PDA

View Full Version : Trailer lights help

makak01
20th Feb 2010, 08:59 PM
HELLO ALL
I have install my tralier lights for the boat and everything seems to be working fine the only problem is that when i apply the brake the blinkers wont work,thay will work if i do not apply the brake but will not work at the same time .when applying the brake everything lights up and blinkers do not flash

SurfinNev
20th Feb 2010, 09:37 PM
Check theStop/Tail light bulbs are the correct ones is all I can think of at the moment.

Nev

DJ’s Timber
20th Feb 2010, 09:43 PM
Check your earth connections. A lot of the faults are quite often caused by a poor earth

Are you relying on the towball for an earth back to the vehicle or an earth wire?

makak01
20th Feb 2010, 10:09 PM
i think i am relying on the earth wire as i brought the connector kit that splices into orignal car wirers

DJ’s Timber
20th Feb 2010, 10:35 PM
Check that the earth wires on the trailer are connect through to the plug as well, quite often the lights are earthed to the body of the trailer, but if there is no wire from the plug to the body of the trailer, then it's relying on the towball for the earth.

Yonnee
21st Feb 2010, 07:57 AM
OK, before we start chasing red herrings here, did you wire the car, or the boat, or both?

i think i am relying on the earth wire as i brought the connector kit that splices into orignal car wirers

This connector kit... Is this a universal pre-made wiring loom for the tow vehicle with bare wire ends that you had to connect to the tow vehicle's wiring loom. Or was it a pre-made loom specifically for the tow vehicle that plugged into the factory connectors?

Do you have a second tow vehicle, or a friend or neighbour with a towbar? Does the boat trailer work correctly on theirs? Checking this will point you in the direction of which vehicle you need to chase the fault, tow vehicle or trailer.

makak01
21st Feb 2010, 02:07 PM
it a pre-made loom specifically for the tow vehicle that plugged into the factory connectors? the boat trailer was aleady wired up with its own connector.

i will be testing all of the above thanks for u guys help