PDA

View Full Version : eBay (and other auctions) Metalwork Stuff

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

ubeaut
13th Mar 2012, 09:07 PM
This will be an ongoing thread for anything to do with eBay and other auction sites.

Your ad in eBay
Ads seen on eBay
Purchased on eBay
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

Go for it..... :U

.RC.
13th Mar 2012, 09:12 PM
Well the metal planer in the other thread sold for $3000..... At that price it should go to a good home...

Seems there were only two bidders going by the bidding statistic..

xXvapourXx
13th Mar 2012, 09:15 PM
lovely little lathe :U

Nuttal & Herbert Electric Lathe 240v | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nuttal-Herbert-Electric-Lathe-240v-/260973052975?pt=AU_Hardware&hash=item3cc334c42f#ht_500wt_1413)

Cooper

welder
13th Mar 2012, 09:16 PM
I hope some one here got the planer :2tsup:

Bryan
13th Mar 2012, 09:16 PM
Did anyone happen to save pics of the planer? I tried but it's a pain on the mac.

Thanks ubeaut. :2tsup:

.RC.
13th Mar 2012, 09:22 PM

harty69
13th Mar 2012, 10:18 PM
Hi RC

did you put a bid on it
I thought about it but there was another item on ebay at the same time and I didnt have room for both

cheers
Harty

Anorak Bob
13th Mar 2012, 10:26 PM
I think Fred may have had a hand in the creation of this thread so thank you Ubeat and Fred.

Bob.

Bryan
13th Mar 2012, 10:58 PM
Thanks RC. They come up rarely enough that it seems worth recording. With any luck the new owner will bob up here. Then we can all send him our camelbacks. :D

.RC.
14th Mar 2012, 07:04 AM
Hi RC

did you put a bid on it
I thought about it but there was another item on ebay at the same time and I didnt have room for both

cheers
Harty

Well..... Yes I was the losing bidder...I bid too high as the seller was pretty vague and the pictures were less then descriptive..

Log
14th Mar 2012, 10:49 PM
Well..... Yes I was the losing bidder...I bid too high as the seller was pretty vague and the pictures were less then descriptive..

Hi RC,
Hey sorry that you missed out, well you never know something maybe better and bigger will come up in the future. From what I've seen in your pics you have a fairly big shed so a bigger planer would be better for you:D. Bigger might be cheaper too as not many people would have the room.

Now ,,,, you know you nearly, very nearly, won that auction:U as my second bid almost didn't make it in time, my internet connection went into slow jo mode:C and the confirm bid page just sat there and sat there:rolleyes::doh: and I thought, oh well, won't get it, better luck next time. Long story finished:wink:; so twas me who won the auction:D:2tsup:. Maybe bit pricey but that's life, supply and demand I suppose; or machine addiction, support group needed?

Now how am I gonna fit it in, I'd better start shifting stuff around big time.

Cheers.

If I'm not right, then I'm wrong, I'll just go bend some more bananas.

.RC.
14th Mar 2012, 11:28 PM
that is ok. So long as it went to a good home I am happy..

I would be interested to see some photos of it when you get it home...And find out it's condition and whether it is hydraulic or gear driven..

wbleeker
15th Mar 2012, 08:39 AM
Yes the ebay description didn't give much information and the seller didn't reply to questions, which is why it's going to your shed and not mine:)
Will

PDW
15th Mar 2012, 09:12 AM
Yes the ebay description didn't give much information and the seller didn't reply to questions, which is why it's going to your shed and not mine:)
Will

Yes, that's why I didn't even bother bidding. Getting the basic dimensions was like pulling teeth and the weight estimate was frankly unbelievable. Given my current project list I thought I'd just leave this one to someone closer and/or more desperate. I'd prefer to find one closer to home and with a lot more 'style' to it.

PDW

eskimo
15th Mar 2012, 01:02 PM
I dont think I need any more

didnt see this the other day when I looked

Pallet Containing 2 X Vices & Various Other Large Machinery Tooling - Lot # 47 (http://www.evansclarke.com.au/detail.asp?id=384656)

its on a pallet with alot of other stuff.

CLOSES IN A COUPLE OF HOURS

azzrock
15th Mar 2012, 01:48 PM
i think the green vice is a Pratt and Burnard 2 speed

eskimo
15th Mar 2012, 01:51 PM
i think the green vice is a Pratt and Burnard 2 speed

what does that mean..its fast as a ferrari? :D

Bryan
15th Mar 2012, 01:58 PM
Damn. If I had spare cash I'd go for that and trade or sell what I didn't want. Well spotted. (Should this go in the ebay thread?)

.RC.
15th Mar 2012, 03:37 PM
The seller did reply to my question and gave me a phone number to contact him on... Which I did... It was his fathers and he knew nothing about it...

It could very well be in perfect condition.. What I would expect it to be in at least good condition... The photo's do not show the typical abuse you see on clapped out tools..

However sometimes you do end up with purchasing a lemon on ebay... Been there done that...

And sometimes you end with a fantastic bargain.... Like my slotter,,,

Stustoys
15th Mar 2012, 04:27 PM
If I hear one more "oh all the good stuff in is Melbourne" there is going to be trouble:p

Stuart

Bryan
15th Mar 2012, 04:33 PM
Ok then, 75 percent of the all the good stuff is in Melbourne. The rest is in Sydney or QLD. With a gem turning up here once in a blue moon. How's that? :)
PS: Perth? I think I've heard of that. In Africa isn't it?

RayG
15th Mar 2012, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the tip Eskimo... :2tsup: No I didn't buy anything, but I was sorely tempted by a few of the items...

It's stupid how they organize their auction lots, all the accessories seperated from the machines and loaded willy nilly onto pallets... :doh: All the change gears for the lathes in a seperate lot...

Any one here get that Holbrook?

Regards
Ray

Dave J
15th Mar 2012, 04:35 PM
What a shame the arbours etc have been split from there machines, typical auction.
Someone got a good deal for $290, now watch ebay, LOL

Dave

tea lady
15th Mar 2012, 04:36 PM
Ok then, 75 percent of the all the good stuff is in Melbourne. The rest is in Sydney or QLD. With a gem turning up here once in a blue moon. How's that? :)And all the good Jarrah in WA for some reason/:rolleyes::D

Machtool
15th Mar 2012, 05:15 PM
Your Tax paying dollars at work yet again. Typical lazy auctioneer, with no clue what they are looking at. They could have pulled that straight edge into a lot of its own and it would have went $150. They still would have got $290 for the pallet.
Phil.

Big Shed
15th Mar 2012, 05:35 PM
Damn. If I had spare cash I'd go for that and trade or sell what I didn't want. Well spotted. (Should this go in the ebay thread?)

Reckon it should have, but.......................:rolleyes:

Michael G
15th Mar 2012, 05:46 PM
Gee guys - I could have done without seeing that! I would have bought that lot just for a vice alone (and goodies for all the good little children as well).

Depressed,
Michael

Stustoys
15th Mar 2012, 05:57 PM
Ok then, 75 percent of the all the good stuff is in Melbourne. The rest is in Sydney or QLD. With a gem turning up here once in a blue moon. How's that? :)
Much better :D

A nice mix of lathe and mill parts on the same pallet :doh:
The chucks
Various Lathe Chucks, Flat Table, Rotary Table & Milling Machine Spare Part - Lot # 71 (http://www.evansclarke.com.au/detail.asp?id=384680)
The chuck keys
http://www.evansclarke.com.au/detail.asp?id=384658 (http://www.evansclarke.com.au/detail.asp?id=384658)

Maybe its a cunning plan to make you buy two pallets?

.RC.
15th Mar 2012, 06:17 PM

SFA in Qld.... We did not have any car manufacturing in Qld...

eskimo
15th Mar 2012, 08:05 PM
(Should this go in the ebay thread?)

yes...wasnt thinking:-

PDW
15th Mar 2012, 08:06 PM
SFA in Qld.... We did not have any car manufacturing in Qld...

Don't complain to *me*!

PDW

eskimo
15th Mar 2012, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the tip Eskimo... :2tsup: No I didn't buy anything, but I was sorely tempted by a few of the items...

It's stupid how they organize their auction lots, all the accessories seperated from the machines and loaded willy nilly onto pallets...

you didnt get anything..what about the 2 tool post grinders...you didnt get them?

and yes it is silly how they/why they do that

a few years ago they had to sell to ammunition reloading bays
they sold the 2 bays sepeartely and then split all the components up

no one got a complete system

Jayson
15th Mar 2012, 11:09 PM
If anyone purchased from that auction and would like something bought part way back to you send me a pm and I'll see if I can do it for you. I'll be over in Adelaide Monday midday and Back in Horsham on Monday night

Regards,

Jayson.

morrisman
16th Mar 2012, 11:05 PM
Spotted on that E..y site

Do a search on "drill press" ..its only got a day to go, BEGA area

MIKE

Ueee
16th Mar 2012, 11:27 PM
Thats A beauty:2tsup:!
Good spotting Mike.

Ewan

.RC.
16th Mar 2012, 11:30 PM
Not as good as the one in Byron Bay... :D

RayG
17th Mar 2012, 09:06 AM
If anyone purchased from that auction and would like something bought part way back to you send me a pm and I'll see if I can do it for you. I'll be over in Adelaide Monday midday and Back in Horsham on Monday night

Regards,

Jayson.

Hi Jayson,

I'm nominating your Surface Grinder buy as the best bargain of the year.... :2tsup:

Good luck with the move, be sure to check the table, and if it's on rolling balls, remove the table before you move it.

Regards
Ray

Jayson
17th Mar 2012, 09:41 AM
Thanks Ray,

I will post some updates when I get it home.

Fingers crossed everything will go smoothly.

Jayson.

morrisman
17th Mar 2012, 10:32 AM
Thats A beauty:2tsup:!
Good spotting Mike.

Ewan

Here is another big drill Ewan ,its sitting on 50 bucks . Could be the bargain of the decade :2tsup:

Vintage DRILL PRESS | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-DRILL-PRESS-/190651609693?pt=AU_Power_Tools&hash=item2c63b8b25d)

.RC.
17th Mar 2012, 12:42 PM
I see Asset Plant is selling 3 ex-tafe Pacific FU-1250's on a popular online auction site...

Ueee
17th Mar 2012, 06:34 PM
I see Asset Plant is selling 3 ex-tafe Pacific FU-1250's on a popular online auction site...

A link, if i may?

Ewan

.RC.
17th Mar 2012, 06:48 PM
Massive TAFE Vic Fabrication, Welding & Engineering Sale (http://www.graysonline.com/sale/3001050/manufacturing/massive-tafe-vic-fabrication-welding-engineering-sale-vic-pick-up?spr=true)

Ueee
17th Mar 2012, 06:56 PM
What was that about VIC having all the good stuff?:C
Lots of welders there too

Ewan

Log
17th Mar 2012, 06:57 PM
.RC.
I hope you checked that Ueee could say the secret word, dance the secret dance and do the secret handshake before giving him the link:D.

I was just about to give it to him on trust, as we know this information is not to put in the public domain.:laughing1:

Cheers.

Ueee
17th Mar 2012, 07:03 PM
Something like "that not black but not white auction site" would have done it for me, if you wanted to be more secretive!:? Searching for Pacific FU, Mill auction etc came up with no results.

Ewan

welder
17th Mar 2012, 07:21 PM
Here is a little shaper in Victoria.

Milling machine shaper Metal | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Milling-machine-shaper-Metal-/220978531952?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item337358ce70#ht_500wt_949)

Ueee
17th Mar 2012, 08:46 PM

Milling machine shaper Metal | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Milling-machine-shaper-Metal-/220978531952?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item337358ce70#ht_500wt_949)

Hehe its tiny...but it has some kind of hold over me..its a shaper...i want it. ONCE AGAIN IN VIC:C

A sad Ewan

Big Shed
17th Mar 2012, 08:50 PM
Hehe its tiny...but it has some kind of hold over me..its a shaper...i want it. ONCE AGAIN IN VIC:C

A sad Ewan

Don't you have a car?????????

Ueee
17th Mar 2012, 08:55 PM
Don't you have a car?????????

Oh good point, now if you could be so kind as to lend me some time......I'll give it back when i'm done, promise!:D

Ewan

Jayson
17th Mar 2012, 09:01 PM
Ask some of the locals in that big fancy building there to give you some. There must be plenty of it there as they waste it all day long...

.RC.
18th Mar 2012, 03:09 PM
Cannot really follow ebay some times.... I had this mill on my watch list Milling Machine | eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=180836826674)

It has a BIG ISO40 5hp head with at least a 100mm diameter quill. probably 105mm.... Far more rigid then the bridgeport sized head..... Overall a pretty good mill and looks to be in very good condition... I decided not to bid as it is not really what I want.... I expected it to go for at least $4000, closer to $5000... Just made $3000... That is cheap for that unit...

racer123
19th Mar 2012, 08:07 AM
Shameless self promotion.
I have a horizontal milling adaptor for a bridgeport style mill on ebay at the moment.
Horizontal milling attachment bridgeport hare and forbes BM30 NT30 | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251018154748)

Dave

.RC.
19th Mar 2012, 08:57 AM
I have one for my mill and the head on it's own is a very very very very very handy bit of gear to have...

PDW
19th Mar 2012, 12:16 PM
Shameless self promotion.
I have a horizontal milling adaptor for a bridgeport style mill on ebay at the moment.
Horizontal milling attachment bridgeport hare and forbes BM30 NT30 | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251018154748)

Dave

Yes, I saw that but unfortunately it's the wrong taper for my mill.

A handy item even if you do have a horizontal mill because you can swivel the head parallel with the table X axis and use it as a half-arsed horizontal borer - which is a lot better than no horizontal borer!

PDW

Log
19th Mar 2012, 10:01 PM
Nice Victoria M2 milling machine :2tsup:

Milling machine | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Milling-machine-/180844730551?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2a1b2f98b7)

I have a Victoria U2, IF the M2 wasn't "south of the border down Mexico way":D and the price wasn't too high I'd have a go at it.:doh:. Like I need extra projects:C:doh:.

Cheers.

Stustoys
20th Mar 2012, 12:18 PM
"This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available. | View relisted item (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251022116984)"

How can an item that is no was ended because it was no longer available be relisted?:think:

Stuart

racer123
20th Mar 2012, 12:28 PM
That is my item.
Strange that the reason ebay is quoting is that it is unavailable.
It was ended because the there was an error in the starting price.
That was the reason I ticked on the end item page.
There was no bids on the item so I chose to end it and relist as a classified ad with best offer and local pickup only.
Dave

.RC.
20th Mar 2012, 02:34 PM
As a buyer and not the seller I did not see anything wrong with the starting price.... :D:D

PDW
20th Mar 2012, 02:57 PM
As a buyer and not the seller I did not see anything wrong with the starting price.... :D:D

Neither did I, not that I was going to bid because it's the wrong taper for me. I think Dave lost his nerve due to lack of action, myself, and didn't want to see it sold for $200. Whatever.

A lot of people, myself included, never bid except in the last dying seconds of an auction so as not to telegraph interest and allow other people to nibble away trying to find out what your top price is. I just bid the maximum I'm prepared to pay, if I win, fine, if not I don't care because someone else wanted it more. Sellers who pull items from sale due to lack of bids are annoying but it doesn't happen all that often.

PDW

Jekyll and Hyde
20th Mar 2012, 07:47 PM
A lot of people, myself included, never bid except in the last dying seconds of an auction so as not to telegraph interest and allow other people to nibble away trying to find out what your top price is. I just bid the maximum I'm prepared to pay, if I win, fine, if not I don't care because someone else wanted it more. Sellers who pull items from sale due to lack of bids are annoying but it doesn't happen all that often.

PDW

Yep - exactly... I recently watched the end of an auction for a bench with a dawn vise on it, and much of the action came from two guys, with one or two extras who put in increasingly larger bids (not just auto bids) over the days, trying to get the lead. But in the last hour or two, it was only two bidders playing the game. The stupidity of it was, that if either of them had not bid for the last 2 hours, right up until the last 5 seconds, they would have got the damn thing for less than half the price the winner ended up paying...:doh:

racer123
20th Mar 2012, 07:56 PM
The other reason I have changed this to a classified ad is that I do not want to freight the item. It is too heavy for post and the amount of time to pack it properly is not something I have available at the moment.
I would probably have taken the $200 if I knew that it was going to be collected and I wouldn't have to muck around with freight.
We will see what is offered now that it is local pickup only.
Dave

Anorak Bob
20th Mar 2012, 08:07 PM
Yep - exactly... I recently watched the end of an auction for a bench with a dawn vise on it, and much of the action came from two guys, with one or two extras who put in increasingly larger bids (not just auto bids) over the days, trying to get the lead. But in the last hour or two, it was only two bidders playing the game. The stupidity of it was, that if either of them had not bid for the last 2 hours, right up until the last 5 seconds, they would have got the damn thing for less than half the price the winner ended up paying...:doh:

It's a fairly frequent occurence. Remember the 5,600 dollar Waldown drill. :o
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/waldown-drill-press-140202/index2.html

If I really want something I'll wait till 5 or less seconds from the end but sometimes I will place a bid early and if someone wants it more, they can have it. Picked up a pair of new Jap Eron 3" vee blocks this morning for $19.99. No other bidders. I placed my bid 3 hours before the end. Happens now and again, maybe no one else looked at them.

BT

Jekyll and Hyde
20th Mar 2012, 08:36 PM

Does anyone have any thoughts on the origin of this little beast? I can't make much out in the photos, other than the table looks like it may be homemade, and a few other bits kind of look like they might have scavenged from elsewhere... Could be wrong though, often am!

.RC.
20th Mar 2012, 08:40 PM
Dave

not as much compared to if you offered freight...

You have just reduced your selling audience to sweet bugger all....

Jekyll and Hyde
20th Mar 2012, 08:45 PM
It's a fairly frequent occurence. Remember the 5,600 dollar Waldown drill. :o
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/waldown-drill-press-140202/index2.html
BT

Yes, I've seen it happen a bit, but I was just amazed at how this particular auction played out with such stupidity. Not so often only two guys continually increase their max bid to end up so much higher than they start - if I remember correctly, one of them was leading the bidding for about the first 3 or 4 days (the other only appeared in the last day or two), and his original max bid was about a fifth of what the bench went for in the end.

Often it just seems to be a complete rabble of random bidders trying to one-up the price that is there for them to see....

Ueee
20th Mar 2012, 08:59 PM
Picked up a pair of new Jap Eron 3" vee blocks this morning for $19.99. No other bidders. I placed my bid 3 hours before the end. Happens now and again, maybe no one else looked at them.

BT

He sold three sets of them. I was going to bid but got sidetracked and managed to miss all three:doh:

Ewan

Stustoys
20th Mar 2012, 09:14 PM
He sold three sets of them. I was going to bid but got sidetracked and managed to miss all three:doh:

Ewan
Dont worry, he seems to have plenty, I bought some off him on 3/3/2010
Stuart

PDW
20th Mar 2012, 10:11 PM
The other reason I have changed this to a classified ad is that I do not want to freight the item. It is too heavy for post and the amount of time to pack it properly is not something I have available at the moment.
I would probably have taken the $200 if I knew that it was going to be collected and I wouldn't have to muck around with freight.
Dave

So basically you've doubled the price and restricted potential purchasers to those who can get to your place and collect it. How is this going to increase your chances of selling it?

As I've said, I wasn't in the market because I don't have any desire to buy a 30 taper milling head, but a lot of other people with mills but not close to you might. None of them can bid. IMO you'd be a lot better off figuring the freight to Perth, adding that to the starting price (plus packing etc) and advertise it including freight to anywhere on the big island. Tasmania is always more expensive :-(

PDW

rlaxton
21st Mar 2012, 03:55 PM
lovely little lathe :U

Nuttal & Herbert Electric Lathe 240v | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nuttal-Herbert-Electric-Lathe-240v-/260973052975?pt=AU_Hardware&hash=item3cc334c42f#ht_500wt_1413)

Cooper
I won that lathe... it is awesome! I have started a new thread on the site asking for anyone who might know anything about manuals and so on. I can't believe that the thing has no sort of identifying plate giving manufacture date :-(

Richard.

.RC.
21st Mar 2012, 06:37 PM
LOL -->> WELDER - MIG - TIG - STAINLESS - F...! THIS LITTLE BUGGER WELDS WOOD! | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WELDER-MIG-TIG-STAINLESS-F-LITTLE-BUGGER-WELDS-WOOD-/280848748577?pt=AU_Welding&hash=item4163e3d021#ht_500wt_1156)

Jekyll and Hyde
21st Mar 2012, 06:51 PM
LOL -->> WELDER - MIG - TIG - STAINLESS - F...! THIS LITTLE BUGGER WELDS WOOD! | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WELDER-MIG-TIG-STAINLESS-F-LITTLE-BUGGER-WELDS-WOOD-/280848748577?pt=AU_Welding&hash=item4163e3d021#ht_500wt_1156)

Lol - that's a new one! Here's the one he had up before:

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WELDER-MIG-TIG-UNBELIEVABLY-CHEAP-AND-FREE-LANDCRUISER-/280845324950?pt=AU_Welding&hash=item4163af9296)

welder
21st Mar 2012, 08:57 PM
Here's 4 douglas shapers with vises :o:o

Douglas shaper | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Douglas-shaper-/140727458716?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item20c4029b9c#ht_500wt_1202)

kwijibo99
21st Mar 2012, 09:00 PM
Here's 4 Douglas shapers with vices on offer.
Probably not the cheapest you could get but sounds like they come with the lot.
If they were in Melbourne I would already have made an offer on one of them but the good stuff is always in Sydney :roll:

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Douglas-shaper-/140727458716?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item20c4029b9c)

He's also got a Hercus O Mill with the lot too by the sound of it.

No affiliation with seller.

Cheers,
Greg.

Ueee
21st Mar 2012, 09:17 PM
There is also a 14" Alba....eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220981365061&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:AU:1123)

kwijibo99
21st Mar 2012, 09:25 PM
And here's a lathe that would leave a wet spot in your undies.
This has the potential to be one heck of a bargain for someone, I just wish I had somwhere to put it.

HARRISON CENTRE LATHE for TURNING MACHINING etc | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HARRISON-CENTRE-LATHE-TURNING-MACHINING-etc-/270939802284?pt=AU_Hardware&hash=item3f15454aac)

I've gotta not look at ebay anymore.

Cheers,
Greg.

Ueee
21st Mar 2012, 09:32 PM
There is also a Great Scott. eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230764185750&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:AU:1123)

Ueee
21st Mar 2012, 09:35 PM
Here's 4 douglas shapers with vises :o:o

Douglas shaper | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Douglas-shaper-/140727458716?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item20c4029b9c#ht_500wt_1202)

Why does all the stuff you want show up just after you have spend all your spending money?:C

neksmerj
22nd Mar 2012, 10:25 PM
This Hercus 260 seams too cheap

Metal Lathe - Hercus 260 | Tools & DIY | Gumtree Australia Bankstown Area - Sefton (http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sefton/tools-diy/metal-lathe-hercus-260/355345516)

Ken

jack620
24th Mar 2012, 05:25 PM
Ken,
I guess it depends on the bed wear. I paid $2450 for a late serial number 260 in good nick with quite a few goodies.

I notice the right hand headstock bearing oiler has been knocked off. I wonder how long it's been off for and when was the last time the bearing got any oil?

jhovel
25th Mar 2012, 08:20 PM
I followed the Gumtree link machinery suit model makers | Tools & DIY | Gumtree Australia Hurstville Area - Peakhurst (http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/peakhurst/tools-diy/machinery-suit-model-makers/1000101095) because it had the word "Douglas" in it and found a reference to its vice.
So I contacted the seller and was sent some photos and his price for the complete shaper.
It is the earlier version Douglas with the cast logo on the ram and the vice is not a Douglas. It does however look well maintained.
The seller wrote:
"hi joe, ty for your interest, the shaper is a douglas 10 inch and age unknown i should imagine it to be at leaast 50 years old but inspite of this is still in good working order, i have replaced some bearings and the vertical lead screw, the motor is single phase and runs on 240 volts, the machine is extremely acurate and comes with a 360% swivel machine vice and some tooling as well as various amounts of material, also included is a steel mobile work bench, the only reason for this sale is i am now over 80 my sight is poor and i wish to relocate to some kind of retirement village, for all of the above i want $800.. the shaper will need to be taken apart to move as it is quite heavy when i brouht it here i broke it down to four parts and reasembled it here, it may be that 4 men could lift it or if yiou have some kind of small mobile crane.. i hope that this information in enough...
brian"

That looks like a reasonable deal for someone living near Sydney.

Joe

xXvapourXx
25th Mar 2012, 08:31 PM
OMG!!!
That is one pretty good deal, wonder how small the lathe is??
Guess it cant beat my bargain ;) south bend lathe, work bench with sander, 8 inch grinder, power hacksaw and a waldown pedestal drill press for $400 and the guy we bought it off got it for $25!!!! :D :D

Cooper

Log
25th Mar 2012, 08:53 PM
I followed the Gumtree link machinery suit model makers | Tools & DIY | Gumtree Australia Hurstville Area - Peakhurst (http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/peakhurst/tools-diy/machinery-suit-model-makers/1000101095) because it had the word "Douglas" in it and found a reference to its vice.
So I contacted the seller and was sent some photos and his price for the complete shaper.
It is the earlier version Douglas with the cast logo on the ram and the vice is not a Douglas. It does however look well maintained.
The seller wrote:
"hi joe, ty for your interest, the shaper is a douglas 10 inch and age unknown i should imagine it to be at leaast 50 years old but inspite of this is still in good working order, i have replaced some bearings and the vertical lead screw, the motor is single phase and runs on 240 volts, the machine is extremely acurate and comes with a 360% swivel machine vice and some tooling as well as various amounts of material, also included is a steel mobile work bench, the only reason for this sale is i am now over 80 my sight is poor and i wish to relocate to some kind of retirement village, for all of the above i want $800.. the shaper will need to be taken apart to move as it is quite heavy when i brouht it here i broke it down to four parts and reasembled it here, it may be that 4 men could lift it or if yiou have some kind of small mobile crane.. i hope that this information in enough...
brian"

That looks like a reasonable deal for someone living near Sydney.

Joe

Looks to be a decent sized vice:2tsup: and I like his large graduated collar on the tool head down feed:2tsup:, might think about something similar for mine.

Cheers

Steamwhisperer
25th Mar 2012, 09:31 PM
Woo hoo. Finally another Douglas the same as mine.

jhovel
25th Mar 2012, 10:24 PM
Same base too? Yours looked narrower.
Joe

welder
25th Mar 2012, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the heaps up i am going to hopefully have a look at the shaper on saturday if it works out :B

Steamwhisperer
25th Mar 2012, 11:25 PM
Nah, it's the same Joe. No work table support that I can see though.

Phil

Ueee
31st Mar 2012, 08:12 PM
Wow i've never seen a dial gauge with this much travel!:q

Teclock Dial Indicator Gauge Metric 0-110mm TM-110, 55mm face diameter | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Teclock-Dial-Indicator-Gauge-Metric-0-110mm-TM-110-55mm-face-diameter-/260989394216?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3cc42e1d28)

Amazing what an extra 1 can do.....

Ueee
31st Mar 2012, 08:40 PM
Wow i've never seen a dial gauge with this much travel!:q

Teclock Dial Indicator Gauge Metric 0-110mm TM-110, 55mm face diameter | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Teclock-Dial-Indicator-Gauge-Metric-0-110mm-TM-110-55mm-face-diameter-/260989394216?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3cc42e1d28)

Amazing what an extra 1 can do.....

Please note this was posted in the Ebay furball thread and moved here as the furball thread was closed

Anorak Bob
1st Apr 2012, 12:32 AM
Talk about Dulux refurbs. This poor Waldown has been immersed. Being tableless doesn't add to it's appeal. Down feed without a pinion would also be challenging.

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140733202286&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:AU:1123)

BT

Bryan
1st Apr 2012, 09:35 AM
Talk about Dulux refurbs. This poor Waldown has been immersed. Being tableless doesn't add to it's appeal. Down feed without a pinion would also be challenging.

BT

Only someone who has never drilled a hole in their life could describe that as:

OUTSTANDING CONDITION
STILL PERFECT FOR USE AS A BENCH DRILL
GREAT PIECE OF MACHINERY

I have attempted to set them straight.

bwal74
1st Apr 2012, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the heaps up i am going to hopefully have a look at the shaper on saturday if it works out :B

Hi Welder,

Did you make it to the inspection? If so, how'd it look? I'm kinda interested but will most likely have to wait awhile.

Cheers Ben

welder
1st Apr 2012, 07:48 PM
Nah the seller was unavailable on Saturday so didn't get a chance to look at it :C:C

bwal74
1st Apr 2012, 08:52 PM
That's no good. I'm doing my best not to call the bloke, don't think I could explain to my wife how I ended up with a shaper in the garage.

Ben

.RC.
2nd Apr 2012, 09:26 AM
Just say you were drugged...

bwal74
2nd Apr 2012, 06:14 PM
Just say you were drugged...

I missed my window of opportunity today. Missuses and most of the kids out, could of went around after work and "viewed" it but chances of buying it where too high.

I'll just have to wait for the right time (ie Just me home with no one looking over my shoulder!).

Ben

welder
2nd Apr 2012, 10:15 PM
What do you think of this mill :?

BIERNATZKI V2 DRILL PRESS | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BIERNATZKI-V2-DRILL-PRESS-/300690285968?pt=AU_Hardware&hash=item460289a590#ht_500wt_1202)

bwal74
2nd Apr 2012, 10:44 PM
They advertised it as a drill press?? Cheap, if you can lift it. Looked like it had some tooling - chuck on the table, maybe a dividing head?

Ben.

ps Welder, are you going to try for that shaper up here?

Ueee
2nd Apr 2012, 10:50 PM
What do you think of this mill :?

BIERNATZKI V2 DRILL PRESS | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BIERNATZKI-V2-DRILL-PRESS-/300690285968?pt=AU_Hardware&hash=item460289a590#ht_500wt_1202)

Well i could make some educated remarks....but as the photo's where taken under candlelight its a bit hard to say. One thing though, the dividing head would be worth a pretty penny on its own. Looks solid, and like there is a bit of gear with it.

Ewan

bwal74
2nd Apr 2012, 11:04 PM
Hi,

I went back and had another look, pretty sure the drill chuck has been welded to the spindle. About the fourth last photo. If it's old Eastern European if you'd wonder if you could get modern tooling for it.

It's too big and uncertain for me. There was a Cinninatti (cant spell it properly) No 2 Milling machine with HEAPS of tooling and extras on ebay in Sydney last week for starting bid of $2000 and buy it price of $3200 (I think), lasted one night. I reckon that would of been a good buy.

Ben

welder
2nd Apr 2012, 11:05 PM
They advertised it as a drill press?? Cheap, if you can lift it. Looked like it had some tooling - chuck on the table, maybe a dividing head?

Ben.

ps Welder, are you going to try for that shaper up here?

nah i already have a shaper but i wanted to look at it anyway. and the mill comes with the dividing head.