PDA

View Full Version : Painting the trailer

buildspacetrain
7th Aug 2010, 11:04 PM
Hi Chaps,
Just in the process of painting the new and soon to be finished tandem (only taken me 5 months), and thought I would pass on a painting tip.
Painted the whole frame with a coat of red oxide primer and then decided on charcoal coloured hammer finish paint.
It took 3 top coats to finally cover the red colour of the red oxide undercoat. And even then I can see some very faint red underneath on some areas.
Hammer finish paint ain't cheap and I ended up using 4 litres on a skeleton framed trailer.
BUT it really turned out looking the part and glad I took the extra time for the 3rd coat.
Moral of the story? Use grey or dark colour metal primer!
Cheery O.

Yonnee
8th Aug 2010, 10:44 AM
LOL, I think you learnt the hard way. The only time you really want to use a Red Oxide primer is under a Red or Brown top coat. You would have been better with a Black Etch primer instead.

Did you spray the Hammertone, or brush on?

If you sprayed it, be very careful with what you put through the gun next. There will just about always be residual traces of the silicone from the Hammertone still in the gun, no matter how many times you clean it. When I worked at a paint manufacturing place, we had separate guns, Micron testers, rags, brushes and clean up thinners all set aside specifically for Hammertone so as not to contaminate the other batches.

antoni
8th Aug 2010, 10:30 PM
Hi can you still buy Red Oxide primer?
Was it oil or metho based .
Did a boat trailer some time ago (2years) only got metho based primer #### to work with..
The red was good under black.and filled pin holes.
Tony

buildspacetrain
8th Aug 2010, 11:13 PM
Hi Tony,
Just love red oxide paint.
Had a friend who brush hand painted his car with red oxide, no top coat just red oxide.
Even makes crappy welds look good and stronger!
Just used a brush to paint the trailer frame.
Oil based paint I suppose, it cleans in turps.

Strom
10th Aug 2010, 07:10 PM
Yes Red Oxide is still readily available..
It is available in both Thinners based (Specifically for spraying)
And turps based for spraying or brushwork..
I Normally pick it up at Solver trade Depo's..
As noted above it is best used beneath reds or browns..
If your intending on spraying gun metal hammer finish
Cold Gal would have been the better option as a base coat on bare steel..