PDA

View Full Version : Mars lathe

Ueee
8th Jul 2014, 10:20 PM
Mars Junior Metal Lathe | eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261526891727&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:AU:3160)

The price has me a little speechless.....:o

Ew

jhovel
8th Jul 2014, 10:38 PM
It looks OK in the flesh. It is being sold by a forum member. I was under the impression it had been sold - that's why I never mentioned it here previously....

Ueee
9th Jul 2014, 12:45 AM
It could be fresh off the factory floor and i would not pay that. No offense to the seller, but where on earth did that figure come from?

Hutcho was asking $550 IIRC for his. I just sold mine for $500.

In general there are a lot of much better machines around for less at the moment too.

Ew

bwal74
9th Jul 2014, 07:14 AM
Hi,

There was one for sale in Nowra for about $550-600 that was owned by a forum member that he purchased a couple of years ago from a bloke in Manly (I was looking at it too) but it wasn't a badged as a Mars Junior. I can't find it now so must have been sold. The linked one seems a tat over priced. From a deceased estate, maybe a bit ambitious? They have a Herless VH Mill as well.

Ben

morrisman
9th Jul 2014, 01:17 PM
Mars Junior Metal Lathe | eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261526891727&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:AU:3160)

The price has me a little speechless.....:o

Ew

Its the fresh green paint Ewan.... that paint is so expensive :roll:

kwijibo99
10th Jul 2014, 03:58 PM
For what it's worth I knew the original owner of this lathe, and he was the only owner, he bought it new and that green is the original paint. This lathe is as good as brand new and should really be in a museum.

This bloke was the consummate old time machinist, the models he made are works of art and he lived for his craft. There are people who go on and on about precision this and tolerance that, but this fella walked the walk and could make small machine parts in his simple workshop with a fit and finish so smooth and perfect you could only wonder at his skill.

He was a fitter & turner at Thompsons Foundry in Castlemaine and there's a story that he used to get told off by his supervisors for spending too much time cleaning the lathe he worked on, such was his care and respect for machinery. He never owned a phone and only ever corresponded via written letter, despite this he ordered tools from around the world, a more patient and persistent bloke you will not find.

His workshop is an old fibro shed with a floor that is as much dirt as it is rough concrete, it was his only love in life and to know that it will never again know the artistry it has seen is kind of sad.

For the record I have no connection to the seller although I have met them. I guess I just wanted to highlight that sometimes, there is so much more to the story behind a piece of machinery than it's asking price and in this instance I happen to be in a position to pass on a very small part of it. Rest in peace Dave.
Cheers,
Greg.

Vernonv
11th Jul 2014, 09:24 AM
That's all well and good, however buyers generally won't pay for the sellers sentimentality or emotion connected to an item. The seller might get lucky and snag a "collector", but I'm not sure how collectable these Mars lathes are.

Best of luck to them.

Gammaboy
15th Jul 2014, 10:21 AM
Interesting to see the original paint on these Mars lathes though.... I really must get stuck into getting mine back up and running.

Woodyo
15th Mar 2017, 09:06 PM
Hi guys, sorry to post on an old thread. But im after a part for my mars great scot lathe. I need the bracket with the pulley see the blue rhs, its doing a terrible job.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170315/8a283b751fac28d0820a7f4e7dd0ac69.jpg

If anyone has or knows some how has one. Id really like to know.

Thanks guys!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk