PDA

View Full Version : Model Engineering Workshop

KBs PensNmore
23rd Jun 2018, 03:40 PM
In the latest MEW 266, there are some intersting projects, including making Anti Vibrating Feet, useful lathe Modifications, plus other useful ideas.
Next month is supposed to be an article on building a versatile bench oven for curing and heat treatment.
Can continue on with updates, if anyone is interested.
Hope this helps someone.
Kryn

Grahame Collins
24th Jun 2018, 02:07 PM
Gday Kryn,

I am interested in all of those topics.

We don't see that particular mag on the shelves up here anymore. When it was here it was more expensive than other overseas mags anyway.

I may be forced to into going online and get the good oil that way. I was never a fan of e mags, I cant drag the iMac over to the workshop.

Grahame

KBs PensNmore
24th Jun 2018, 11:44 PM
Hi Grahame PM sent.

bwal74
7th Jul 2018, 02:37 PM
I had a subscription awhile back, but the articles seemed to stagnate and I let it run out. I still read them every now and then.

morrisman
7th Jul 2018, 03:19 PM
Those articles in MEW 266 sound interesting. I did download and print many of the earlier articles when I had the subscription . The newsagents here did have it at one time, not sure now. Was dissapointed with the later issues , disillusioned and didn't renew

steamingbill
7th Jul 2018, 11:19 PM
Every now and then Magzter runs a special on their Gold package.

$50 gets you 12 months access to electronic MEW and ME and approx 3000 other magazines. You can "share" the subscription with 4 other users. So that would be $10 each.

Included in the 3000 are a few woodwork and railway magazines , health and fitness mags, and various computer/internet magazines.

Worth a look.

Bill

russ57
8th Jul 2018, 12:08 AM
How good is the viewer? Ive found the mew online is sometimes a bit hard to read.

Russ

morrisman
8th Jul 2018, 12:42 PM
Every now and then Magzter runs a special on their Gold package. Bill Does Magzter allow the printing of articles or do you have to resort to the 'Print Screen' key ?

steamingbill
8th Jul 2018, 03:31 PM
How good is the viewer? Ive found the mew online is sometimes a bit hard to read.

Russ

2 different viewers

1. Android for Tablets and Phones
2. Desktop PC Windows based

I prefer Android viewer, as my Tablet has a decent screen with finer resolution than the old TV I have connnected to the desktop - maybe if you have a modern computer monitor or a modern TV the resolution might be as good as a decent Tablet ? I don't know enough to give an answer. On both of them you can zoom in a long way to "magnify" things.

I have never had any problems or concerns about the viability of the text/drawings/photos on either system.

Magzter help desk has told me that the system is optimised for Tablets and I can see that there is a bit more functionality on the Tablet and its easier to use.

Does Magzter allow the printing of articles or do you have to resort to the 'Print Screen' key ?

There is no print button. Would have to be screenshots. I simply take the tablet into the shed.

Personally I have always felt Magzter Gold to be extraordinary good value there would be approx 8 magazines that I regularly look at. That is easily $50+ per month in hard copy. There is a lot of repetition in the 3000 ie same magazine but different country version. I think you can browse the 3000 without buying in order to get an idea of the selection available.

Off to make some swarf in my cold cold shed.

Bill

wheelinround
9th Jul 2018, 06:14 PM
Gday Kryn,

I am interested in all of those topics.

We don't see that particular mag on the shelves up here anymore. When it was here it was more expensive than other overseas mags anyway.

I may be forced to into going online and get the good oil that way. I was never a fan of e mags, I cant drag the iMac over to the workshop.

Grahame

Grahame taking the Digital subscription isn't worth it they are ripping people off the App is as useless as using a fork for picking up water. 3 App updates and everytime it means you loose every downloaded magazine and unless you go online and re-download every single one you can not access them GRRRRRRRRRR If you have the saved to ext storage the App can not retrieve them when you do a clean install this doesn't matter if its PC, Tablet etc etc.

Grahame Collins
9th Jul 2018, 09:05 PM
Thank you Wheelingaround,
Your warning is very timely indeed. Last night I was I was on the verge of paying for a subscription but got distracted.

Like others, I didn't appreciate magazine content that was too far from what the magazine description was about.For instance motorcycle related engineering for one.

It was one of the reasons I stopped buying it at the newsagents.

Thanks
Grahame

KBs PensNmore
9th Jul 2018, 11:33 PM
Hi Guys, there is a lot of garbage in amonst it all, but one can gleam ideas to be utilised elsewhere. The current issue has an article about building a steam engine, not a scaled model, but the full sized one. It goes on about machinery required, small lathes mills etc. are used for most of it, large items are sent out to contractors who have the machines and skills to operate them
I still prefer the hard copy, I always fear that the electronic saving ideas, whatever they be, can be corrupted, or lost all together.
Easy to take to the shed, I don't have to worry about spilling coffee on it, unlike I thingy's.
Kryn

wheelinround
15th Jul 2018, 10:55 AM
I have to agree with Kryn ME & MEW are both top magazines. I subscribe to both in both forms print & digital, the latter taken out so as to gain access to the forums digital archive not available with print only.

The app problems are across the full range of Pocketmags Magzta and both individual ME & MEW app. The app is flawed in so much as it still uses Flash Player and that any update does not locate any past downloads. I have 6 yrs worth of MEW.

Yes at times both mags have long winded issue articles, articles on stuff only some are interested in much like on forums.

KBs PensNmore
15th Jul 2018, 06:54 PM
I managed to find a copy of MEW on CD, I have copies of issues 1-180 I think it is. Biggest problem is to find the time to read them.
I agree Ray, that some of the articles are long winded, one in fact goes for nearly a year, Building a Stepperhead Lathe, could almost be made into a book form. Still for what I like and need, these are small inconveniences, I just don't read or look at them.
Kryn

KBs PensNmore
25th Jul 2018, 07:43 PM
In issue 267, there is a Bandsaw drip lubricator, a High Speed engraving attachment for CNC, and an article on how to restore a worn lathe chuck.
Plus upgrades for a CO baby, accessories for Unimat SL1000. Some interesting articles in there.
Kryn

Com_VC
12th Aug 2018, 11:48 PM
I haven't bought a magazine in years, I just use google, YouTube and forums these days, seems to cover all my needs.

KBs PensNmore
26th Aug 2018, 11:43 PM
Just recently picked up the latest 2 issues of MEW. Issue 268 has a few I think interesting articles, one being converting a Caliper to a height gauge, another understanding thread dial indicators, and a solution for safer parting off.
Issue 269 also has some interesting articles, Tools from Trash a couple of polisher/sanders from a shaver and a hand held electric beater, Photograhic Lighting for the Workshop and a short article on boring accurate internal recesses.
Also an article on an Indexing Modification for a Tailstock Turret.
Kryn

KBs PensNmore
28th Sep 2018, 09:40 PM
Received issue 270 today.
With the usual interesting articles. For those with a Myford lathe; metric Overlays for the imperial thread cutting gearbox. An indexing head for the Unimat SL1000, a stepper motor driven toolchanger, Two useful worksop phone apps. Production Runs on the Lathe, a Sine Bar Angle Setting Gauge plus Lathework for the Beginner and for those that like the Horological side of things, Making the Ratchet Click Spring of a Mechanical Clock.
Kryn

China
1st Oct 2018, 05:54 PM
Which one has the heat treatment/curing oven article

KBs PensNmore
2nd Oct 2018, 08:56 PM
Hi China,
That article is in issue 267.
Kryn

wheelinround
4th Oct 2018, 09:40 AM
Looking forward to the read on Differential Dividing Head and the home built one..

KBs PensNmore
26th Oct 2018, 11:13 PM
Received the latest MEW issue 271 today.
Some really interesting articles in it, using a refrigerator compressor as a mini-comressor system for airbrushing, spray coolant and air, blowing off swarf etc. using a home made nozzle. As it runs very low pressure, swarf etc isn't blown everywhere, nor into crevices, etc.
An interesing article on milling a curved groove, without a ball end mill, and an article on abuse to innocent Bridgeports, basically pushing the envelope of one to cut an internal keyway.
Making a threading indicator for a lathe.
Plus the continuation of a stepper motor driven tool changer for a small CNC lathe.
Kryn

KBs PensNmore
31st Dec 2018, 11:43 PM
Just got issue 273 today. Some interesting articles, including a Fabricated Versatile Dividing Head, instead of using a casting, the author fabricated the shape and then ground out the welds to replicate a casting.
Utilising a AAA battery and holder to power a digital vernier, instead of the useless little battery.
Making an attachment to allow dividing awkward primes.
A solution to work holding on a mill using a self made adjustable vise, which consists of 3 parts, a fixed jaw, a moving jaw and a forcing "jaw".
An article explaining the art of differential dividing, with an attachment that turns a BSO Indexer into a Universal Dividing Head.
How to convert a spare slide into an automatic facing head.
A lever feed tailstock modification for a Mini Lathe.
Hope this helps someone, or gives an idea to solve a problem.
Kryn

Com_VC
31st Dec 2018, 11:57 PM
Utilising a AAA battery and holder to power a digital vernier, instead of the useless little battery. Kryn

Why is it a useless little battery?

KBs PensNmore
1st Jan 2019, 12:36 AM
Because everytime I go to use mine, the battery is flat, and I do switch it off everytime I'm finished with it.

Com_VC
1st Jan 2019, 12:59 AM
The batterys can be bought for very little though. You can get 100 of them for $10.50

I bought a pack of 50 over 5 years ago now and still have plenty left.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/250-100-50-10-LR44-Blister-Loose-Battery-AG13-A76-Button-Cell-1-5V-Batteries/321788939897?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D55156%26meid%3D04f94aaff43f421f83e2be555097fbc1%26pid%3D100505%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D321788939897&_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226

Gavin Newman
1st Jan 2019, 08:25 AM
Because everytime I go to use mine, the battery is flat, and I do switch it off everytime I'm finished with it.
More likely a function of the vernier circuit design, the battery in my Mitutoyo lasts at least a year of almost daily use. It turns off automatically after a period of inactivity.

wheelinround
1st Jan 2019, 09:29 AM
Because everytime I go to use mine, the battery is flat, and I do switch it off everytime I'm finished with it.Somewhere on here is a post re battery woes. I have 2 vernier different cheapies one doesnt last a month even removed.
The Workzone one last much longer even if battery left in and auto shut off on.

But like you Kryn there comes the time I need it and dead battery syndrome so i bought an analog type.

Grahame Collins
1st Jan 2019, 09:52 AM
Hi,

Back when I had cheap digital calipers I recall there were 2 different types of battery available.
One was a LR44 which has been in my only surviving digital caliper for 3 years now.

The other type which I have now forgotten its number designation never lasted a long time.
I changed types at the suggestion of the man in the battery shop.

Wether it shall make a difference in your case I do not know.
It is just my two bobs worth.

Grahame

BobL
1st Jan 2019, 10:28 AM
Some callipers use a 1.5V battery, but some will only work with a 1.55v battery which often leads some folks thinking the calliper no longer works.

0.05V sound trivial but some callipers work with either voltage battery but will last much longer if you use the 1.55V battery
This is probably because as well as a higher voltage, the silver oxide chemistry SR44/357s lose V slower and have more A/hrs than the Alkaline powered LR44 batteries.

The silvers cost more but they are usually worth it. I find it quite irritating to reach for a calliper only to find I have to change the battery.
Branded names also seem to last longer than cheaper brans or generics.
I get Maxells from Altronics for about $3 each if you have an account (anyone can get an account)

Has anyone tried the Vartas?

Michael G
1st Jan 2019, 12:56 PM
It helps as to which digital caliper you are using too. The (later) Mitutoyo's don't eat up battery power when off. Sadly other brands (including the cheapies) do. These days I try to limit button cell batteries to one or two mitutoyo calipers and either remove batteries from things that only get used occasionally (keep them in the fridge - they last longer) or preferably get 'old fashioned' measuring gear that uses dials or vernier scales.
SR44 batteries certainly are longer lasting than LR44 batteries, but they still cost.

Michael

Com_VC
2nd Jan 2019, 12:04 AM
Why not just buy them in bulk? They are not that expensive.

wheelinround
6th Jan 2019, 09:43 AM
Why not just buy them in bulk? They are not that expensive.This works if they dont go flat on you while in storage.[emoji849]

KBs PensNmore
26th Jan 2019, 11:42 PM
Picked up MEW Issue 274 today. An interesting article on a tool for removing the Myford Chuck, instead of using the backgear to lock it up, which could cause damage to the teeth.
A continuation of Differential Dividing, for anyone with a Drummond M-Type lathe an article on making Norman Type tool holders. Making split bushes and mandrels to achieve concentric turnings, also a short article on making a Direct Indexing Head from a scrapped Towing hitch. This type of hitch I don't normally see around, it's the ball cast/forged into a fitting with the plate attached ready to bolt on. Fixed flange tow bar, I think they're called.377819
For those that have a Mini Mill, fitting a power feed to one. Plus an index of issues 261 - 272
Hope this helps someone.
Kryn

wheelinround
27th Jan 2019, 09:40 AM
Picked up MEW Issue 274 today. An interesting article on a tool for removing the Myford Chuck, instead of using the backgear to lock it up, which could cause damage to the teeth.
A continuation of Differential Dividing, for anyone with a Drummond M-Type lathe an article on making Norman Type tool holders. Making split bushes and mandrels to achieve concentric turnings, also a short article on making a Direct Indexing Head from a scrapped Towing hitch. This type of hitch I don't normally see around, it's the ball cast/forged into a fitting with the plate attached ready to bolt on. Fixed flange tow bar, I think they're called.377819
For those that have a Mini Mill, fitting a power feed to one. Plus an index of issues 261 - 272
Hope this helps someone.
KrynKryn you'll see a lot more of those UK European hitches about as Aussies towbars can't be fitted to many European cars. Viods warranty no where to attach them to.
They are useless hitches for our conditions and size of towed stuff.

KBs PensNmore
27th Jan 2019, 11:03 PM
Thanks for that Ray, sounds like a good use for them then:D.
Kryn

KBs PensNmore
10th May 2019, 07:49 PM
Got the latest MEW 278 today. A few interesting articles in it, the front cover has a Alba Shaper that has been partly CNC'd. Grinding with CBN (Cubic Boron Nitride), an alternative way of bolting down a drill press vise, a carry on article from the precvious issue on constructing and using stepped chucks and a concluding article on making the cam grinding machine
There's a short article on Gib tightening and in the same article, on machine lighting.
Hope this benifits someone.
Kryn

KBs PensNmore
5th Jun 2019, 11:33 PM
Picked up the latest issue 279 today, and it has some good articles in it. For those that have a Myford or 2, making a tailstock dial for it. Fine Feed Gears for the Mini Lathe, an interesting article on choosing Collets, and for those that like to make items for their shed, Constructing a workshop crane, making a powerful Carriage Lock, and a Trammel for Marking out.
Also the conclusion of Living with a SX3 Milling Machine.
Kryn

KBs PensNmore
6th Jul 2019, 09:29 PM
Issue 280 is now out. Several interesting articles, making your own Sine Bar, a Carbide Insert tooling for small lathes, miniature bearing puller, tips for turning Acme Worm threads. Adding a tailstock micrometer dial to a Myford S7 lathe, an interesting article on the usefulness of ER Extension Spindles, and finally a couple of articles on converting a Colchester Bantam Mk1 from 3 phase to single phase, utilising the original switchgear and Variable Frequency Drive for the Myford S7.
Hope these are of interest for someone.
Kryn

wheelinround
9th Jul 2019, 11:08 AM
You'll like the 11" rotory table build

KBs PensNmore
31st Aug 2019, 01:27 PM
Some more interesting articles in this issue, making a Hydraulic press, a simple Myford Lever stop, to prevent it falling backwards when released, a secondary hand wheel which replaces the projecting handle, a sliding chop saw utilising a 4" angle grinder.
An article on how to use/utilise a disc brake to make an 11" rotary table.
For all those that want to design and build a lifting beam for the workshop there are formulaes on how to calculate your SWL (Safe Work Limit) Michael might like to read that and advise if the calculation formulae is correct.
Anyone that has a "D" Bit grinder or "Universal" Grinder, a way to modify it to become more universal by adding some easy to make tool holders.
Also a way of removing bearings that connot be accessed from behind. There was a similar thread posted recently about this subject.
Plus the usual continuation of Lathework for beginners.
Kryn

Michael G
31st Aug 2019, 01:45 PM
Disclaimer:
I take no responsibility for the formulas in MEW (or any other publication) being either correct or incorrect and will not advise anyone as to whether or not to use them. I have not seen those formula and have no plans to review them. Anyone using said formulas without correct training and understanding of them and their application do so solely at their own risk, and are advised to consult with an engineer with structural or mechanical experience if they have concerns.

(See also https://metalworkforums.com/f307/t203572-risk-liability )

Michael

KBs PensNmore
31st Aug 2019, 02:35 PM
Fair enough Michael, I forgot about that issue, will try to remember that in future.

wheelinround
1st Sep 2019, 11:07 AM
Gone the days of common sense, the Aussie *give it a go*.

wheelinround
13th Oct 2019, 09:48 AM
Got my notification for renewal recently Print & Digital in excess of £100 for 12 months making it close to $200AU
Guess those writting articles are making a good living out of it & regular income with length of some of the ME builds in particular.

No longer a magazine for younger minds or to spend pocket money on.

steamingbill
13th Oct 2019, 02:37 PM
Hey Wheelinround,

Get a current Groupon voucher for $30 for Magzter and you get 12 months access to electronic copies of ME and MEW and approx 3000 other magazines including various computer, photography and woodwork and fiction.

Personally I would only read approx 8 of the 3000 which consist of lots of obscure publications them but $30 is better than $200

Only downside is no hard copies, but you can save pages and print them.

9 hours left on the coupons google groupon magzter gold to find them, you can share with 4 other people brings the cost down to $6.

Bill

wheelinround
24th Nov 2019, 11:18 AM
Bill took the leap many thanks for the info wish I had done it sooner[emoji849]

steamingbill
24th Nov 2019, 11:41 AM
Kryn has mentioned before when there is an index in the hard copy magazines.

There are various online databases and indexes that cover ME and MEW one list is available here (https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/news/article/indexes-to-model-engineers-workshop/19778)

I picked up a few years of hard copies quite cheaply and its convenient to use the indexes to search them rather than flip through looking for a vaguely remembered article.

Bill

wheelinround
1st Dec 2019, 11:42 AM
Bill check pm pls

Yes index is awesome

The added abvantage is other magazones you can read [emoji16] waste time om.

wheelinround
20th Dec 2020, 09:58 AM
Just a quick mention Australian Model Engineering no longer printing. I was this last year lucky enough to be given a box of these magazines No1 through to 195..

wheelinround
7th Feb 2021, 11:05 AM
Recently MWE reached 300 issues, nice achievement for an offshoot of ME.

In relation to Model Engineer what happened to issue 4657? Did they or I miss one?

wheelinround
14th Feb 2021, 11:49 AM
Did anyone get Model Engineer 4657 2021?

russ57
14th Feb 2021, 01:16 PM
I heard there was some reason they weren't posted overseas. If you have a subscription I'd contact them and ask for your copy.

wheelinround
19th Feb 2021, 11:52 AM
I heard there was some reason they weren't posted overseas. If you have a subscription I'd contact them and ask for your copy.A digital subscription through alternative source. Emailed them they didnt get it either. They are chasing it up with ME

wheelinround
21st Feb 2021, 10:45 AM
Thanks sorted by mmy digital supllier

KBs PensNmore
16th May 2021, 04:41 PM
In this issue. is a Lathe Clutch, that might be of interest to some of the members on here. Plus making a lantern chuck which would be handy for cutting down small bolts/screws plus other small holding requirements.
Kryn