PDA

View Full Version : trailer plans

smeds
19th Jul 2005, 04:02 PM
my poor old trailer floor has seen better days and needs replacing, but i am also thinkink of building a new one, either 6x4 or 7x4, has anyone got any plans out there, also how would one go out of aluminium plate.

Ashore
19th Jul 2005, 05:35 PM
Aluminium plate would be heavy not on the springs but on the hip pocket

I used cypress pine seconds floor boards , easy to install , wont rust, easier to sweep clean than checker plate, light , doesn't damage anything slid across them , cheep, etc
Trailor lived in the open and only replaced them once after 16 years.

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

bsrlee
19th Jul 2005, 07:51 PM
Mate of mine has an all ally trailer, purchased Airforce surplus (figures). It is excellent, specially the load capacity. Also has very high ground clearance like a 4WD.

He has the inside sprayed with a special texturing epoxy to protect the panelling - the only worry with it is dropping something heavy & pointy that will punch thru' the floor.

Grahame Collins
19th Jul 2005, 07:51 PM
I think you will find if you intend to completely build a new trailer it will need to conform to an increasing number of Australian standards before it hits the bitumen. No standards compliance -no rego.
If you are the constructor you shall be required to fix a plate to it giving your name and contact details. Check out any new commercially built trailer to see what I mean. If you build it your name and liability is on the line for the life of the trailer.
A more viable option may be to bite the bullet and replace the floor. If it is still registered it should not need inspection. Having said that it not a bad idea to go over the rest of it for general condition.Some trailers are really road hazards.

If I needed a new one I don't think I could go past a new hot dipped galvanised jobby, but thats only cos i got too many other projects on, but thats just me.

Grahame

knucklehead
19th Jul 2005, 08:08 PM
The fella next door replaced the floor on his trailer with a single sheet of ally. He glued it in, so no screw or welds to rust out. Its great.
The trailer can be full of dirt swept out and its ready to go camping. My trailer has a checker plate floor. The checker plate profile ensures that dirts and water are always trapped somewhere. The thing is designed to rust. I hate it!
Its a new ally floor for me, when it finaly gives up the ghost.

zathras
19th Jul 2005, 08:35 PM
If you are the constructor you shall be required to fix a plate to it giving your name and contact details. Check out any new commercially built trailer to see what I mean. If you build it your name and liability is on the line for the life of the trailer.

Grahame

No, this is NOT the case, well not in Victoria anyway.

I built my own trailer last year, and for the Compliance plate, all that is required for the manufacturer name is "H-MADE" for home made.

You do however need to provide proof of purchase of the raw materials used to construct the trailer. No invoices - no proof of ownership - no rego.

You need to get it weighed before getting the rego, and you also need to call Vicroads the day before to get a VIN number, which also must be stamped into the plate along with "H-MADE".

Not at any time was the name of the person who constructed the trailer requested.

It was all very stressful before the event, but all went well at inspection.
I suppose if it looks like a crap job it could be a different story though...

Get your self a copy of VSB-1 (vehicle standards bulletin) and read it well. (http://www.dotrs.gov.au/transreg/vsb/index.aspx)
This is pretty much the bible to ensure compliance.

journeyman Mick
19th Jul 2005, 11:49 PM
Smeds.
I built a trailer out of gal steel and used cold gal paint on all the welds. It has lived outside for over 5 years now and everything is still fine, including the sheet of 15mm hardwood ply that I glued in as the floor. Aluminium is not the wonderful material that a lot of people think it is. Sure, it doesn't rust but it's prone to fatigueing and stress cracks, it's soft enough that the floor will stretch and get waves in it and it's quite expensive. If you want to build a new one I'd recommend gal steel.

Mick

Grahame Collins
19th Jul 2005, 11:50 PM
Thie circumstances I described prevailed in Queensland a decade or so ago. I believe there was a spate of home built trailer accidents. There were trailer accidents caused by amatuer welders welding across the trailer drawbar and as the trailer flexed a crack devoploped and failure occurred .

There were enough accidents to warrant the transport department looking very hard at home builders. I built a tandem trailer based on a wrecked caravan chassis and the hoops the department put the thing through were something else. It sailed through inspection anyway because we took no shortcuts.
T assumed wrongly from that point, that the rules forthe home trailer builder would only get tougher.

My apologies for mis informing the contributor but safety comes first in my fabrication efforts Always.
Grahame

BrentonSpear
22nd May 2007, 12:05 AM
Thought I would bring an old thread back to life :)

Is this the standard I should be building my trailer against in Victoria:

http://www.dotars.gov.au/roads/safety/bulletin/vsb1/vsb_01_b.aspx

My 8' X 4' 6" trailer already has a compliance plate and registration. If I moidfy it to be wider and longer do I need to get it complianced again?

I am looking at making it 10' x 6'.

Brenton

DJ’s Timber
22nd May 2007, 11:04 AM
You would need to notify Vicroads on that as it would be modified from the original, anything that has been made longer or wider has to re-inspected.

If the original compliance plate is a manufucters plates, that one will no longer be legal.

You will also have to get it re-weighted and will probably need to look at getting the springs upgraded as well.

I would reckon it would be cheaper to sell the smaller one and buy another one in the right size.

rat52
22nd May 2007, 12:08 PM
I don't know how the rules in states stand after 20yrs but I built mine from a kit and beefed it up with a longer draw bar and extra steel under to eliminate the wavy base syndrome.

I also placed the checker plate smooth side up. Much easier to shovel and sweep.

BrentonSpear
22nd May 2007, 08:56 PM
So what is involved in getting the trailer re-registered as a new size and possibly weight? What is the cost?

The trailer is rated at 750KG currently and will not carry anymore weight than this once I have built it.

How is the Gross Trailer Mass weight on the wheels of the trailer calculated?

DJ’s Timber
22nd May 2007, 09:09 PM
The GTM is the weight of the load and the trailer combined, so if your trailer weights 300KG which also includes the rims and tyres, you can only carry 450KG.

Anything over this weight must have brakes fitted to the trailer.

As for getting the trailer re-registered and cost, you would be best to enquire at Vicroads or go to a trailer manufacturer

BrentonSpear
22nd May 2007, 09:11 PM
Thanks DJ.

BrentonSpear
22nd May 2007, 09:18 PM
Actually, I just checked the trailer and it has a GTM of 1250KG.

BrentonSpear
22nd May 2007, 09:26 PM
And for anyone interested I found the details at VicRoads website:

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/TrailersCaravans/Registration/

$32.60 to get the appointment and inspection of the trailer.

It seems though that since I have a compliance plate already on the trailer and it is still reigstered, as long as the GTM stays within the limit shown on the plate, I dont think I have to get it inspected.

echnidna
22nd May 2007, 09:40 PM
You can provide your own VIN number, I did it a few years ago

I used my ute rego number with my initials added at the end.

I just ran beads of weld to form the numbers so I didn't have to go and buy a set of metal punches

SWMBO actually registered it and I gave her a receipt for the trailer as proof of ownership which vicroads accepted.

I didn't have to provide a compliance plate but I would have made one out of a bit of light ally if I had needed to.

DJ’s Timber
22nd May 2007, 09:40 PM
Part of the inspection includes measuring the size of the trailer, so you would need to notify Vicroads if you widen or lengthen the trailer

Leon
22nd May 2007, 09:43 PM
My son is in the trailer building trade. It is certainly better to stay within the law as far as specifications are concerned. If you don't know, ask.

Kyle
30th May 2007, 02:37 PM
Hey guys,
I’m just about to start building a fire fighting trailer for my in-laws property. I’m using 75 X 50 X 3mm gal RHS for the chassis and drawbar, with a 1000 litre water tank (yes one of those plastic tanks in the metal cage) and a Honda fire pump mounted on the drawbar. I know 1000 litres won’t last long with the pump going at full tilt, but it means the pump is always set up and can be moved between the 3 dams on the property. I’m planning on using a complete diff set-up out of a Falcon Ute. springs, wheels, brakes, everything. Reason is I already have the diff, the springs are 1 tonne rated and a complete hub to hub hydraulic brake setup for a trailer costs around $600. Yes the trailer will need brakes, as the property is steep where the dams are.

My question. Can you register a trailer in Victoria that has a car diff? While it will mainly never leave the property, it would be handy to have the freedom of road reg. I asked someone at Vicroads a while ago but they told me to speak to an automotive engineer. Can anyone help us?

Yonnee
5th Jul 2007, 01:06 AM
My question. Can you register a trailer in Victoria that has a car diff? While it will mainly never leave the property, it would be handy to have the freedom of road reg. I asked someone at Vicroads a while ago but they told me to speak to an automotive engineer. Can anyone help us?

This is my background and now hobby.:D

Short answer, Yes you can use the ute axle.:2tsup:

Get yourself a copy of the Vehicle Standards Bulletin #1 for building small trailers. They are a National Code for building any trailer up to 4500kg. It's then up to the person behind the registering authorities counter how they interpret those rules, but if it's built right, then you won't have a problem. As was said before, if it looks like rubbish, don't expect them to let it pass.:no:

As for modifying an existing trailer, I don't know about other states, but Vicroads will usually tell you any modification requires an engineers certificate. :doh: They even wanted one for a trailer we replaced the 750kg lazy axle with a 1250kg braked one. :? The trailer was a factory built one that was no different from one that could have had the heavier axle to begin with. But Vicroads (well this particular officer) were insistant that I could not just have them adjust their records to state the trailer could now carry 1250kg. We eventually got around the problem, without the certificate, and the customer went away happy with his 1250kg registered trailer.:2tsup:

If you're going to change the size of the trailer, then it would be easier to use the existing trailer as "donor parts" and present a new trailer for rego in its larger size.

You can provide your own VIN number, I did it a few years ago
I used my ute rego number with my initials added at the end.
I just ran beads of weld to form the numbers so I didn't have to go and buy a set of metal punches
SWMBO actually registered it and I gave her a receipt for the trailer as proof of ownership which vicroads accepted.
I didn't have to provide a compliance plate but I would have made one out of a bit of light ally if I had needed to.

Technically, all trailers built after 1986 (I think from memory) require an official 17 digit international V.I.N. number, stamped on a proper I.D. tag. If the trailer was built before then, you can basically pick your own number or the rego office will allocate you one, and you just stamp/weld it onto the frame. But in any case, you have to be prepared to put your name to the manufacture of the trailer. Even "H-MADE" on the tag, you still have to fill out the rego form.

HOWEVER, in general, if you're not confident in your own skills to fabricate or modify a trailer, please re-think it!! I would not like to meet your drawbar-less trailer full of firewood head-on at 100km/h, nor would you want that responsibility.:no:

Hope this has helped.

Yonnee.

yogie
5th Jul 2007, 09:37 PM
No, this is NOT the case, well not in Victoria anyway.

I built my own trailer last year, and for the Compliance plate, all that is required for the manufacturer name is "H-MADE" for home made.

You do however need to provide proof of purchase of the raw materials used to construct the trailer. No invoices - no proof of ownership - no rego.

You need to get it weighed before getting the rego, and you also need to call Vicroads the day before to get a VIN number, which also must be stamped into the plate along with "H-MADE".

Not at any time was the name of the person who constructed the trailer requested.

It was all very stressful before the event, but all went well at inspection.
I suppose if it looks like a crap job it could be a different story though...

Get your self a copy of VSB-1 (vehicle standards bulletin) and read it well. (http://www.dotrs.gov.au/transreg/vsb/index.aspx)
This is pretty much the bible to ensure compliance.

Spot on chap, even easier in Vic is get your self a trailer pack, and go for it.

BrentonSpear
5th Jul 2007, 10:45 PM
Whats a trailer pack??

patty
5th Jul 2007, 11:09 PM
if ya can afford ally plate go for it i remember years back you could go to the local auto parts place and get books on trailers all the time which had plans but ya dont see em any more.. shock horror i went to my local library the other day and they have building and auto books so ya might just jag a book at ya local library its worth a start!

patty
5th Jul 2007, 11:43 PM
yeah i know what ya saying i had the same thing bought a trailer years back 8x5 tandem axle didn't have rego paid $100 bucks it was a wreck practically rebuilt the skin and foor was completley rusted out then the bloody hoops the RTA put me through to get it regoed first it was a trip to the weigh station to get the weigh slip then had to take it to an authorised motor mehanic vehicle inspector he did the same went over it got the compliance plate HMADE and the rego first up cost me round $200 bucks for a trailer what a joke and everyyear after that is costs me $170 bucks and has to be inspected every year because it weighs over 700 kg I will be giving her a spray job soon and getting rid of it as it cost me too much money anyone want to buy a trailer

journeyman Mick
6th Jul 2007, 12:08 AM
..............getting rid of it as it cost me too much money anyone want to buy a trailer

Will you deliver?:D

Mick

patty
6th Jul 2007, 12:13 AM
sorry mick not to north Queensalnd mate wouldnt mind going up their it would be warmer up that way than what it is here at the moment

yogie
8th Jul 2007, 05:21 PM
Whats a trailer pack??

Go to any vic roads office and ask for a trailer pack, fill it out, have the right paper work and your done, dont even need to take the trailer in to vicroads, I've done two like that

Yonnee
9th Jul 2007, 09:18 PM
...the rego first up cost me round $200 bucks for a trailer what a joke and everyyear after that is costs me $170 bucks and has to be inspected every year because it weighs over 700 kg...

I wonder how many trailers stay registered in NSW because of thier ridiculous fee structure!! It's cheaper for New South Welsh people to register a motorbike they use 365 days a year than a trailer you'd use between once a month to hardly ever.:no:

Down here we pay $35 a year for any trailer under 4500Kg GVM, and once it's registered, No inspections!!:2tsup: Gotta love Vicroads for some things!

Wood Butcher
9th Jul 2007, 10:22 PM
Down here we pay $35 a year for any trailer under 4500Kg GVM, and once it's registered, No inspections!!:2tsup: Gotta love Vicroads for some things!

In Qld the yearly rego for a box trailer is not much more, but I can go one better.

When the old boy took the trailer that I made him in to get registered the clerk asked if it complied with the VSB. Dad replied "Yes", and the clerk said good and finished off the paperwork. The only time that she saw the trailer is when she looked out the window to see the trailer parked 20 metres away.:oo:

patty
9th Jul 2007, 11:09 PM
yeah Well thats NSW for ya, the most over Taxed state in all of Australia!
And all they want is more,

Nearly had enough

Bob38S
10th Jul 2007, 10:16 AM
Bought my trailer in 1976 - zinc anneal floor and bits.

Went to the local floor covering place and bought [quite expensive at the time] some commercial lino flooring called Rhino floor - quite thick. This has had 1000's of shovel scrapes as well as broken rock/bricks etc over it - easy to sweep out or has at times been used to pull out loads of green waste - during the mid 80's it also got a little dry up here and the lino sat under a tank and used as a water carter which was daily for longer than I care to remember.

The floor of the trailer is fine - some of the original paint rubbed off and a few dents but no rust - when finished pull out the lino - hose off, let dry and then put it back in. I aslo use my trailer [with a frame inside to support the middle] with a top on it as a setting out table.

Chris Parks
10th Jul 2007, 06:36 PM
The floor on Dad's trailer rusted so he wandered up to the local scrap metal joint and had a scout around to see what they had. He came back with a single sheet of about 12mm ply that had aluminium sheet bonded to both sides of it. I would like to know who made it as it was a great trailer floor.