PDA

View Full Version : new to welding.

Bluegum
9th Sep 2006, 09:26 PM
I'm thinking at looking at buying a welder for those round the house jobs that need to be done. Question that I pose is what would be an ideal unit for me to look at for basic works. I know that GMC have a mig welder in their cattledog. Being GMC I was wondering if its any good? Or is it worth spending a bit extra on something else. It won't be used every day but would be handy to have here at home.

Schtoo
9th Sep 2006, 10:46 PM
Dave, as little as I like saying this, do a search.

The subject of welding and migs has been done to death around here, and there should be enough info about to let you form an expert opinion on wether the GMC will be any good.

(If yer too lazy to do a search, I wouldn't touch a GMC MIG welder with the longest pole I could find. Arc, ok. Mig is too fussy to be half donkeyed. ;) )

Grahame Collins
10th Sep 2006, 08:06 AM
I must say that the mig mindset upon beginner welders is widespread. Unless you are willing to spend roughly around a grand , don't bother. Lower level models are not builit with efficientcy, reliability and longevity in mind.

There is no inbuilt brain that will automatically make the newby welder a step better than his fellow who chooses a stick machine.

There are a number of variable inputs compared to only one with a stick machine. Unless those inputs are matched and tuned to one another you get problems, many more than will with a stick set up.
Sure you can can weld down to sheet metal thickness, but only IF you can understand the practical and theory aspects of a somewhat complicated electrical/ mechanical device you are using and how to troubleshoot problems which will invariably flow form having purchased a low end model.

Spend your $100 or so on a GMC stick machine and read up on the material already here and I promise you shall be streets ahead in the long run.

With the bucks you save ,shout yourself an electric LCD auto darkening helmet and some decent electrodes and practice, practice practice, striking an arc and running a bead.
If I can teach Yr ll & 12 students to stick weld,I would respectfully suggest that nearly anybody else of reasonable intelligence can stick weld.
Hope I don't come across the wrong way but I hate to see people blowing good money away on what are very poorly produced mig /flux core machines.

My friends ,it is all about fitness for purpose.

Mig has its place in metalwork for sure, but not at the begginner end of the DIY welding spectrum.

Stepping down off my soapbox now

I hope this helps
Grahame

masoth
10th Sep 2006, 08:42 AM
Thanks Grahame. I've been looking at starting with welders too, and after reading several books from my local library had (yesterday) reached the conclusion that 'stick' was for me - but was considering a machine with slightly higher specifications than GMC for $280, which included some extras like a selection of sticks, and a mask, etc., not that they are the bait.

soth

Bluegum
11th Sep 2006, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the info in all that blokes. I will do a lot more research before buying anything as well as going through the forum here.

Com_VC
12th Sep 2006, 08:43 PM
Yep stick with a stick welder as your first machine, don't need to spend a lot for something decent.

Avoid those cheap chinese migs, they are nothing but trouble. You will need to spend upwards of $1000 for something decent as suggested above.

I use 400 amp WIA's everyday worth $5000+ and sometimes have problems with them not working right. There are plenty of things that go wrong with migs and if you are not sure what you are doing can give you headaches.

They also much more costly to keep running than a stick as you need to pay ridiculous prices to rent the bottle.

Dean
13th Sep 2006, 10:06 PM
For what its worth, the GMC $99ish arc welder is at least made in Italy :)

I got one and it works ok. Just be sure to research the correct type of welding sticks to buy for it, and for the task at hand.

Grahame Collins
14th Sep 2006, 05:40 PM
As for electrodes (sticks)

99% of home welders would use 2,5 mm diameter elecrodes.If you are really
game and wish to have a crack at light guage materials later, some 2mm diamater will be all you need if you are starting on mild steel work.
Look for the code 4112 or 4113 branded near the stub (bare) end.
If they are American code(or made in Asia) and primarily intended for the American market they will be marked as 6012 or 6013 ( equal to above codes ).
Don,t forget a chipping hammer, a wire brush and a set of decent elbow length gloves. See your friendly welding supply shop for those or pay excess $ for the crap ones that Bunnies carry.

Grahame

clanger
24th Oct 2006, 09:22 PM
hi there im new to this forum and joined mainly for the metal section. yes arc welder is the way to go for beginners and home users they are great because as everyone has said they are cheap and easy to use. i learnt to use on on the farm when i was 7 yrs old and weld with them everyday on farms . we have a lincoln sam 400 diesel welder so that takes care of most of the work and we have a 400 amp wia fabricator for workshop use . im happy to help and give some guidence on welding if anyone else here cant anwser it .