PDA

View Full Version : 4wd steel rear bumper

Chikoroll
22nd Jul 2009, 12:01 AM
buildup of my steel rear bumper (still needs finishing, but can't do that till it's professionally welded)

destroyed the crappy plastic thing after much offroad abuse, and sick of morons in carparks sideswiping the backend my fourby....

so to kill 2 birds with 1 stone, make a steel rear bumper

i mocked it up with timber first so i could mould it to my desire (but can't find the photo's atm.....)
i'll let the photo's do the describing for the metal work:2tsup:

jatt
22nd Jul 2009, 10:08 PM
It will do the job. Looks better than my wire tied bumper.

Yonnee
24th Jul 2009, 11:22 PM
Good stuff.
One of the many projects on my list is a new rear bumper for the Paj.

Strom
7th Aug 2009, 11:24 PM
But hear is a stupid question...

(I am suprised it hasn't been asked allready)
I am guessing this vehicle is comprehensively insured.. (Av you guessed allready where I am going with this? :doh:)
In the box where they ask you if there are any modifications to the vehicle what have you ticked ?..
Need I go on ???..
Just some food for thought..
It looks like a liability nightmare to me !!! :o

Cheers..

Yonnee
7th Aug 2009, 11:34 PM
I dont really see too much of a problem. If you let your insurance company know you've changed the rear bar... what's the difference between that and a bullbar?

Strom
8th Aug 2009, 10:52 AM
Hi not to be a stick in the mud but...
You know how Insurance companys can be in the event of an accident..
The only difference I can see between this home made bumper bar
and a bullbar (assuming the bull bar isn't obviously home made)..
Is that the bull bar would meet all relevant standards and have certification.. (The insurance companys like this)
I would definitely be bringing it to the attention of your insurance company
my guess is that because it is home made they will not like it..
If they say it's ok get it in writing.. (And cover your ass)

Hear is some food for thought..
If you where to be rear ended and sustained structural damage rather than cosmetic damage
because the home made reinforced steel bumper bar you have fitted to your vehicle did not
fold and crumple as they designed to do..
Would your Insurance company be happy to pay to have the structural damage sustained
to your vehicle repaired ??..

Yonnee
9th Aug 2009, 10:17 AM
OK, I understand your concern, and while everyone loves to think that insurance companies love voiding claims because of un-notified modifications, it wouldn't stand up in a court of law. Providing that the item is not the cause of the accident, they cannot deny a claim. They can, however, deny a claim on items not declared on the policy.

As far as I know, most crumple zones on vehicles are in the front, and therefore the bullbar's requirement for meeting standards is duly noted, however I know of no such requirement for a rear bumper bar. Only a Towbar requires such approval. So... if he was fabricating a rear bumper that incorporated a towbar, that would be an entirely different kettle of fish.

glen boulton
9th Aug 2009, 10:37 AM
how heavy is it. wow. i can see lots of hours in it.

i don't care about the insurance side so i'm not going to add a comment.

but i will say cars are designed with crumple zones on all aspects of accidents. not just side front and rear, but cross laterally as well. (diagonally)

i reckon you would be hard pressed to get done for it.

looks tops so far. cant wait to see how you finnish it off. i imagine that something goes over it yet??

SurfinNev
9th Aug 2009, 10:02 PM
So... if he was fabricating a rear bumper that incorporated a towbar, that would be an entirely different kettle of fish.

He is, isn't he? What are the regulations for this? Any links to them? I am building a combination Rear Bar/Towbar/Wheel Carrier. Mine is basically a copy of a well known type with a couple of slight mods.

Nev

Yonnee
10th Aug 2009, 12:18 AM
He is, isn't he?
Not from what I see. The last two pics show the existing towbar mounted behind the new bar.

What are the regulations for this? Any links to them? I am building a combination Rear Bar/Towbar/Wheel Carrier. Mine is basically a copy of a well known type with a couple of slight mods.

Nev
ADR 62/00 pretty much states that any towbar fitted to a vehicle must be from an accredited manufacturer, who has had their towbars tested to withstand specific forces applied to the towbar and towing vehicle.
This is one link I found, and I'm certain there's more...
http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legislation/LegislativeInstrument1.nsf/0/B6CFE7A6E6701048CA2571E6001DC519/$file/ADR+62-00+%5BFINAL+FRLI%5D.doc

I'm not saying you can't physically build one, you just can't legally unless you're prepared to got to all the trouble of getting yours tested and approved once you're finished.

Chikoroll
6th Jan 2010, 02:52 AM
G'day mate, fair call on this

no, it isn't comprehensive insured, just 3rd party

i'm not at all concerned about it even if it were, the barn door is the item that sit out the furthermost, and to replace the barn door with tyre and rim costs $4000, the bumper a further $300, the maintenance to any body damage another $2000-$3000, this has now exceeded the value of the vehicle and will then be an insurance write off

the rear bumper of jackaroo's are not designed to crumple like anything modern, they are brick design, if they are hit with an impact that would destroy the chassis with this bumper, they will destroy the chassis and body of the stock bumper

Kaymar and the likes opened the doors to steel rear bumpers :)

no, this is not having a towbar added to it, the stock towbar remains untouched below it

Hi not to be a stick in the mud but...
You know how Insurance companys can be in the event of an accident..
The only difference I can see between this home made bumper bar
and a bullbar (assuming the bull bar isn't obviously home made)..
Is that the bull bar would meet all relevant standards and have certification.. (The insurance companys like this)
I would definitely be bringing it to the attention of your insurance company
my guess is that because it is home made they will not like it..
If they say it's ok get it in writing.. (And cover your ass)

Hear is some food for thought..
If you where to be rear ended and sustained structural damage rather than cosmetic damage
because the home made reinforced steel bumper bar you have fitted to your vehicle did not
fold and crumple as they designed to do..
Would your Insurance company be happy to pay to have the structural damage sustained
to your vehicle repaired ??..

Chikoroll
6th Jan 2010, 03:03 AM
retilt the angle, this is the most angle it can take if given a decent whack offroad

the corners are just filled in with teak and painted over

no it isn't finished, just painted over, might just bog the joints and paint it again and paint the body work black behind it
i'm thinking about painting it chrome silver

i tried folding sheetmetal around it, but couldn't get a look i was happy with, so off it came

cops are happy with it, new lower lights are getting wired in again soon

it makes for a very nice step/seat/whatever

so far it has been run into 4 times up the ####, twice on the corners and dropped hard a few times offroad....

damage assessment - 6 broken bumpers, paint scrapes

glen boulton - how heavy is it. wow. i can see lots of hours in it.42kg's

yep slightly heavier than stock, but i don't care, the vehicle doesn't use any extra fuel than stock and is permanently loaded with 400kg's inside

Yonnee
7th Jan 2010, 10:55 PM
Good job.
A bit 'industrial' for my tastes, but certainly practical for protecting your rear panels while increasing your departure angle.

Unless you've got a polished alloy bullbar, I wouldn't paint the rear bar silver, particularly 'chrome' silver. And even with an alloy bulbar, I still wouldn't paint the rear bar silver. The "'Chrome" paint you buy in a spray can is just a bright silver, not chrome. And unless you take the time to clear coat it too, it will look crap after a few weeks. It will show up all grubby hand prints and rub marks, and will be glaringly obvious if you need to touch it up. Satin Black is the way to go. As you can see from the photos, the bar looks pretty inconspicuous in black.

Just my 2c.:2tsup: