PDA

View Full Version : Re Bluing gun barrel

joez
8th Jun 2018, 04:21 PM
Hi All, I have a friend who managed to remove some bluing from the side of his barrel with some overzealous cleaning.

Is re bluing , cold bluing , something the average Joe can tackle? or can you recommend someone who can do it for a reasonable price in Melbourne.

Assuming the whole barrel would need to be stripped and redone.

Thanks
Joe

Grahame Collins
8th Jun 2018, 07:37 PM
Its not rocket science ,but I somethink some manufactures are free and loose with the truth.

Here a comparison between well known US brands.

https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/gunsmithing-projects-techniques/390731-evaluation-several-cold-bluing-products-w-pics.html

Grahame

China
9th Jun 2018, 02:00 AM
In my experience cold blue is just a patch up method, I have never used or heard of one that even comes close to hot blue, in saying that you may only want to
patch it up, hot blue requires a complete disassembly of the firearm, the last one I had done was about $300

BobL
9th Jun 2018, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the lead on that article Grahame.

The testing suggested the best bluing agent was Nu-Blu from Stock Docs.
https://stockdocusa.com/shop?olsPage=products
They still recommend a clear protective coating on top of the bluing called Barricade.

As it so happens my bro and I were discussing this last weekend and how he wanted to blue some things and I said I would look into it.

I decided to just try placing a "pretend' order for Nu Blu just to see what the shipping would be.
Shipping to the US continental states is free but shipping form the US to Oz has become horribly expensive in the last year or so I wanted to see what it was.
Any way a message comes up “your shipping is free”! I suspect they algorithm that assesses shipping saw WA [Australia] as Washington.
So I placed an order and it went through with no shipping charge, and have received confirmation about it.

Now I just went back into look at some other products and a new message has appeared.
"No international shipping is available at this time. "
So I'm waiting for the "sorry we cannot ship this" message to come through.

familyguy
11th Jun 2018, 10:33 AM
I've used cold blue a few times and in my experience while you can coverup small patches you'll find if the patch is any size it will show due to a mismatch in colour - the colour produced by cold blue is actually more of a grey/blue than the deep blue produced by hot nitre blueing.

BobL
12th Jun 2018, 12:02 AM
. . . . .Now I just went back into look at some other products and a new message has appeared.
"No international shipping is available at this time. "
So I'm waiting for the "sorry we cannot ship this" message to come through.

Yep email just came through cancelling my order and refunding my payment.

Grahame Collins
12th Jun 2018, 08:38 AM
We can blame Jerry Harvey for this!

The net result is that from July 1st , a lot of hobbyists will not be able to obtain certain supplies/ goods - once only available from the overseas source- whether or not the buyer would be willing to pay GST on them, or not.

The vendors are now deciding, its now all in the too hard basket and we hobbyists are left with no access at all, to those special items we need to make life easier in our respective pursuits.

It is the same for me as some items in the black powder area of my hobby don't sell enough to warrant keeping them for sale locally and now understandably, the overseas seller does not wish to collect tax for a for a non US government.

Any further non-gunsmithing comments will need to be placed in the off-topic forum section.

Grahame