PDA

View Full Version : Can I use Argon instead of Argoshield

1303Steve
2nd Apr 2006, 10:57 PM
Hi

This my 1st post so be gentle with me.

I currently rent 2 oxy bottles and 1 Argoshield bottle. Ive bought an inverter welder with a TIG attachment and cant wait to have a go with it.

I really dont want to rent another bottle from BOC, they get enough of my money. My question is, can I use Argoshield with the TIG or can I use Argon with the MIG? If I could, this would mean I would only need one bottle for the two machines.

Regards Steve

Grahame Collins
3rd Apr 2006, 08:46 AM
Hi Steve
Welcome to the mob.
The quick answer is yes and no.
Aluminium------------Argon
Stainless steel -------Argoshield Mix
Steel ----------------Argon on a Mig ------------Argoshield mix

Part of the problem with ther cost is those "bottles" you ,make reference to.
They are 10mm thick wall high tensile steel designed tocontain the very high stored gas pressure, in the area where is supposed to be. We are talking 2500 psi or 17,500 Kpa. End Users fail to appreciate the amount of inspection and maintainence that goes into the life cycle of cylinders.

Much of the gas we use is sucked from the atmosphere ,compressed and split up into the various gases we are familiar with.The plants that can do this are expensive and therefore there are not generally widely located.Transport costs to and from these plants add to your maintainence costs.

regards
Grahame

China
4th Apr 2006, 12:40 AM
Much cheaper in the states you can purchase cylinders and have them refilled. Companies overhere see us all comming

1303Steve
6th Apr 2006, 09:16 AM
Hi

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate what BOC do to keep me safe with testing etc of the cylinders etc. I spoke to BOC and the guy suggested that I save up all my TIG welding for 1 month, do monthly rental and do all my welding at once.

Steve

stevew
13th Apr 2006, 04:30 PM
Hi Steve
Welcome to the mob.
The quick answer is yes and no.
Aluminium------------Argon
Stainless steel -------Argoshield Mix
Steel ----------------Argon on a Mig ------------Argoshield mix

Part of the problem with ther cost is those "bottles" you ,make reference to.
They are 10mm thick wall high tensile steel designed tocontain the very high stored gas pressure, in the area where is supposed to be. We are talking 2500 psi or 17,500 Kpa. End Users fail to appreciate the amount of inspection and maintainence that goes into the life cycle of cylinders.

Much of the gas we use is sucked from the atmosphere ,compressed and split up into the various gases we are familiar with.The plants that can do this are expensive and therefore there are not generally widely located.Transport costs to and from these plants add to your maintainence costs.

regards
Grahame
Good Afternoon.
I currently have Argoshield in use on my MIG.I am going to borrow a friends TIG to repair some Stainless Steel motorcycle mufflers,he tells me that his Argon bottle is empty.
Question is...Can I run the TIG with my Argoshield mix and still get a good result,the stainless mufflers are 1.5mm walled.
Looking forward to your reply
Thank You.
Steve

Mick C.
13th Apr 2006, 10:04 PM
Grahame may have extra info, but i'd be using nothing other than straight Argon and also back shielding, stainless is fussy stuff and can be even worse depending on the grade.:)

bez
14th Apr 2006, 10:54 AM
Good Afternoon.
I currently have Argoshield in use on my MIG.I am going to borrow a friends TIG to repair some Stainless Steel motorcycle mufflers,he tells me that his Argon bottle is empty.
Question is...Can I run the TIG with my Argoshield mix and still get a good result,the stainless mufflers are 1.5mm walled.
Looking forward to your reply
Thank You.
Steve

Only use pure Argon when welding with TIG,this applies to all metals especially thin material where it is even more critical.There are special grades of gases for Tig welding eg Argon/Helium mix etc but they are not necessary for mainstream applications. Some people use Argoshield (mixed gases for tacking etc) but it is not the correct gas and doesn't weld very well.
By the same token you do not use pure Argon to weld steel with the mig process, it leaves a very "cold" looking weld that lacks penetration. Use pure Argon in mig for Aluminium only