PDA

View Full Version : trailer lights

macklin
1st Jan 2005, 03:40 PM
I have just bought a 7 pin plug for the trailer (the wires were pulled from the car plug so I dont know where they were)

the instructions say put the colored wires in certain numbers on the plug which I have done, i got one left light to work and nothing else, I have tried putting the wires in other numbers but no luck, i assumed following instructions should have worked ???????????

any ideas please

thank you

john macklin

Soren
1st Jan 2005, 03:47 PM
It "should" work, provided that the cable colours in the wiring loom are correct, ie 'no-one' has made any alterations to the loom.

Is it possible that you have the signal wire and the earth wire switched ?
This would produce your described result

regards

Soren

macklin
1st Jan 2005, 04:01 PM
thank you soren for your quick reply

I am not sure what the loom is

the earth goes in number 3
no mention of signal

1 left turn yellow
2 reverse black
3 earth white
4 right hand green
5 service brakes blue
6 stop light red
7 in the middle brown

nobody has touched the wires or plug and all was working ok beforen they came out of the plug.

thank you

john macklin

macklin
1st Jan 2005, 04:05 PM
forgot to mention

I had to turn the inside connections around so that it would fit on the car socket (matching up the slot and the male female connections)
i dont see how this would affect it tho as the colors match the numbers.

thank you

john macklin

The Big O
1st Jan 2005, 05:54 PM
Hi John, there have been a few trailer plugs sold over the last year or so that have the numbers printed in reverse order. You may have got one of those. Because you have one left light working try swapping the earth white with the red (after disconnecting all others). Try your brakes with only those two wires connected. If that works, connect other colours one at a time in reverse order.
eg 1=6,2=5, 3=4,4=3, 5=2.

If that doesn't work, disconnect the outlet on the car and match wires from there.

regards, Lionel.

macklin
1st Jan 2005, 06:58 PM
thanks the big o (trust me to get a crook one)

will give it a try later.

once again thank you

john macklin

Ben from Vic.
1st Jan 2005, 07:43 PM
Just incase your not having enough fun, have you considered that the trailer may be wired wrong? :eek: :eek:

As the other have said, check the earth, if this is correct, you can sort out any problems.

The general rule is that every man must wire up his plug his own way, so that no two are ever alike. :rolleyes: :D ;)

This makes borowing someones trailer a painfull and difficult task, the way it should be.

Could you imagine a world were all trailer plugs were wired the same??? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Dion N
1st Jan 2005, 07:57 PM
Have you got a test lamp? If not, you can use a trailer bulb.

1. turn the headlamps on and try your test lamp with one wire connected to the car body and the other wire of the test lamp connected to each of the seven wires in turn. The wire that lights up the lamp is the tail light wire.

2. Mark the tail light wire, turn off the headlamps and put one blinker on and test the remaining six wires until you get a flashing light. Mark the blinker wire and try the other blinker, then the brake pedal etc until you have one wire left which is the earth wire.