PDA

View Full Version : Excel Metal Lathe and a complaint or two regarding this sub-forum.

jmebgo
8th Oct 2014, 09:20 PM
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/caloundra/miscellaneous-goods/excel-metal-lathe/1058771356

I wish a small lathe like this would come up in Melbourne, it would make a nice restoration project.

There is another thing that has been bothering me lately, it may as well go in this post. I only bother putting up posts that I personally think are a good deal, solely to help fellow members or people viewing the site. I know of at least two members off-hand that have cheap shapers due to being alerted by ads I have put up in the old thread.

I preferred the old thread over this sub-forum, as I could subscribe, and have instant email updates. Thus, so could others. Despite my best efforts I haven't figured out how to do that, if it is at all possible for this sub-forum. I think I've tried to set it twice to email me once a day (a compromise), but that doesn't seem to happen. Gumtree et al. is getting more popular by the day, and twice at least I've called up regarding a lathe and it has been gone within an hour. So, I'm happy to keep putting up items I think are a good bargain, but unless people are being alerted to it straight away, for instance, a post alert instantly going to their email inbox, then I think that is less than useful. From what I've noticed a lot of people use the site via their smartphones and I'll assume they have their email set-up with their phone too. To be clear, I would personally like the old thread re-opened.

I think it would be helpful to hear other peoples opinions, as perhaps the majority prefer it one way or the other.

Regards,
Joe

matthew_g
9th Oct 2014, 12:38 PM
I agree, I personally much preffered the old thread and would like to see it re opened..

Matt

scottyd
9th Oct 2014, 06:44 PM
Im 100% in agreeance, I never remember to check this forum as much as I regularly checked that thread.

.RC.
9th Oct 2014, 09:34 PM
I agree, I could never understand why this sub-forum was needed.. Ye olde thread was great I thought..

kwijibo99
9th Oct 2014, 10:47 PM
+1 on re-opening the old thread.
When it was a sticky on the main page with everything in a single thread you could see what was going on at a glance.
Having to switch to a sub-forum then open individual posts is just a pain.

argeng
10th Oct 2014, 05:48 PM
Count me in for opening the old thread.
Bruce

Vernonv
10th Oct 2014, 06:17 PM
+1 for the old thread. Once subscribed, you could easily see if any news posts were added.

Ueee
11th Oct 2014, 07:10 PM
+1 for me too. Not sure why having it was a problem. Too hard to search? C'mon, really?

Ew

RayG
12th Oct 2014, 04:19 PM
I preferred the previous thread as well.... BUT... wasn't the idea that a seperate sub-forum could be blocked from viewing by non-members, whereas an individual thread couldn't ...

So, can you see this sub-forum if not logged in, is the burning question... and guess what, no, you don't need to be logged in to see this forum..

Ray

variant22
12th Oct 2014, 08:26 PM
wasn't the idea that a seperate sub-forum could be blocked from viewing by non-members, whereas an individual thread couldn't ...
That was my understanding as well.

Pete F
12th Oct 2014, 11:32 PM
Another vote for the old thread. A squillion sub-forums sounds like a great idea at the time ... until you have a squillion sub-forums! I must admit I've never seen another site with as many sub-forums as this one! The good thing about having topics clumped together is that sometimes you'll find yourself reading about a topic you normally wouldn't seek out. That can be a great thing.

I personally don't see the big deal as to whether somebody is a "member" of this forum or not. This is not some bizarre sect with secret handshakes. If somebody is really interested in the field they will most likely join, even if they don't post. If somebody doesn't join/log in they can't see many of the images, and, trust me from someone who travels constantly, that gets irritating very quickly! If another person benefits as a result of information posted, in this case tools and machinery for sale, whether they're a "member" or not, that's a good thing in my book.

jmebgo
14th Oct 2014, 10:11 AM
It looks like the Excel lathe sold.

Thank you all for your responses. Given that no-one disagreed with it being reopened, I have just contacted "ubeaut" to direct him to this thread and requested that the original thread be reopened. Now would be the time to chime in if you think it's a bad idea.

Joe