PDA

View Full Version : Importing U.S. Mig?

martrix
1st Sep 2007, 05:15 PM
Hi, looking at getting a new MIG that is good quality and versatile enough to swap between welding different materials.

Would like to hear any points/reasons as to why a MIG setup for use in the U.S. would not work here. Obviously you would have to change the plug and probably would have issues with the warranty if the need arose. I wouldn't give it too much heavy use, so as long as it works properly in the first place, I would assume it would last out the warranty anyway.

Lincoln 180C MIG. (http://www.weldingmart.com/Qstore/p003439.htm)

With out asking any questions and a few calculations on USPS and a currency converter, I estimate It would cost about AU$1200 delivered to my door.

Fossil
1st Sep 2007, 05:43 PM
I don't think it would be suitable for use in Australia as is.
The unit runs on single phase 240v at 60hz. U.S. 240v single phase is actually supplied with two hot wires of 120v each. We have 240v with a single active wire, when measured to neutral, which is very different from U.S power supply, let alone the fact that our supply is generated at 50hz.

This one looks like a decent deal. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/165-Amp-Mig-Welder_W0QQitemZ160153207789QQihZ006QQcategoryZ46413QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

DJ’s Timber
1st Sep 2007, 06:21 PM
The nearest welder to that one that is available in Australia would the Lincoln SP170T from Global Welding Supplies (http://www.globalweld.com.au/products/lincolnelectric.pdf)

Fossil
1st Sep 2007, 06:27 PM
And available for AUD$1079.00 here https://www.amanstoyshop.com.au/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=740

martrix
1st Sep 2007, 07:17 PM
Does that Lincoln 170T have variable voltage or is it stepped? Like 6 different switch settings. Excuse the non-pro lingo.:-

Cliff Rogers
1st Sep 2007, 07:53 PM
The Lincoln is copied/rebadged by Liquidarc.
Have a look here (http://www.liquidarc.com.au/pdfs/MIG-Mach-Equip.pdf) & here (http://www.liquidarc.com.au/catalogue.html).

peter_sm
2nd Sep 2007, 10:43 PM
A lot more choices than shipping from the US.

There is also

WIA

Weldmaster - they have 170A units for $750'ish on special. They have a 190A unit with 12 power settings

martrix
3rd Sep 2007, 08:28 PM
A lot more choices than shipping from the US.

There is also

WIA

Weldmaster - they have 170A units for $750'ish on special. They have a 190A unit with 12 power settings

OK, looks like the importing option is probably unnecessary and out of the question.

Just had a read through Weldmaster and they seem like a quality OZ setup.

What is the difference between these two smaller welders?

I am leaning towards the slightly bigger models like that 190. 12 Voltage selections and I think the spot weld function would be quite useful.

Peter, can you recommend anyone where I can get Weldmaster for a good price:wink: ? cheers.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b64/iVeneer/weldmaster3.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b64/iVeneer/weldmaster2.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b64/iVeneer/weldmaster1.jpg

Fossil
4th Sep 2007, 04:20 PM
I like the duty cycle on the 190amp unit.

They all seem like decent units though.

Also don't discount the WIA units. I have had a WIA stick welder for 25 years now. It has taken a hammering and is still going strong. When I used to build high rise, the WIA units were the choice of the boilermakers on site.

Cliff Rogers
4th Sep 2007, 04:24 PM
I've heard a rumour that the new WIA units are not as reliable as the old ones were.

DJ’s Timber
4th Sep 2007, 07:19 PM
Can't comment on the WIA welders as I haven't used them. Check the ESAB range, I've had the Compact 200 for the last 10-12yrs and it's a joy to use

martrix
4th Sep 2007, 08:18 PM
from what I have been researching both here and other places, the 200A (or 190) is probably a minimum if you want to successfully weld Aluminium. You need the higher amperage (more heat) as heat dissipates very quickly in Ally and if its not constantly hot enough this stuffs the weld pool up?

So what are peoples thoughts on the UniMig (ProCraft 240) range sold by Hare and Forbes?
Seem to be very well priced and would not see heavy use as it would only pretty much ever be used by me, ie; looked after.:rolleyes:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b64/iVeneer/unimig1.jpg

Grahame Collins
4th Sep 2007, 08:45 PM
I've heard a rumour that the new WIA units are not as reliable as the old ones were.

Hi Cliff and Guys,
I do hope its only rumor, but in this day and age one never knows for sure. I have probably said it before but if the apprentices at Tafe could,t fluff it up then the little WIA mig wasn't too bad. Even 10 years ago, WIA was good gear.

If any thing WIA may be rebadging some one elses current product.Only one way to know-contact them and ask.
In relation to importing a yank mig the other contributors have got it nailed. Too many electrical hassles. Cheaper to go with whats here available in Oz already.

Grahame

Snap-on
4th Sep 2007, 09:35 PM
If any thing WIA may be rebadging some one elses current product.

Yeah I know that WIA and Miller wipe each others behinds, if you know what i mean.
Matrix - FWIW I have a Liquidarc Handymig 170i and its the best mini mig i've used - going for bout $1050 inc tax.

Dean

martrix
4th Sep 2007, 09:58 PM
Yeah I know that WIA and Miller wipe each others behinds, if you know what i mean.
Matrix - FWIW I have a Liquidarc Handymig 170i and its the best mini mig i've used - going for bout $1050 inc tax.

Dean

Hi Dean, I have looked at that unit. Have you welded much Aluminium with it?

martrix
4th Sep 2007, 11:17 PM
Can't comment on the WIA welders as I haven't used them. Check the ESAB range, I've had the Compact 200 for the last 10-12yrs and it's a joy to use

Hi DJ, is this the Esab you have?

ESAB Origo Mag C200 (http://esabsp.esab.net/templates/docOpen.asp?file=files/Fact%20sheets/Welding%20Equipment/XA00123320.pdf)...pdf

What do you think the damage$$ would be on one of these?

DJ’s Timber
4th Sep 2007, 11:33 PM
Looks to be the same specs as my unit except that one looks newer and flashier but then again mine is 10 or so years old :U.

I think I paid $1600 or $1700 back then, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were cheaper now or maybe not

DJ’s Timber
4th Sep 2007, 11:52 PM
If your not in a hurry, you're welcome to have a play on mine, just got to pick up a new liner for it on Friday hopefully

hux
5th Sep 2007, 03:24 PM

Mates dad sells welding supplies and he said exactly the same thing.

I have a Migomag 220 (older model). It works a damn treat - especially when it has gas.

My research lead me to believe that
the CIGweld units are not as good as once.
The USA stuff is good Lincoln & Miller are nice units but $$$
some of the Unimig range use alloy wound transformers nor copper
BOC are good
BOC units are actually rebadged Kemppi
ESAB are expensive :D
WIA aren't as good as once
Migomag are made in Hungary with copper wound transformers and have first class support in Australia (I got a manual in PDF for mine via email the same day I asked teh question).

Get a 4m lead unless you can afford a machine with a traveller.

Finally - all good welding machines are expensive and you can never have too many amps - go for 200++

Snap-on
6th Sep 2007, 07:56 AM
Hi Dean, I have looked at that unit. Have you welded much Aluminium with it?

None whatsoever sorry:no: I have only used it on 0.9mm flux core wire on mild steel. But i'd love to throw an ally spool and a gas bottle on her and see how it goes one day.

wello
11th Sep 2007, 11:08 PM
I also looked into this at one stage I was looking at a miller mig WIA would honour any claims needed as Miller own WIA
but you do know that you still have to pay gst when it lands here other than that there are no great hassle's with customs

I ended up buying a BOC 250R 4mtr handpiece 8mtr traveller great unit

monkey metal
12th Sep 2007, 09:41 AM
Hi matrix have you looked at the CIGWELD Transmig 135.

mcchaddy
13th Sep 2007, 09:56 PM
Hi Matrix,

I have a LiquidArc MaxiMig 250i. Had it about 4 years now and cant fault it. I have welded all the posts for our house, had it raised and restumbed. It has done 2 Aluminium boats to 16ft. The only thing i have had to replace is a liner, a defuser and numerous tips. Also have good back up from lincoln and plenty of parts available if needed.

I use to have a SIP 170. Doesn't come close to the Maximig.

Cheers

Michael

martrix
3rd Oct 2007, 09:35 PM
Hi matrix have you looked at the CIGWELD Transmig 135.

No, its probably a little underpowered for what I am looking for. I need room to improve/grow in the future.

Hi Matrix,

I have a LiquidArc MaxiMig 250i. Had it about 4 years now and cant fault it. I have welded all the posts for our house, had it raised and restumbed. It has done 2 Aluminium boats to 16ft. The only thing i have had to replace is a liner, a defuser and numerous tips. Also have good back up from lincoln and plenty of parts available if needed.

I use to have a SIP 170. Doesn't come close to the Maximig.

Cheers

Michael

Hi Mike, how much did the 250i set you back?

I am currently leaning heavily towards the UniMig Procraft 240. Hopefully going to have a look at one on Friday.

mcchaddy
3rd Oct 2007, 09:57 PM
Hi Martix,

The Maxmig cost 1900 dollars 4 years ago. It has 60% duty cycle at 180 amps and 30% at 250 amps. It also weights 112kg. I look at the uni mig before i bought the maxmig. The maxmig just looked and felt like a better machine and I had spoken to a couple of welders who reckon the maxmig had bigger and better transformer in it. I think thats why it weight a lot more then the uni mig.

Cheers

Michael

martrix
3rd Oct 2007, 10:14 PM
Cheers for that.

It appears that the Liquidarc 250i (http://www.bobthewelder.com.au/product.php?productid=230&cat=33&page=1)is now $2695:oo:. Appears to pretty much the same specs as the UniMig Procaft 240 (http://www.hareandforbes.com.au/sample_2/Catalogues/Metalworking/96.pdf)for $1450

martrix
3rd Oct 2007, 10:33 PM
OK, after looking at Liquidarcs own website, it appears the 250i has a much better duty cycle than the UniMig. The UniMig 240 duty cycle is virtually the same as the Liquidarc 180i. (http://www.liquidarc.com.au/pdfs/MIG-Mach-Equip.pdf)

So a better duty cycle just basically means the MIG has more grunt and can weld at higher amps for longer? If thats the case, then I done need to do big long welds that would require that kind of power and can wait around for a bit while the welder recovers if I ever need to.

Apples
11th Nov 2008, 09:39 PM
I have seen two WIA welding machines now on my travels.. Both of them I think were 175 amp models (maybe one was 150 or something).

I can definantly say that one of these WIA welding machines at an engineering workshop failed after a single spool of (4.5/5kg gasless mig wire).

The machine was bought just as a little unit to chuck into the back of the ute for on site work and smaller jobs etc.

It was bought brand new, and yeah the guy had only put one small spool of gasless mig wire through it and the drive motor died. He sent it back to the shop, the got it fixed via a local electrical repair shop to my understanding and it is now "touch wood" okay.

He tells me that WIA are aware of this problem......

Then the second machine is in another workshop and although I did not see it working or heard anything about it. But as I walked in it caught my eye on the corner on the floor.

On the side in black nikko marker was written **** Fu&&ing piece of **it welder *** (or words to that effect).

So yeah, that's what I have heard. Haven't heard anything about the larger units though.

Grahame Collins
11th Nov 2008, 11:26 PM
I have seen two WIA welding machines now on my travels.. Both of them I think were 175 amp models (maybe one was 150 or something).

I can definantly say that one of these WIA welding machines at an engineering workshop failed after a single spool of (4.5/5kg gasless mig wire).

A couple of points I would make

1. Two machines against the number that are out there is hardly overwhelming evidence.

2.That the owner of the shop was cheapskating expecting a 150 amp machine to do the job.Using it as a shop tool was folly. Tradies can demolish even industrial quality tools, so the tiny machine had little chance.

3. I suspect who ever did this probably did not know enough to provide the correct section drive rolls and set the machine drive tension up properly to accommodate gasless wire.

4. Lastly gasless wire or properly called FCAW works wonderfully well for the industrial purpose it was designed for. However as a stop gap measure cobbled up by manufacturers to cash on the fact the some Diyers think it will save them heaps of $.I acknowledge that some blokes undesrstand these limitations,many do not.

Fcaw's designed industrial purpose is to weld vastly more wire volume and better metallurgical content than solid wire is capable of. In my opinion,the way it is pushed as the ideal substitute for MIG is near fradulent .It is nowhere near that

On the side in black nikko marker was written **** Fu&&ing piece of **it welder *** (or words to that effect).

A bad tradesman blames his tools.

Grahame

Apples
12th Nov 2008, 08:35 AM
1. yep I agree two out of hundreds is nothing to realy go by. But it was an observation that I had noticed.

2. yep. Like anything, if you don't look after it it will die. Doesn't matter what welding machine it is or welding gun it might be.
I had one bloke tell me that his off sider had to put the welder up onto a stool so that it was higher off the ground so that he could weld some beams for the shed roof. He pulled it that little bit too much and the old welder fell of and smashed the adapter in the end of the mig gun that goes into the machine.

And its like the bloke who buys a SIP welder and tries to weld up a truck body with it because his mate has one at home and it is really good. Cut a long story short there is virtually no duty cycle in that particular machine. He said that they were welding for about a minute or so then it stopped working.

Called out a rep/technician or something and he just looked at his watch and said nope that's working fine.

3. Can't comment on this one, as I don't know.

4. As to the gasless FCAW, I have seen places where all they use is exclusivley just that. One bloke in particular uses it to manufacture house stumps. These are roughly 75x75x3 or 4mm gal shs. Why? He doesn't want to pay the gas bottle rental and gas bottle hire. And doesn't need to buy nozzles and shrouds for his welder either.

I have only used gasless mig wire once or twice before in the past. And that was on an el'chepo mig, good enough for DIY work. The welds were, yeah not that great.

Only two days ago I threw a spool of Kiswel gasless mig wire onto my machine, 3phase. And I tell you what I was totally amazed at how well it welded. Yeah heaps of smoke and spatter, but the weld bead apperance wasn't far off that of an average gas assisted solid mig welded wire bead.

I will get a photo up.

The other "industrial" FCAW wires like the KOBE DW-50 and DW-100 use a shielding gas as well. FCAW puts it down deeper, harder and faster. eg fixing up an excavator or front end loader bucket? Use some FCAW gas assisted wire.

Peter

Apples
23rd Feb 2009, 11:09 PM
Forgot about this thread.

Here are some photos of the gasless mig wire that I used.