PDA

View Full Version : ozito 90 Amp Mig Welder

Gaza
29th Sep 2007, 07:49 PM
Have started doing a bit of welding lately, manly SHS and RHS 1.5-5mm. been using a blokes from work stick

i hate borrow other guys gear and saw this 90 Amp Mig Welder OZMW90 at bunnings today, looked like a good unit that has been baged by ozito.

any comments on this baby, not sure of the price but the cig of a silmar size was around $500.

Big Shed
29th Sep 2007, 09:13 PM
Gaza, I asked a similar question a while ago (2-3 months?). Might pay you to search for that thread and read some of the responses, not very encouraging!

Edit:

Here (http://woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=51722&highlight=gasless+mig) it is

Gaza
29th Sep 2007, 10:18 PM
cheers,

but no one as actual brought the unit they are only assuming its no good.

i was talking to the old man about it and he said you are dreaming plus we dont have an account at bunnings but we do at mitre 10 / home hardware and an industrial tool supplier. so i guess the ozito is a no go for me as well.

Com_VC
30th Sep 2007, 11:45 AM
90 amps is nothing, wont be able to weld much at all. The minimum you would want would be 150A and even so that's not much.

Gags_17
30th Sep 2007, 12:41 PM
hey mate
i asked the same question quite some time ago and all the guys pointed me in the direction of the gmc! its been really good! i have had no problem with it! ive done a fair bit of welding with it and and the welds have been pretty good! allthough could be better but that just comes downt to practice! the gmc is only $100 and if its no good and ????? itsself well then your cant really get to upset over the price!

Beerbotboffin
30th Sep 2007, 10:25 PM
I agree, in that I wouldn't recommend the cheap / small welders. I bought a mid range MIG welder (cheap) from ebay. It runs to 160amp which is probably the minimum you should look at, IMHO.

The main drawback was the feedroller regulation which I solved by a custom built speed circuit controller (PWM, microcontroller controlled), But I have the knowledge / facilities to do so.

IMO, buy a GOOD second hand MIG, rather than a cheap C*%P one.

Don't forget to factor in the cost of gas & wire, oh and a auto-darkening helmet, gloves, apron or short and some spats/leather boots etc,etc!:q

peter_sm
1st Oct 2007, 08:46 PM
I wont bother going into details, but my personal opinion is that it is a waste of money buying the cheap welder if you have any intention of doing anything other than cheap welds.

Grahame Collins
15th Oct 2007, 11:47 PM
Have started doing a bit of welding lately, manly SHS and RHS 1.5-5mm.

If doing no more than the above and only having a $100 budget I would spend it on the GMC as its a better machine.
It does have limitations and you may find yourself strained in attempting 5mm thickness.

I'll agree with what the other fellows say in advising you towards a better unit if you are going to do more.

Grahame

BobL
17th Oct 2007, 12:06 AM
If doing no more than the above and only having a $100 budget I would spend it on the GMC as its a better machine.
It does have limitations and you may find yourself strained in attempting 5mm thickness.

I'll agree with what the other fellows say in advising you towards a better unit if you are going to do more.

Grahame

I've had the $99 GMC for nearly 2 years and following a light start (ie once a month use) it's been used at least a couple of times a week for the last 6 months. Back in April this year I needed to do some long runs for the first time with it and was welding ~ 4.5 rods (all 2.5mm @ ~85 Amps on it's inaccurate dial) continuously before the transformer heat sensor tripped (see this (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showpost.php?p=491905&postcount=7) post). I added some big heatsinks to the transformer and was then able to get ~5.5 rods continuously out of it and the themal recovery time dropped from 10 minutes to about 8 [ie not really worth doing as I very rarely do such long runs] - I never did get around to put that fan on it but maybe the fan would help.

Because it is such a tough little beastie I have been throwing stuff at it that I would normally do with the 3phaser at work or ask BIL to do it for me. However recently I became unstuck when I overheated the handpiece struggling to weld some 6mm stuff with it. Since then the handpiece has crumbled and needs replacing. The other PITA with it are its cables are WAAAy to short and the earth clamp is a tad flimsy and doesn't grip all that well. I don't really mind if it dies tomorrow, it's done a lot of work for $99 - you've all seen the list :D - if I'd known I was going to do this much welding at home I probably would have bought something a little more robust.

maurice trueman
21st Oct 2008, 07:43 PM
i have been using an Ozito for quite a lonng time now, i use it mainly for medium to light work, but now i need a new liner for one and Bunnings dont have the parts i need to fix it, its not under warranty anymore but i do need th liner, has anyone got any idea where to get one from!

Grahame Collins
21st Oct 2008, 07:59 PM
now i need a new liner for one and Bunnings dont have the parts i need to fix it, its not under warranty anymore but I do need th liner

This is where a lot of blokes find out that cheap machines can be expensive.

I am not familiar with the innards of an Ozito mig but suspect the liner may be of the wound spring variety- much like a Cafe curtain wire in other wrds a coiled hollow spring type wire.

Many migs have this type of liner with a brass ferrule on the end. Possibly you can get one from a dedicated welding shop -take the old liner along -other wise get some cafe curtain wire and make a new one.

Metal liners can be cleaned out with kero - dried with metho and given an air blast cleaning- - a new one may not be necessary.

This is why I emphasise the warranty ,spare parts and after sales service to those guys wanting to buy cheap gear off the net.

Grahame

maurice trueman
21st Oct 2008, 08:12 PM
Hmm! the idea of using curtain wire might work, but the idea of cleaning the existing one is out of the question, only because it has no inner spring and is made up of nylon, the other thing wrong with it is the heat from the wire has melted the existing liner melting the wire inside, but i will try the idea of the curtain wire! :roll:

Gaza
21st Oct 2008, 10:21 PM
i ended up buying a CIG stick only cost me a $150, well that was 12 months ago now i am ready to upgrade to a mig as the stick can not keep up with the work i am now doing.

so i rasie the question again whats a good MIG for around $500 or $600.

Grahame Collins
21st Oct 2008, 10:55 PM
Gaza,
Try about double that for an decent entry level unit.

There is stacks written about mig units in the archives.

Grahame

glock40sw
22nd Oct 2008, 07:29 AM
Gaza.
CIG Transmig 165.
Good little Mig that will do Ali (Just).

Gasless and gas.
I run Gas as it gives a better finish for me.

Will do steel from car body panel up to 6mm with the odd 10mm thrown in.

Parts are available at most welding or engineering supply places.

pipeclay
22nd Oct 2008, 03:56 PM
You havent stated what you are wanting to weld but at the moment on Ebay there is a lincoln SP170T for a starting price of $ 650 and buy it now for $850, these machines new are around the $1000 to $1200 depending on the company you deal with, this machine is used but it is stated that its not even a year old as yet ,Lincoln supplies a 3 yr warranty this machine could be a good buy,
This all depends on what you are trying to achieve.
I have one and use it for sheet metal through to 10 mm plate on a regular basis it has never let me down.

maurice trueman
23rd Oct 2008, 12:04 AM
well, i tried the curtain wire idea and blow me down it worked, perfect fit, the right diameter, the ferel fitted perfectly :2tsup:. i dont use the wire on the small spools for the machine, instead i have made a smatt trolley for the welder to fit onto and have made a spool holder for the next size up, to do this i have drilled a 8mm hole into the back exacty the same height to the rollers, makes feeding the wire easy, and the spool is outside on the frame feeding in.

rpepper
23rd Oct 2008, 10:24 AM
I'll second what Pipeclay said.

The Lincoln SP170T is a great little welder for the price. I bought mine for about $1000 new in 2002.

My only gripe is that the trigger is too sensitive.

$850 is a great price.

Regards,

Richard :D

maurice trueman
28th Oct 2008, 10:40 PM
hi, i have been using the machine for almost a year now and have only had small difficulties with it, i have welded up to 6mm plate and down to 1.6 RHS, the trick is to take your time and when weldind thin stuff u need only to make small runs or spots, slowly build up the section you want to weld, the machine is good if you want to work up on a high spot and not use pesky rods, small and compact enough to carry, and then if you want to get adventerous make a small trolley for it to go on with a wire feeder then you can use a bigger roll on the ground,drill a small gole approx 8mm, just remember that the wire must enter the machine with minimum ease, iused a piece of pipe longer than the wire spool then drilled a hole aprox3mm then bent a old welding wire to hold the spool on.
hope this helps! :2tsup:

steelhead
2nd Dec 2008, 11:09 PM
I wont bother going into details, but my personal opinion is that it is a waste of money buying the cheap welder if you have any intention of doing anything other than cheap welds.

Yes i do agree with peter is a waste of time once anyone buy cheap welder from Bunning the rabbit once is sold :o will end up into rubbish dump so Pay little bit more cost on well know welding company that have some backup service is the way to go :D

maurice trueman
7th Dec 2008, 10:27 PM
Yes but what else do you expect from a cheap machine "top welds" i dont think so :no:, it ts used for small welds or hobby work , to use it for structial work would be verry silly :doh:.Makes a good welder if you need to work up on heights and only need to make small welds, my $299 from Bunnings was well spent for just that, but yess go and get a bigger welder, i have one of thoes too, i have a BOC mig-tig that welds aluminium, stainless and mild steel and i also have a CIG arc welder but i like to use the small ozito for thoes small jobs when you cant exactly get the big mig out of your ute and up on scaffolding, so throw away your $299 mig and next time you want to spend that money just give it to me :B.
have fun with that thaught :U

Edd
7th Dec 2008, 10:36 PM
I saw the Lincoln SP180C online for $990 somewhere the other day. Very good deal considering you get 2 starter spools of wire, a few nozzles and a gas regulator. IMO that's about the cheapest you would want to go if you want to get anything done and not ?!@# around with problems.

The SP180C is the replacement to the SP170T (RRP was $1300). It's main advantage is continually variable voltage instead of 5 steps.

Now that BOC have the Smootharc for $300, it would be stupid to go any cheaper on a stick welder either. Insanely good value for what it costs.

Edster
9th Dec 2008, 03:59 PM
Now that BOC have the Smootharc for $300, it would be stupid to go any cheaper on a stick welder either. Insanely good value for what it costs.

Hi Edd,

That's a good price. Where did you find one for $300?
I'm a newbie to welding and I'm looking for a little stick welder.

Thanks,
Ed

Edd
9th Dec 2008, 04:06 PM
The Smootharc 130 is that price from any BOC shop. It may actually be $299 + GST, so roughly $328, but the duty cycle is unbelievable at that price.
I've got it on good authority that there is a Smootharc 170 for me under the christmas tree. :D