PDA

View Full Version : Reloading tool?

Boringgeoff
10th Jul 2017, 11:24 PM
Hi all,
This tool belongs to a friend of mine, he thinks it is a cartridge reloading tool, perhaps for a .410. If so could someone explain how it works please?
Cheers,
Geoff.

NedsHead
10th Jul 2017, 11:30 PM
Shot shell crimping tool, https://youtu.be/U-wve8IPA9s?t=9m26s

Edit: to elaborate, it's for roll crimping shells, looks to be 12 gauge,

that video might not be a great example (I haven't watched it)

(https://youtu.be/U-wve8IPA9s?t=9m26s)

KBs PensNmore
11th Jul 2017, 12:05 AM
Ned is partly correct, in that it's for shot gun cartridges, not so much for crimping but for rolling the tops, usually on cardboard cartridges. Hard to tell what gauge it would be, anything from 20 - 12 gauge.
Kryn

Boringgeoff
11th Jul 2017, 10:45 AM
Thanks Ned and Kryn,
I'll pass that info on. It looks like it's had a lot of use in its time as all the joints are quite worn.
Cheers,
Geoff.

Retromilling
11th Jul 2017, 12:59 PM
Ned is fully correct it is a shot shell roll crimper . That was what they called the operation in those days , roll crimping because the end of the case was folded over onto an over shot wad crimping it in place . The joints are probably not worn they are all loose like that .
I bet it still works fine. They were made for paper hulls but they still work fine on plastic hulls after the star crimp is cut off squarely .
If the case rolling head has a small bump inside the concave area it is a good one and will start the roll easier . If there is no bump and just a concave groove all around it will start harder .

Boringgeoff
12th Jul 2017, 11:19 AM
The rotating part, that I guess is the roller, appears to be made of brass and has a small raised bump in the centre. There are three ramps in the bottom of the groove around the bump. The size of the tool appears to be about right for a 410, though I haven't seen one for a very long time now.
Thanks.
Cheers,
Geoff.

Retromilling
12th Jul 2017, 01:15 PM
Sounds like a good one . Without some scale I can't tell what gauge it may be or in the case of a 410 bore that is a calibre .

Boringgeoff
14th Jul 2017, 10:21 AM
Thanks Retro, the bore of the tool where the cartridge slides in is a tad under .5 inch so I was guessing 410 and we had a 410 pistol on the farm in NZ when I was a kid. I should build up a cardboard cylinder and see if it works.
Cheers,
Geoff.

Retromilling
14th Jul 2017, 10:58 AM
It's a family heirloom then , sweet .