PDA

View Full Version : Penrith District Home Machinists

electrosteam
9th May 2015, 09:45 AM
Hi all,
The PDHM are a group of metal workers that get together for lunch on the second Tuesday of the month at a registered club close to Penrith, Sydney.
We generally get about 10 attendees.

Retired machinists, TAFE teachers, TAFE students and interested guys.
Applications cover general machining, vintage cars, steam boats, vintage machinery and steam railways.

If you are interested in joining a like-minded group of easy-going guys who do socialize in addition to the lunches, please PM me for details for this Tuesday, 12May.

John

electrosteam
13th May 2015, 09:07 AM
Lunch yesterday was attended by 12 enthusiasts with discussions including:
- forthcoming purchase of material for a steam loco,
- imminent champagne launching of a steam launch,
- cost of rent/buy gas cylinders,
- recent purchase of a sensitive drill press,
- moaning about having a very full workshop program but always for someone else,
- progress in the additive machining field,
- devious ways to improve drill chuck TIR,
- endless Australian industry investment being disposed of at auctions,
- poor advice to a novice from an industrial supplier on suitability of welding equipment for TIG,
- methods to improve drill chuck retention in the spindle taper,
- commencement of an indoor N gauge railway for the winter months,
- bragging about jobs completed on a new large lathe,
- methods to ensure drills are sharpened correctly,
- various applications of centre drills, 120 degree spotting drills and 90 degree spotting drills,
- the clearance sizes necessary to enable the use of commercial counterbore bits,
- recent addition of a clamping table to a bandsaw for small jobs,
- etc with several discussions running in parallel during the 2 hour meal.

We meet again on the second Tuesday in June, the 9th.
John.

electrosteam
2nd Jun 2015, 09:34 AM
Just a reminder that the June lunch will be next week, Tuesday the 9th.
John

OldRustyToolie
3rd Jun 2015, 07:44 PM
Just a reminder that the June lunch will be next week, Tuesday the 9th.
John

Will try and get there this month (finally!!!) John. Will call Steve to get details.

DH, Nth Richmond

OldRustyToolie
22nd Jun 2015, 07:04 PM
The rest of them must be locked in the shed and too busy to check in here John!

DH

welder
23rd Jun 2015, 05:57 AM
If you blocks do anything over a weekend I would come and pick your brains :U

electrosteam
8th Jul 2015, 06:59 PM
The July lunch will be in St Marys on Tuesday the 14th.
All welcome, PM me for details.

John.

electrosteam
5th Aug 2015, 09:08 AM
Well its August, so lunch in Penrith on Tuesday 11th.
John

OldRustyToolie
7th Aug 2015, 10:10 PM
Well its August, so lunch in Penrith on Tuesday 11th.
John

Ready for more "metal cutting" John!! See you there.

DH

electrosteam
2nd Sep 2015, 11:19 AM
The September lunch will be on Tuesday the 8th at noon in St Marys.
John

electrosteam
7th Oct 2015, 09:24 AM
Lunch for October will be this Tuesday, the 13th, at 1200 h in the Penrith RSL buffet.
John

electrosteam
7th Dec 2015, 05:02 PM
Lunch in November was at the St Marys Leagues Club with about 12 attendees.
The December lunch will be at the Penrith RSL buffet at 1200 h tomorrow, 8Dec15.
John

electrosteam
9th Jan 2016, 07:35 AM
The December lunch was well supported with another local guy joining the group.
The January lunch will be at St Marys Leagues Club on Tuesday the 12th at 1200 h, meeting in the foyer and then lunching in the buffet.
John.

electrosteam
29th Jan 2016, 05:29 PM
Lunch in January was attended by 17 people, including one new machinist.

The February lunch will be on Tuesday the 9th February at the Penrith RSL at 1200 h.

This notice is a little early because Corin has suggested that we have a combined evening dinner with the 'Knifemakers and blacksmiths meet and greet' on Tuesday 16th February - see the parallel thread with the same title.

Recently, I met with a few working guys from the Kingswood/Werrington area that are all model live steam engineers at the The Henry Lawson club in Werrington for an evening meal, so an evening get-together as suggested by Corin could be a perfect match.

I will inform all the chaps on my contact list and discuss the details at our lunch.

John.

OldRustyToolie
10th Feb 2016, 03:14 PM
What a great Feb. catch-up John. Over the years in your work you meet some great people and then wonder where they are today. What a surprise to meet with Phil B from Faulconbridge yesterday. Another friendly face we always looked forward to having during the 90s at Meadowbank TAFE.

Corin
27th Feb 2016, 12:59 PM
Hi Guys, Thanks for coming last week it was a real pleasure to meet you guys and I look forward to seeing you guys again soon, hopefully someplace with you trains!

Here is the link I mentioned showing some uses for the 123 blocks.

http://rick.sparber.org/123.pdf

radial1951
27th Feb 2016, 03:26 PM
Hi Guys, Thanks for coming last week it was a real pleasure to meet you guys and I look forward to seeing you guys again soon, hopefully someplace with you trains!

Here is the link I mentioned showing some uses for the 123 blocks.

http://rick.sparber.org/123.pdf

Well, I was going to buy a set of those 123 Blocks last year on eBay, but wasn't really convinced regarding their usefulness. Until now.

They seem to be very popular in the US, but I cannot recall seeing them used here, or mentioned in TAFE. Maybe I just didn't notice them...

Does anyone know of a supplier here in Oz?

Gee, a LOT of other interesting stuff on that website. Just shows how useful the net and forums are. Thanks for that, Corin.

Regards, Ross.

Corin
3rd Mar 2016, 01:01 PM
Well, I was going to buy a set of those 123 Blocks last year on eBay, but wasn't really convinced regarding their usefulness. Until now.

They seem to be very popular in the US, but I cannot recall seeing them used here, or mentioned in TAFE. Maybe I just didn't notice them...

Does anyone know of a supplier here in Oz?

Gee, a LOT of other interesting stuff on that website. Just shows how useful the net and forums are. Thanks for that, Corin.

Regards, Ross.

Gameco Sell them in Australia: 123 Blocks - Artisan Supplies (http://www.artisansupplies.com.au/product/123-blocks/)

electrosteam
4th Mar 2016, 04:53 PM
Corin thanks for the comments.
Good company and an interesting evening, I am sure some of our lunch crowd will be participating in the next one.

Lunch on Tuesday 8th March will be at St Marys Leagues Club, 1200 h in the foyer.
All welcome.

John.

radial1951
17th Mar 2016, 06:37 AM
Gameco Sell them in Australia: 123 Blocks - Artisan Supplies (http://www.artisansupplies.com.au/product/123-blocks/)

Well, I bought 2 sets of those 123 Blocks and I must say they are very nicely made and packaged. I had them within 2 days of placing the order, great service.

Having two sets will give the obvious uses of 4 blocks of identical dimensions, plus the ability to bolt them together in a myriad combination of pairs, angle plates etc. And they are made with the correct counterbored holes to allow the screws to sit below the external surface of the blocks when bolting them together. None of the blocks I have seen on eBay have this excellent feature.

I think these blocks, and the parallels I also bought, will be very useful additions to my workshop tooling. I reckon they are a bargain. Corin, thanks again for the info.

Regards, Ross.

electrosteam
8th Apr 2016, 09:00 AM
The April lunch is next Tuesday, the 12th at Penrith RSL.
John

electrosteam
6th May 2016, 10:20 AM
Lunch for May is next Tuesday, the 10th, at St Marys Leagues Club for 1200 h.
John

electrosteam
9th Jun 2016, 10:19 AM
Lunch for June is next Tuesday, 14th June, at Penrith RSL club for 1200 h.

A couple of our members joined with the Bundanoon Mechanics Institute at one of their monthly lunches recently in outer SW Sydney.
Another good discussion on all things metal, and non-metal.
I will try to get them to join us at one of our lunches.

John.

electrosteam
9th Jul 2016, 08:40 AM
The July lunch is Tuesday 12th at St Marys Leagues Club.
John

electrosteam
4th Aug 2016, 08:07 PM
Lunch for August will be this Tuesday, the 9th, at the Penrith RSL Club in the buffet.
Meet in the bar near the buffet entrance at 1200 h.
John

electrosteam
6th Sep 2016, 09:46 PM
The September lunch will be 1200 h on Tuesday 13th at St Marys Leagues Club.
Meet in the foyer (to the left as you enter), then in the buffet.
John

electrosteam
7th Oct 2016, 04:29 PM
October will celebrated with lunch this Tuesday (11th) at the Penrith RSL buffet for 1200 h.
John.

electrosteam
2nd Nov 2016, 02:21 PM
The lunch for November will be this Tuesday, the 8th, at the St Marys Leagues Club.
Meet in foyer at 1200 h, with move to buffet about 1230 h.
John

electrosteam
7th Dec 2016, 07:49 PM
Lunch for December is at the Penrith RSL this Tuesday, 13Dec16.
See you there,
John

electrosteam
3rd Jan 2017, 07:32 PM
Happy New Year to all, the January lunch will be next week, Tuesday the 10th, at St Marys Leagues Club.
John.

electrosteam
10th Feb 2017, 07:17 AM
February lunch is at Penrith RSL is this Tuesday, 14th February.

A reminder that the Bundanoon Mechanics Institute get together monthly, nice group of guys.

John.

electrosteam
8th Mar 2017, 07:23 AM
All invited to the March lunch at St Marys Leagues Club this coming Tuesday, the 14th.
Meet in foyer at 1200 h, move to buffet at 1230 h.
John.

electrosteam
5th Apr 2017, 06:14 PM
The April lunch is Tuesday 11th at Penrith RSL.
Usual timing, 1200 h in the bar nearby, move to the buffet at 1230 h.
A great social occasion until we are politely requested to vacate the buffet at about 1415 h.

You don't have to be currently working metal to fit in.
Some of our participants are retired from some aspect of metalworking, some are ex-students from TAFE and some just have the interest.
For some, metalworking is not the hobby, just a necessity to support their main interest in trains, planes or automobiles.

I can recommend the food and an attractive price.

John

electrosteam
3rd May 2017, 04:36 PM
Looking forward to seeing the guys at St Marys L.C. this Tuesday, 9th May.
John

electrosteam
8th Jun 2017, 11:48 AM
This Tuesday, 13th June, at Penrith RSL.

A couple of members from the Men's Shed may join us.
John.

pipeclay
12th Jun 2017, 04:46 PM
Hello John, I might be able to make Tuesday, what time does it start and if required can someone sign me in if I fall in the 5 kms radius,Peter.

electrosteam
12th Jun 2017, 06:28 PM
Peter,
It would be great to see you.
Scheduled time is 1200 h in the bar nearest the buffet, up the stairs from the desk.
I can sign you in if you contravene the visitor distance restriction.
I will notify the desk of possible visitors and leave my name with them.
PM sent with my contact details, call me if you can make it.
John.

electrosteam
7th Jul 2017, 12:28 PM
Great, Peter was able to participate at the June lunch, hope to see other forum members take the plunge.
July lunch is this Tuesday, the 11th, at St Marys Leagues Club for 1200 h.
John.

electrosteam
2nd Aug 2017, 09:05 AM
The friendly surrounds of the Penrith RSL are the location of the August lunch, this coming Tuesday, the 8th.
See you there,
John.

electrosteam
13th Nov 2017, 06:41 AM
Tomorrow at St Marys Leagues Club is the November lunch.
Any show-and-tell is always good.
See you there,
John.

electrosteam
7th Dec 2017, 09:22 PM
December lunch is at Penrith RSL this Tuesday, 12Dec.
Meet in the bar outside the buffet at 12:00 noon.
John

electrosteam
6th Feb 2018, 10:01 PM
I missed the January lunch, but I hope to see all at Penrith RSL the coming Tuesday, 13Feb18.
John

electrosteam
8th Mar 2018, 07:37 AM
The March lunch is this coming Tuesday, the 13th, at St Marys L.C.
We have discussed with the Bundanoon Mechanics Institute a possible combined lunch, and June at the Penrith RSL looks the most promising.
John

electrosteam
4th Apr 2018, 09:21 AM
Lunch this coming Tuesday, 10th April, will be at Penrith RSL.
John

electrosteam
1st May 2018, 07:26 PM
Lunch will be at St Marys L.C. next Tuesday, 8th May at 1200 h in the buffet, see you there.
John

electrosteam
7th Jun 2018, 04:30 PM
The June lunch is this coming Tuesday, the 11th at Penrith RSL, 1200 h in the buffet.
John

electrosteam
6th Dec 2018, 08:11 AM
Its been a bit busy of late, but we have had the regular monthly lunch since my last post.

December lunch for the PDHM will be the coming Tuesday, 11Dec18, at Penrith RSL buffet - all welcome.
Please PM me for introductions.

Then on the Wednesday, 12Dec18, the Bundanoon Mechanics Institute will be visiting the area.
Meet at my shed in the morning, then move to another shed in South Penrith to continue discussions and barbecue lunch.
Please PM for directions, and to enable catering.

John

electrosteam
3rd Jan 2019, 08:48 AM
The Bundanoon Mechanics Institute visit went very well, lots of deep meaningful discussions and swapping of ideas.
Plan to do it again later this year, with a promise that my Hunslet 5" gauge loco will be in steam.
Great sausages from Luddenham, crunchy rolls, coleslaw and home-made green salad satisfied all.
Even managed to clean up my shed (sort-of) for the visit.

The first lunch for 2019 will be at St Marys L.C. this Tuesday, 8Jan19.
John

achjimmy
7th Jan 2019, 07:01 PM
The Bundanoon Mechanics Institute visit went very well, lots of deep meaningful discussions and swapping of ideas.
Plan to do it again later this year, with a promise that my Hunslet 5" gauge loco will be in steam.
Great sausages from Luddenham, crunchy rolls, coleslaw and home-made green salad satisfied all.
Even managed to clean up my shed (sort-of) for the visit.

The first lunch for 2019 will be at St Marys L.C. this Tuesday, 8Jan19.
John

hi guys what’s the st Mary’s LC ? Thinking I Ishtar try and make one ?

pipeclay
7th Jan 2019, 11:02 PM
Leagues Club.

achjimmy
8th Jan 2019, 09:09 AM
Leagues Club.

Thanks whenyou type in st marys LC comes up with the swim centre lol

electrosteam
8th Feb 2019, 06:20 PM
February lunch will be this Tuesday, the12th, at Penrith RSL.
Last month archjimmy joined us and we welcome all to enjoy a convivial atmosphere discussing a wide variety of machining subjects.
John

electrosteam
11th Mar 2019, 07:58 AM
Lunch tomorrow at St Marys Leagues Club - see you there.
John

electrosteam
9th May 2019, 09:10 AM
The first lunch of the winter season will be this coming Tuesday, 14May, at St Marys L.C.
Nice selection of roasts and veges to warm the discussions.
All welcomed at 1200 h in the foyer, then the buffet.

See you there,
John.

electrosteam
6th Jul 2019, 12:37 PM
Our get-together this month is Tuesday 9Jul19 at St Marys L.C.

My attendance is subject to being sufficiently recovered (ie not infectious) from a good dose of cold/flu acquired last week during a visit to Adelaide (to see "The Book of Mormon").

Hope to see you there,
John

electrosteam
7th Aug 2019, 06:06 PM
August lunch is at Penrith RSL, 1200 h in the buffet, all welcome.

I will have some parts from my CNC mill ballscrew to show.

John.

electrosteam
5th Jun 2021, 07:17 PM
We have all had quality time in our workshops for the last year.
Now is the time to get together for "show & tell", to chew the fat and to get back to a more normal routine.
Last month was at my house, but now time to venture out.

As Penrith RSL and St Marys L.C. buffets are closed Monday and Tuesday, the coming lunch is scheduled for the Henry Lawson Club in Werrington, Tuesday 8th June at 1200 h.
Menu is a la carte with a good range of typical club food.
One subject to be discussed is whether to change the regular arrangement, 2nd Tuesday of month at a buffet, to something else.

All welcomed.
Interests are varied - metalwork, building trains, cars, boats or just an interest.

If you would like to attend, PM with a phone number and I will call you.

Keep well,
John.

electrosteam
2nd Dec 2021, 01:11 PM
Well, more quality time in the workshop !

The December lunch will be Tuesday 14Dec21 at the Henry Lawson Club in Werrington.
No buffet, but they have a reasonable menu.

Club rule is you must be double vaxed.

If the weather is good, we may be outside.

Visitors always welcome.
PM me for my mobile number if you intend participating.

Keep well,
John.

electrosteam
26th Dec 2021, 02:15 PM
The December lunch had 11 participants, seated outside in the barbecue area of the club.
Splendid isolation and virtually no background noise (important for those with hearing aids).
All participants said the food was Ok.

Two show-and-tell items:
- an amazing clock with re-cycled plastic gears (milk bottles) and intricately engraved brass decorations,
we all wonder what sort of pills the builder is on !
- new crankshaft for a two-cylinder steam launch,
anguish by the loco modellers present when they realized the 'quartering' was actually 180 degrees !
apparently much better balance and the boat crew will have easy access to the flywheel to assist the starting.

As the Penrith RSL still has its buffet closed on Tuesdays, and with a couple of reports of unsatisfactory food at the St Marys Leagues Club, we agreed to meet again at the Henry Lawson Club for lunch on Tuesday 11th January.

With the growth in Covid cases, I am of the opinion we miss the January date.
I will email the PDHM members closer to the date to get their opinions.

Keep well,
John.

Edit: I think I managed the 'thumb down' tag - don't know how to remove it.

electrosteam
2nd Mar 2022, 09:33 AM
I elected to avoid clubs during January.
But a few brave souls did participate in the January lunch.

In February I was cajoled into participating at the last minute and we numbered 7.

The March lunch is this coming Tuesday, 8Mar22, at the Henry Lawson Club in Werrington.
All are invited, contact me prior if you need directions.
Weather permitting, we will be in the outside courtyard.
We expect some members will be flood affected, and/or reluctant to drive in heavy rain with road flood/close issues.
Last time I checked, vaccinations are required for club entry.

I expect April will be somewhere else, hopefully in a club buffet (I like the sushi in the Penrith RSL).

Keep well,
John.

electrosteam
11th Apr 2022, 06:24 PM
In spite of the worrying Covid numbers, a few locals will be at the Henry Lawson Club in Werrington at 1200 h for lunch tomorrow, 12Apr22.
All are welcomed but I am not encouraging anyone to travel if it would be a first visit,

Keep well out there,
John.

electrosteam
5th May 2022, 01:59 PM
Members of the Penrith District Home Machinist group will be gathering on Tuesday 10May22 at the Henry Lawson Club in Werrington for our monthly lunch.
All welcome, we start at 12:00 noon, but several arrive from 11:30 am.
Outside in the terrace if the weather allows.

Keep well,
John.

electrosteam
8th Jun 2022, 02:30 PM
Penrith Districts Home Machinists will be lunching at the Henry Lawson Club, Werrington, this Tuesday, 14Jun22.
I will be there at 1130 h, outside on the terrace if the weather permits.
Menu is good average club fare.
A great bunch of guys discussing metalwork, and other associated subjects.
Show and Tell often features.
All welcomed.

Keep well,
John.

electrosteam
5th Aug 2022, 11:54 AM
The August lunch will be at The Henry Lawson Club, Werrington, this Tuesday the 9th August.

I have ordered Bread-and-Butter-Pudding for the regular participants, and there may be a few serves spare.

All welcomed,
Keep well,
John.

electrosteam
7th Sep 2022, 09:32 AM
A reminder that lunch in September is this Tuesday, the 13th, at the Henry Lawson Club in Werrington.
All welcomed, don't be shy, we are a social group with discussion on a myriad of subjects.

The bread-and-butter pudding last month was only 5/10, the search continues.

One avenue is the Penrith RSL buffet, we haven't been there for a while.
I plan to lunch there tomorrow with my wife to see how Covid has affected food service in the buffet (now 7 days per week).
And to check out the bread-and-butter pudding.:U

Keep well,
John.

electrosteam
6th Nov 2022, 09:16 AM
Lunch in October was enjoyed outdoors under the trees adjacent to the workshop of a PDHM member.
The host is a prodigious clock maker and currently re-furbishing (rebuild actually) an old English lathe.

For November, we will return to old haunts and meet in the buffet at the Penrith RSL Club.

I won't be there because of a medical appointment.

Keep well,
John.

electrosteam
7th Dec 2022, 09:26 AM
A few members in November partook of the offerings at the Penrith RSL Buffet.

Reports were that the food was typical mass-produced buffet, but the Bread-and-Butter Pudding was rated 10/10 !
In contrast, the B&BP provided at the October Lunch by the host member's wife was all agreed to be 11/10.

The consensus is that we should return to the Henry Lawson Club, Werrington, for next Tuesday, 13th December.
The a-la-carte menu is adequate and the quality quite good.
No B&BP, but we can live with that.

Outside on the terrace, weather and group bookings permitting.
I will be there about 11:30 am, with my pint of Guinness (once a month treat).

If you would like to attend, and unsure of location etc, contact me.
Or, just turn up and introduce yourself.

Keep well,
John.

nigelpearson
15th Dec 2022, 06:54 AM
Spotted on Tuesday, a nice wooden case for some old Zyto lathe accessories...
400920 400921 400922

electrosteam
8th Jan 2023, 11:59 AM
Nigel understates the box with 'nice', the chap responsible has done an amazing job.
I will ask him to write a short description and have it posted as a thread.

There were 16 guys lunching in December, nearly a record.

The January lunch will again be at the Henry Sports Club this Tuesday, 10Jan23.
I will be there at 1130 h with my pint of Guiness :).

John.

electrosteam
11th Feb 2023, 11:46 AM
The February lunch will be this Tuesday, the 14th, at the Henry Lawson Club Werrington.
I am looking forward to the pint of Guinness I promise myself each lunch date.
I believe we will see more of the Zyto lathe components.

John.

electrosteam
6th Jun 2023, 06:17 PM
The June lunch will be this coming Tuesday, 13Jun23, at the Henry Lawson Club Werrington.

Anytime from 1100 h, and we normally order food at about 1230 h.
I normally arrive at 1130 h and sit with a pint of Guinness !

It is a small club with a limited menu, but everyone always finds something palatable.
Several of the group have commented to me in the past favorably about the food.
And the company is first-class.

Keep well,
John.

electrosteam
6th Aug 2023, 06:43 PM
The July lunch was at a group member's house with a good roll-up.
The host's endeavours in his modest workshop were astounding.

We meet again at the Henry Lawson Club, Werrington, this Tuesday 8Aug23.

The club is in the middle of extensive renovations but the manager has assured me that there will be no problems.

See you there,
John.