PDA

View Full Version : Inverter TIG/MMA

Rossluck
4th Jul 2007, 04:38 PM
I thought I'd hit the jackpot when I paid $150.00 for a 2nd hand 160 amp Chinese inverter TIG/MMA welder yesterday, but the damn thing doesn't work! :(

The dual fans start but I can't get a spark out of it on either TIG or stick. I took the cover off and had a good look over it hoping to find a fuse, and it seems to be in good nick. There was a bit of a flash burn on one of the circuit boards, but I'm not sure if it looked bad enough to be the problem. It probably is.

Bit of a bummer. I can take it back without any problems but I wanted one.

Tas_Dean
5th Jul 2007, 11:13 AM
I'd be taking it back. I tried to repair an esab caddy once, with some help from an electronics guru.

After putting in $150 worth of new components, it tested brilliantly - Until I struck an arc. Bang and all the new components blown again.

With scorch marks on the circuit boards, forget it.

Rossluck
5th Jul 2007, 04:06 PM
I'd be taking it back. I tried to repair an esab caddy once, with some help from an electronics guru.

After putting in $150 worth of new components, it tested brilliantly - Until I struck an arc. Bang and all the new components blown again.

With scorch marks on the circuit boards, forget it.

That's what I figured. It took it back today. Not for the first time :rolleyes: I discover that there are no short cuts ....

Thanks Dean