PDA

View Full Version : Ordered me welder today!

Wild Dingo
20th Jun 2007, 02:09 AM
Well I rang Perth Tool and Machinery Sales in Bunbury today and ordered my welder :2tsup:

I had a bit of a gander at the ones offered by other places bunnys et al and decided to hell with it get a friggin good one and be done... so a CIG it is

Its either a Transtig 200Pi... or a Transarc Easywelder turbo... reckon it will be the transarc since I told the bloke I only know arc welding so the other stuff would be wasted on me... either way a smidgeon under 500 smackeroos

Will give him a hoi in the mornin to check on which one... from memory its a 170 amp stick with a 15amp plug small compact and mobile

mmm looking over the site brochures it may even be the transarc 165i as that fits the few scant things I remember him saying :doh: but I dont know thats a "real" industrial jobbie that fella I reckon so no for now I will stick with either the tig or the easywelder... ah buggar it better wait till the morrow an find out for sure... ANYWAYS!! Its on its way!! WHAHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :2tsup: .. sorry got a bit carried away for a tick there :B

Gotta get the helmet the gloves the rods etc etc as well but by geezz just ordering it and knowing its on its way has bought forth a mess of great wee jobs and some larger ones as well that Ive not done in years simply because I sold the last one... shouldnta done that :doh: but will be good to weld the towbar back on the effy by crikey! :2tsup:

So gotta get me some nice steel to weld up into all sorts of weird and wonderous shapes eh!! :;

Wild Dingo
20th Jun 2007, 06:10 PM
Okay made a call and its the CIG Transarc Easywelder Turbo! Talk about a bottler industrial jobbie :2tsup:

SPECIFICATIONS
SUPPLY VOLTAGE:
240 volt
1 phase 50Hz
SUPPLY PLUG AND LEAD:
15 amps
COOLING:
Fan Cooled
MINIMUM RECOMMENDED GENERATOR:
8.5 kVA for maximum welding current
WELDING CURRENT RANGE:
35-170 amps
OPEN CIRCUIT VOLTAGE RANGE:
48-72 volts
POWER SOURCE WEIGHT:
23kg
DIMENSIONS:
H360mm x W270mm x D525mm
APPROVALS:
Australian Standard AS3195

This heavy duty, dual range, fan cooled, portable arc
welder has infinitely adjustable welding current from
35 to 170 amps and is designed to operate from a
domestic 240 volt, 15 amp power point. It is
designed to meet the requirements of tradesman,
maintenance personnel, farmers and home projects.
The dual range welding output accommodates a
wide material range including mild steel, stainless
steel, alloy steel, cast iron and copper alloys for
electrodes sizes 2.5mm to 4.0mm.

You blokes reckon this will be the ducks knuts?

aah well its on its way anyways so it has to be... comes with all the gear but think I will get one of those auto darkening helmet things if I remember rightly it was a bit of a pain in the bum having to nod to get the thing to flip down... anyways should be here Friday!! gotta be happy with that eh!! :2tsup:

Rossluck
20th Jun 2007, 06:39 PM
Sorry to be the one to tell you, Dingo, but that's the worst welder ever made. I bought one and I now use it as an anchor.

Only joking. Sounds good. :wink:

Wild Dingo
20th Jun 2007, 08:36 PM
Well mate thank goodness someone responded :2tsup: ... even if tongue in cheek :; I was beginin to think Id turned into the inbizible fella!! :o

I went and scored another triton superjaws this arvo and got the engineers vice as well so that should take care of the holding issues I once had :roll: actually Im really looking forward to getting into it again :2tsup: they only had one set of both the engineers jaws and the wood log jaws so I snuffled them both and will get another of each next week when the new lot comes in... that way doesnt matter how long the sucker is I CAN HOLD IT!! :2tsup:

Grahame Collins
20th Jun 2007, 09:29 PM
Hi Wild Dingo
If its the model I think it is its a good un.A great middle of the range machine.

A word of warning with the Super Jaws.They can be shin destroyers if you stand in the wrong place when the locking release tab is pulled.
The leverage pedal shoots up an smashes the shin, eeeeyouchh!. The good news is that the original model is as tough as old boots.
If you'll be using it for steel and fabrication the nylon jaws don't last too long.The little button catches snap or the heat melts the nylon. You can buy a steel jaw for them but its probably cheaper to make one.

Congratulations on your purchase

Grahame

Tommy
20th Jun 2007, 09:37 PM
Gday Dingo, Sound like it is the same one i have ,Am very happy with it and it has done a lot racks ,benches ,cleat welding ect. I dont think you would be too disappointed with it..Come to think about it I paid about $500 for it around 12 years ago.:-

graemet
20th Jun 2007, 11:19 PM
I was beginin to think Id turned into the inbizible fella!! :o

Eh???? You? NEVER!

Seriously, Ding, enjoy your welder. It's amazing how many things pop up that just have to be done with a new toy.:2tsup::2tsup:
Cheers
Graeme

under thumb
21st Jun 2007, 11:32 AM
I think you made a really good call getting the CIG welder. The specs sound similar to one my old man brought from CIG and after 15 years of abuse still going strong. Liked it so much I took a chance on a second hand one. Both have had the 15 amp plug changed to 10 amp, I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing. What's your thoughts on this Mr Collins?

Eli
21st Jun 2007, 11:53 AM
Jeezum Crow Ding! And you say YANKS are made of money!:doh: Lookit you Mr. "I'm building my beautiful new kit house well above the flood line and while I'm at it I'll just pick up a bunch of new welding stuff and a few pairs of superjaws because I'm getting bored using all these expensive woodworking tools in my huge shed"........
:2tsup:
Congratulations Man! Hope you have a lot of fun with your new welder. Please post pix of all your projects. I came a shave away from getting a new miggy this morning. CIG is the best brand out here eh? hmmm....... what does she need me to weld up for her............?

Wild Dingo
21st Jun 2007, 01:07 PM
Jeezum Crow Ding! And you say YANKS are made of money!... Lookit you Mr. "I'm building my beautiful new kit house well above the flood line and while I'm at it I'll just pick up a bunch of new welding stuff and a few pairs of superjaws because I'm getting bored using all these expensive woodworking tools in my huge shed"........

aaahh geeez hope it doesnt come across like that :doh: ...sorry if it does but sometimes I get a tad enthusiastic and cant help sharin :B guess it comes from so many years of doin without that when it happens its like the missus havin another tadpole... but its not meant to sound like that :C trouble is I cant help meself when I get excited and enthusiastic it just burbles out an I gotta share it around

And the shed IS NOT huge its friggin tiny... well so says me who wanted much bigger but had to settle for what we could afford after the flood receeded... its too friggin small!! well with what Im tryin to stuff in there its way too small just ask Christopher!! and that was before this!! yep Ive decided that a 6x9 is simply way too small... now Ive got the 2 superjaws and the engine crane in there along with the damned canoe setup and the upcoming welder I cant even get in the sodding front door of the thing I have to go around the side and squish through between everything! :C what to do what to do he cried... aaahh I know... what does anyone do when they get stressed out... RETAIL THERAPY!!! no its not something restricted for just the sheilas Ive always been worse for taking retail therapy breaks than her highness... which is why we had to stop having kids got to 8 and she started freaking about finances and such :roll:

Congratulations Man! Hope you have a lot of fun with your new welder. Please post pix of all your projects.

No worries Eli no worries at all :2tsup: ... damn just wish theyd ring me and say "its here come pick it up" :roll:

Wild Dingo
21st Jun 2007, 02:16 PM
WHAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :2tsup: :2tsup: :2tsup: :2tsup:

:doh: oops... ahem my bad :B

but I dont care!!! I got the call on me way to pick her up YESSSSSSSSS!!! :2tsup:

Wild Dingo
22nd Jun 2007, 01:43 AM
Okay so Im a bit of a bloody daft buggar from time to time dopey you know?

So anyways I went in all excited and picked it and all the accessories I would need along with a few other things that I didnt need quite yet but would do soon enough and bought it home set it on the workbench and pulled it from the box... set the wheels on her set the handle on her and stood back thinkin :rule:

Then we had to bolt out for a few hours which turned into a fair few hours and getting back I sat back with a cuppa to read the instruction manual... then I started wondering... 15amp plug 10amp outlets arc welding power surging = not good

so being as I was pretty :unsure: but this time I called young Ben over and had a long yarn with him... see the house has never recovered electrically from the flood and the mistreatment by the electricians in this town at that time (presently the house has power to only half the house lights to the whole place but power to points to only half of it and even then its nearly a nightly occurance that the power board switches out) and theres issues in the power to the place safe as long as we dont use the power outlets at one end apparently

So the outside powerpoint that I connect the extention lead for the shed is right on the border of the halfway mark so it works... just... but its 10amp... now Bens view is I FKD up real badly getting this welder since I cant use it without risking fusing the house wiring which is dicky at the best of times and would certainly blow a gasket if an arc welder is used through it especially if that ampage isnt the same 10amp as the outlet

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! :damn:

So I now have a welder straight outta the box totally unused that I cant bloody use without fritzing the bloody house (or the welder or both = not good) so not to whine or complain or nuthin Ive got it pretty bloody good and I know it... but geez you reckon a bloke would get it friggin right eh? :doh:

So I will give them a hoi in the morning and see what can be done... sigh... maybe a swap for a transmig or something like that with a blasted 10amp plug on the thing!! :doh:

I need a few more :tequila: :C

hux
22nd Jun 2007, 10:01 AM
Yep the joys of high current devices. Welders are notorious for popping circuit breakers when things aren't wired up properly. My Migomag 220 will pop out well short of full noise because my slack ass electrician brother hasn't connected the power up to the shed and I am running off an extension lead.

One way around this is to have a 15amp power point fitted at your powerboard and weld at that location (well on an extension lead). At the board you are getting all the power available and if independently fused will not bother your house wiring one bit.

Craig

Okay so Im a bit of a bloody daft buggar from time to time dopey you know?

So anyways I went in all excited and picked it and all the accessories I would need along with a few other things that I didnt need quite yet but would do soon enough and bought it home set it on the workbench and pulled it from the box... set the wheels on her set the handle on her and stood back thinkin :rule:

Then we had to bolt out for a few hours which turned into a fair few hours and getting back I sat back with a cuppa to read the instruction manual... then I started wondering... 15amp plug 10amp outlets arc welding power surging = not good

so being as I was pretty :unsure: but this time I called young Ben over and had a long yarn with him... see the house has never recovered electrically from the flood and the mistreatment by the electricians in this town at that time (presently the house has power to only half the house lights to the whole place but power to points to only half of it and even then its nearly a nightly occurance that the power board switches out) and theres issues in the power to the place safe as long as we dont use the power outlets at one end apparently

So the outside powerpoint that I connect the extention lead for the shed is right on the border of the halfway mark so it works... just... but its 10amp... now Bens view is I FKD up real badly getting this welder since I cant use it without risking fusing the house wiring which is dicky at the best of times and would certainly blow a gasket if an arc welder is used through it especially if that ampage isnt the same 10amp as the outlet

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! :damn:

So I now have a welder straight outta the box totally unused that I cant bloody use without fritzing the bloody house (or the welder or both = not good) so not to whine or complain or nuthin Ive got it pretty bloody good and I know it... but geez you reckon a bloke would get it friggin right eh? :doh:

So I will give them a hoi in the morning and see what can be done... sigh... maybe a swap for a transmig or something like that with a blasted 10amp plug on the thing!! :doh:

I need a few more :tequila: :C

Wild Dingo
22nd Jun 2007, 01:23 PM
Okay cheers fellas

What Ive done... I rang Ken and had a yarn with him and his thoughts were "no worries Shane bring it back and we will sort it" so I went in and ended up upgrading it a Transmig 135 which is both gas and gasless and on 10amp so Im good to go now just out of pocket a further 400 sigh... boy she DIDNT like that! :o But its done

as for the 1/2in welding job Im gonna go with high tensile bolts through angle and just run a weld around the threaded end... and that should stop the bolts coming loose

So thanks for all the help eh!
Cheers
Shane

pipeclay
22nd Jun 2007, 08:48 PM
sounds like youpaid out neally 900 for another 100 you could of picked up a nice lincon sp 170t

Chris Parks
23rd Jun 2007, 12:39 AM
Ding, don't try and use a welder off a long extension lead. The current drop is to big and will cause you to wonder why the friggin hell you can't stick two bluddy pieces of metal together. Single phase can be bad enough for the inexperienced......(you do know how to weld doncha)? but single phase using an extension cord could bring a new meaning to..... Why can't I get this bluddy mongrel to work?????????????/!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wild Dingo
23rd Jun 2007, 02:51 AM
Your right mate... Id just remembered that one so no extention lead if I can avoid it... which will mean for now at least making some blinds and STRICT rules so I can do it down near the house... shed wont be powered up now until the new house is finished :C which considering we havent started erecting it yet heck we havent even got final plans yet!! :doh: it could be some time away :C

As the welding job on the F100 is now negated the other thing I remembered which is now rather redundant is to disconnect the battery BEFORE you start welding!... strewth I remembered the mess it made of the landrover we made a roof rack for! First welding of my own I did aside from joining peices to get a feel for it and brother did I F*** it up totally :doh: :doh: but I did learn... its just been a bloody long while since I did any so remembering these things is slow but sure... but then with the weather as it is for at least the weekend Ive got a couple of days to remember other stuff now forgotten :2tsup:

I havent done anything with it yet other than put it on the bench and make sure everything was there and read the instruction manual... which was no where near as informative as the transarc one was... very little welding direction I guess they figure if you can get a mig you can weld :roll: But she will be jake I'll sort it!!

Cheers