought will quickly change once a person gets a quotation for upgrading to 3 phase power.

Of course every situation is different dependent on requirement, location and physical distance from an existing 3 phase supply.

I too had thoughts on 3 phase, not only for welding but woodworking and metal machining equipment.

Having had a conversation (not a quotation) with an electrician about this I was told think $10,000 and upwards.Your own quotations will undoubtedly vary.

For comparison I paid $250 for a domestic 15 amp point few years back.

Grahame

Fossil
23rd Jan 2008, 12:57 PM
I was quoted just over $5000.00 for a few hours work. I have three phase just outside my front gate. The price was simply for aerial connection to the barge, and running 16mm2 for 5m down to the board. An absolute scam as far as I am concerned. Since the power companies have been privatised, and all connection work is done by a very select few contractors, the price of connection has gone up five fold in my area.
This is the reason I build my phase converter in the workshop, which is all working brilliantly by the way.
I wonder if a 3phase welder can by rewired easily to run on single phase????
Probably not.. :)

Grahame Collins
23rd Jan 2008, 02:23 PM
I wonder if a 3phase welder can by rewired easily to run on single phase????
Probably not.. :)

Hi Fossil,
I do believe some machine have the tappings to run dual voltages ,but I am not sure if on 3 phase.

I'll check with the sparks at wifey's work and report back
Grahame

Riley
23rd Jan 2008, 03:17 PM
I believe that this thought will quickly change once a person gets a quotation for upgrading to 3 phase power.

Of course every situation is different dependent on requirement, location and physical distance from an existing 3 phase supply.

I too had thoughts on 3 phase, not only for welding but woodworking and metal machining equipment.

Having had a conversation (not a quotation) with an electrician about this I was told think $10,000 and upwards.Your own quotations will undoubtedly vary.

For comparison I paid $250 for a domestic 15 amp point few years back.

Grahame

Crikey! Guess that buys a lot of single phase welder!

A lot of older houses do have at least 2 phase for the older stoves.

Andy Mac
23rd Jan 2008, 08:01 PM
Hi Ticky,
I have been using a single phase CIG Transmig 195 at work for 15yrs, and its been a real workhorse. Not much real heavy stuff over 6mm, but kms of 2-3mm like 25x25 RHS. Parts have been no worries, which is the good thing about big brands.
My home MIG is a WIA 175 and I really like it, ideal for lighter stuff. It doesn't have infinite control on voltage like the Transmig (seperate coarse and fine with click settings) , but still a nice welder for a reasonable cost. Not cheap, but its Australian made.

Cheers